PDA

View Full Version : Issues?

Gamegasm
July 26th, 2014, 18:06
Ran my second time as GM in FG last night so I am still pretty new, and everyone in my group is also new to FG so we are all learning together. Here a couple issues I ran into:

1. When characters took items from the parcel in the party screen the potions disappeared from their inventory, but everything else stayed. They were put in parcel as unidentified, ID'd while in parcel then after they figured out what they were, took them out.

2. Targeting issues. 3 different people had trouble targeting enemies, all of them knew how to do it last week but it just wouldn't stick. They tried clicking on their portrait and token or the crosshair on the top and draw box around but it still wouldn't target, but they did have target lines with distance. Sometime even if they had targets when they rolled attack it wouldn't register when they double clicked/hotkey and had them targeted according to CT, it would roll attack on nothing.

3. When I tried to add encounter to the CT it would pop up error saying incorrect tokens and I would have to clear out the tokens and re-add them back onto the map.

4. Crit damage was incorrect. Rogue coupe-de-grace, highlighted the crit modifier in tab so it was red rolled damage (no attack roll was needed as gobby was sleeping) and his result said 2d4+1d6+2 = 10 but on the picture of the dice from the attack it had a d4 and 2d6 +2 = 12 as the result (d6 from sneak attack +2 str)

It went mostly smooth, had trouble with one person was never able to get FG to load his character from server or load the map but after he deleted the whole campaign folder from his computer it worked after he logged back on...oh and google hangouts was FUBAR last nite so we had to use skype so that wasted first 45 minutes, but all in all was fun night.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2014, 18:35
Which ruleset are you using? Each ruleset can do things differently, so knowing which ruleset you are referring to will help with feedback/diagnosis.

Are you using any extensions?

Gamegasm
July 26th, 2014, 19:42
Pathfinder (Rise of the Runelords AE) , and yes extensions:
align cond, alt colourgizmo, enhanced images and items, expanded npc weapons, move dice tower, FGRandom, locations, moduleplus, moodlightling, PFRPG alignment cond, removeeffecttag, shop, 2 dung and 2 wood themes, and town

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 03:18
Ouch, that's a lot of extensions - some of them developed a while ago and they might not be based off the most recent code and could cause issues.

Are all of these activated for the same campaign? That is, are you activating alignment conditions AND PFRPG alignment conditions, for example?

Do you have the most recent versions of these extensions?

Some questions specific to each of your issues:

How are you entering the Potions as items? What is different about the potions that disappear and the other items that stay when identified?
Just to confirm - when the players could see the target arrows and the combat tracker showed they had targets, they were double clicking on an attack entry? They weren't picking up the dice and dropping them in the char window to roll? Are the players running more than on character? Do other linked things work - e.g. if the player rolls initiative does it auto populate in the combat tracker for the correct character?
Is this encounter built within the campaign or is it within a module. Did the encounter have token pre-placement? What is the exact error you're getting?
How have you set up the extra damage type? Is it another entry in the actions tab or as an effect?

Could you provide screenshots of the above issues you're having? I think it will help a lot to see exactly how the data is setup and the exact error message/chat window message.

dulux-oz
July 27th, 2014, 12:41
Pathfinder (Rise of the Runelords AE) , and yes extensions:
align cond, alt colourgizmo, enhanced images and items, expanded npc weapons, move dice tower, FGRandom, locations, moduleplus, moodlightling, PFRPG alignment cond, removeeffecttag, shop, 2 dung and 2 wood themes, and town

OK, so that's obviously the list of Extensions that you have downloaded - but are you running them all at the same time? I would be surprised if you were.

On a (very) related note, let me talk about a couple of those Extension which I know very, very well:

The Alternate Colourgizmo only needs to be loaded if you (or your players) want to change your Signature Colour - otherwise I wouldn't bother loading it at all - the less you have to load the less chance of something interfering with something else.

Having said that, the Alternate Colourgizmo Extension is no-longer required, because Moon Wizard (the principle developer of FG) incorporated the changes in the Extension into the CoreRPG (in v3.0.4, I think) - so its a waste of computer resources to even have it on your hard drive, let alone having to load it and therefore have it downloaded to your players - that's why I no-longer support it (the Extension) - my advice: get rid of it!

The Locations Database Extension includes ALL - and I mean ALL - of the functionality of both the Shop Extension and the Town Extension - it supersedes them, they are no longer required. Furthermore, I cannot guarantee how the Internal Referential Integrity of v2 of the Locations Extension will react to the Shop and/or Town Extensions - it will depend upon which order FG loads them.

I don't know if you know this (I'll assume that you don't, or at least, others reading this thread will not) but an Extension often re-writes/overwrites (in RAM) part of the code of the Ruleset it is used with - BUT they can also overwrite code from another Extension that is loaded at the same time. This is also how the Cascading Ruleset Model works - most of the code is contained in the CoreRPG Ruleset, then the 3.5 DnD (or 4 DnD, or 5 DnD, or whatever) ovewrites part of the CoreRPG code (in RAM) and then the Pathefinder Ruleset overwrites part of the "merged code" of the CoreRPG and the 3.5 DND Rulesets, then the Extensions overwrite their parts, etc, etc, etc.

Again, my advice: you don't need the Town or Shop Extensions any longer, so get rid of them.

Finally, I don't know 100%, but I suspect that if you try to load two Theme Extensions at the same time only one will be correctly displayed - again, due to the fact that most Theme Extensions "overwrite" the SAME piece of code and/or images used by FG - so again, I wouldn't do that.

Hope that helps. Any Qs please ask :)

Cheers

Gamegasm
July 27th, 2014, 14:42
no, I wasn't running all those...just downloaded is what I listed because I couldnt get FG to load kept getting error because I deleted all of the .paks in the ruleset folder and forgot to update afterwards so I couldnt look what I had loaded.
Got rid of the town/shop and colourgizmo.
I am running Exanded NPC weapons, align cond PFRPG, enh images (corerpg+), enhanced items 3.5/pfrpg), dice tower mover, FGRandom, Locations database, ModulePlus, moodlighting (which I can dump but its been fun), Remove effect tag, and dungeon alt 50 theme.

@Trenloe
1. The potions were added from the library to the parcel in the same encounter the same way the weapons were added they were still in their inventory. It wasn't custom potions, just a cure light and cure moderate.

2. Only one character per person and Initiatives were working fine when they double clicked/hotkey...they were not dropping dice down on the tokens (until we couldn't get targeting to work, then that was working fine.)

3. It was not a module, created encounter my self...I didn't get screenie unfortunately and yes it was pre-placement , and when I threw the gobbies bunched together Friday nite they all got sleeped instead of all spread out like I did in preplacement ;(

4. Extra damage type was added attack in Action. we made his Sneak Attack with an extra entry and he was using that attack / damage from there.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 14:50
Not sure about 1-3 without spending some time checking...

For item #4, there is a crit multiplier for each damage entry of the weapon - make sure these are set to the correct x2, x2, etc.. Would like to see a screenshot of the damage setup and the crit roll.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 15:02
Item #1 - I can't recreate, the potions appear fine for me. Are you getting the potions from the PFRPG Magic Items module or some other module?

What happens if you try dragging the potions directly from the module to the character sheet?

Gamegasm
July 27th, 2014, 20:32
Well of course I can't get anything to reproduce for me the only thing I got was the token placement error when adding encounter to CT:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:615: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image.

but when I unchecked mark them from the encounter and re-placed them it was able to place tokens down.

I will take screenies next time we play if we are having any of these issues again.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 20:53
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:615: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image.

but when I unchecked mark them from the encounter and re-placed them it was able to place tokens down.
This sounds like the original image used for the token placement in the encounter is no longer available - have you removed/renamed some images? Closed a module where the images was stored?

Does this happen for all encounters or just the odd one or two?

Could you try creating another encounter with token placement on a map and then immediately try activating the encounter? This will give an idea if it is a general problem (perhaps caused by an extension) or if there is an issue with specific encounters?

Also, what version of the enhanced images extension are you using? The version will appear in the chat window when you load up a campaign.

What version of Fantasy Grounds are you running? 3.06 live or the 3.0.7 beta?

Gamegasm
July 28th, 2014, 02:15
enhanced images v1.0.3, FG 3.06
I did delete metric butt-load of tokens in my shared folder, I didn't realize it would take so long for others to download almost 100mb worth of tokens that they don't need, that was my original thought as well.
I realized that I used my first encounter for my trial since they already got past that and I didn't want to mess anything up they haven't done...looks like the next 5 or so load ok (which I did after deleting all of the shared tokens)

ddavison
July 28th, 2014, 20:54
I'm curious if they assigned a name to the potions in the parcel window and then distributed or if they just dragged it out of the window.

Gamegasm
July 28th, 2014, 23:31
I did have a name in it so I knew which one they were talking about if they didn't identify it. they dragged it out of the window themselves.