PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring - Extension Update

Valarian
July 26th, 2014, 15:33
There's an update (version 4) to the Foundations Core extension for The One Ring. The extension adds Eye of Sauron check marks against the common skills for those who have Rivendell and want to play High Elves.

Foundations Core folder (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3RTRremljMXo3N1E&usp=sharing)
Now … use the fcore-TOR.pak file and put it in to the rulesets folder in the Fantasy Grounds application directory (linked in the top right of the Fantasy Grounds launcher).

The template library module is provided for reference. This contains names of skills, traits, and stats only. I’ve consciously put less than is available on Azrapse’s character generator (https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html) in here - as that seems to be the indicator of what is okay as a fair use of the copyrighted material (at least, it’s been going for years without being asked to be taken down and was also actively promoted on Cubicle 7’s own web forum - when they had one).
The library module I use for my own game has a lot more detail in it. If you have the PDF and the XML skills, you are able to replace what has been removed. That will be for your own personal use, and not to be shared with anyone.
Put the TOR-Player.mod file into the modules folder. Open from the book icon in the top right, dragging the book open.You will then see this appear in the Library.

Valarian
October 3rd, 2014, 14:55
Another update to the Foundation Core extension for The One Ring, thanks to Seosaidh. This update adds the dice icons for the feat and success dice in the game. In the Google Drive folder linked above.

Blue Haven
March 15th, 2015, 21:24
Thank you so much for this one :)
Do you plan on making some visual improvements? or you no longer will update the ruleset/ext...?
One question what's the db.xml in the resources file?? its some kind of update or other thing?
Big Hugs

Valarian
March 15th, 2015, 21:51
sample characters, iirc
improvements are likely to be functional rather than visual. I'm no artist

Valarian
March 16th, 2015, 13:57
The resources zip file contains:
- a stance sheet (for combat) by voidstate on the C7 forums
- portraits of the stock pre-generated characters
- db.xml file containing the stock pre-generated characters

The portraits are copyright of Cubicle 7 and credit goes to (probably) Jon Hodgson.
Hopefully, the 64x64 portraits I've provided fit under the realms of fair-use or sample.

The pre-generated character sheets are available from Cubicle 7's downloads page
https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/the-one-ring-downloads/

Blue Haven
March 17th, 2015, 21:32
sample characters, iirc
improvements are likely to be functional rather than visual. I'm no artist

Ok friend i was just asking... :)
Thanks

Alvi_Leiz
April 7th, 2015, 13:52
The resources zip file contains:
- a stance sheet (for combat) by voidstate on the C7 forums
- portraits of the stock pre-generated characters
- db.xml file containing the stock pre-generated characters

The portraits are copyright of Cubicle 7 and credit goes to (probably) Jon Hodgson.
Hopefully, the 64x64 portraits I've provided fit under the realms of fair-use or sample.

The pre-generated character sheets are available from Cubicle 7's downloads page
https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/the-one-ring-downloads/

Thank you Valarian! and congrats for your amazing work!

Im using your TOR ruleset. I did three adventures with it and now we are doing the fourth adventure!

Valarian
May 5th, 2015, 11:08
I've updated the extension (version 5) for The One Ring to include a tab on the NPC sheet for light-side NPCs. This has the stat blocks found in The Heart of the Wild and Rivendell. Up to 6 relevant skills and 6 Specialities / Distinctive Features catered for. Die rolls from the tab roll the character dice rather than the adversary dice. Good for people like Amfossa, etc.

There's also an update to the TOR-Resources zip file. It's now basically a sample campaign file, drop the contents in to a newly created TOR campaign to get the sample characters. One thing of note, there's a Eye of Mordor tracker and an Eye token to use with it.

Folder Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3RTRremljMXo3N1E&authuser=0

Blue Haven
May 5th, 2015, 19:01
To the friend that sent me a message...sorry for the delay...did you update the files you sent me with this one...?
To Valarian many thanks for you work my friend :)
Big Hugs to both :)

TheNecromancerofMirkwood
May 19th, 2015, 02:46
Awesome! I only recently got into The One Ring RPG (having been pretty invested in the CODA Lord of the Rings RPG by Decipher) and was hoping someone out there in the interwebz had done the rules for Fantasy Grounds.

Eberronknight
June 5th, 2015, 16:26
Hi I'm very new to FG and trying to see if I can get TOR to be my first FG game. I downloaded all of files in the Google Drive that were created for TOR.
I have a Mac Pro and purchased FG through Steam.

I want to replace what has been removed, as I own all the TOR books and PDFS. I am able to open the library and see the Adventurer mod with Parts 1-4. I can add verbiage to the Callings, so I thought I could update the other sections. It won't let me.

I've been checking out videos and links to tutorials, indicating I can open a .mod file (change .mod to .zip) and successfully did so. I found the common.xml where I added the verbiage I wanted. I saved it and re-compressed the TOR-Player folder. I then changed the.zip to .mod and then placed it back into the Modules folder in FG.

I can't get it to appear in the library. Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong? I just want to add more verbiage to the Adventurer data mod.

Thanks.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 16:29
When you re-zipped the module did you do so from within the directory where all the data was - i.e. select all the files and ZIP from there? Don't ZIP from outside the directory - i.e. don't just select the directory name and ZIP that. If you open the resulting ZIP file you should see all of the module XML immediately, not a top level directory.

Also, use standard ZIP compression - don't use RAR, 7z, etc..

Eberronknight
June 5th, 2015, 16:44
Thank you Trenloe! That was the issue, it works now!

Any reason why I could update verbiage to the Callings section and not the other sections? Just curious as that seemed easier to do in FG versus unzipping and updating the XML and then re-zipping again.

Valarian
June 5th, 2015, 16:58
You should be able to add flavour text back in. A lot of that would be in the reference section at the bottom of the file.

Eberronknight
June 5th, 2015, 17:23
You should be able to add flavour text back in. A lot of that would be in the reference section at the bottom of the file.

Hi Valarian! Before posting to the forum, I was able to add flavor text back in but only for the Callings section while FG was running. I didn't have to open the Players.mod and unzip and edit the XML. Here is a screenshot example where with the Scholar, I added flavor... I just could just click my mouse in this section and type info in. I could do the same for Slayer, Treasure Hunter, Wanderer and Warden. When I go to the other sections, I can not just click and edit.

I was thinking maybe it was a Mac issue as I read some threads where Mac doesn't play nice with some editing.

Valarian
June 5th, 2015, 17:39
You shouldn't be able to edit directly in to the library entries at all. Very strange. Does it save the changes to the module? Are they still there if you create a new campaign and open the library? It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries. Basically, you have to unzip the module, edit the data file and then re-zip (from within the directory as Trenloe notes above).

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 17:53
It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries.
These changes/additions will only be available within the campaign where the edits were made. All modules are read-only in terms of the base module data not be able to be changed through the FG interface - unless you write an extension to specifically update module data, there is only one such extension that I know of and this is specific to the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Eberronknight
June 5th, 2015, 18:49
You shouldn't be able to edit directly in to the library entries at all. Very strange. Does it save the changes to the module? Are they still there if you create a new campaign and open the library? It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries. Basically, you have to unzip the module, edit the data file and then re-zip (from within the directory as Trenloe notes above).

It does save the changes to the module. At first I thought it wouldn't, I would close everything down and go back in and my flavor was still there.
If I create a new campaign and open the library, the flavor is gone.

Must be some weird glitch, I thought that would be way too easy. I am brand new to FG so I did not write any extensions of my own, I just placed the files in the folders and went into the FG interface. I figured maybe there was a way to make modules read/edit somehow as I was able to do so with the Callings section.

No worries, I'm doing it as you guys are instructing. I've got a lot to add but I so appreciate you guys giving us TOR fans something to work with!

Thanks to both of you, I was just trying to understand how to add and edit and don't mind going through the normal editing of the data file. :)

Valarian
June 5th, 2015, 18:55
Unfortunately each person has to do their own file. The template gives you the skill names, stats, etc. But none of the flavour or description. An official module would be nice but, from conversations with C7, I don't think their license extends to be able to do that.

Eberronknight
June 5th, 2015, 18:57
I totally get it. :)

Thanks again!

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 19:06
It does save the changes to the module. At first I thought it wouldn't, I would close everything down and go back in and my flavor was still there.
If I create a new campaign and open the library, the flavor is gone.
The flavor missing in the new campaign proves that the data is *not* getting saved to the base module.

For some fields in a module, FG gives the appearance that you've edited the module but you haven't edited the base module - the changes are stored in the campaign and "merged" with the module data just for that campaign. The changes aren't applied to the base module.

Eberronknight
June 15th, 2015, 01:32
Hey guys, so I've been working the last week with adding data to the library from my TOR pdf. I just got to Part 3: Fundamentals and noticed 08. Treasure isn't displaying. So looking at the .mod, I noticed you had the ID for "09. Standing" as ID00008, which I assumed it overwrote "08. Treasure" as it was using the same ID.

I just edited the "09. Standing" to ID00009 and now 08. Treasure is showing. Just a FYI.

Valarian
June 15th, 2015, 08:31
Thanks. I'll have to have a look in my own version, and fix the template version.

Eberronknight
June 16th, 2015, 03:34
Hey Valarian, found something else. Should I continue to post to this thread or send you a PM? Not sure what the proper protocol is for the FG boards.

Part 4: Development
03. Virtues
Cultural Virtues- Beornings
Great Strength

When I click on Great Strength is goes to "Giant Strength". I just renamed the string to Great Strength and appears fine now.

EK

Valarian
June 16th, 2015, 08:24
Don't mind errata being in the thread. This is probably the first time a second pair of eyes has gone through all of this stuff :)

Eberronknight
June 17th, 2015, 00:09
Don't mind errata being in the thread. This is probably the first time a second pair of eyes has gone through all of this stuff :)

Glad I could help, it's the little I could do since you guys create stuff! So thrilled a One Ring mod was available for FG! :)

Eberronknight
June 18th, 2015, 22:35
Ok the rest of the TOR- Player mod looks good, went through everything in that file. :)

So I began making a character.

*update* I had an issue with getting the portrait/token to show up on the character but figured it out for the Campaign but I still can't get it to work for Manage Character. See attached photo, I can click on Portraits and they display photos I want but I can't click/drag them to the gold ring on the character sheet. Is this not possible?

Also, how do I get the Dice to show the Eye of Sauron or Gandalf's Rune? I saw the graphic images in the core-TOR.ext when I opened it up. Sorry, again just learning everything with FG, it's just been a few weeks into this. :)

Casamordius
June 21st, 2015, 19:32
Thanks for this great Ruleset!
We tried it last week and it worked really well.
Just two issues..

1) If we roll the normal dice (means not the success dice from the character sheet, which work well) the result dices are not showing their numbers in the chat. they are just plain dark gray. does anyone else have this problem?

2) All my players say that they cannot see any tab labels in the character sheet, means the tab title "Main", "Combat" etc. is empty instead. I do not have this problem myself, even if I connect to myself localy, but each of my remote players. anyone else experiences this problem?

Thank you!

Casamordius
June 21st, 2015, 19:38
- portraits: only the player can do this himself if he connects and selects his character. You can do this yourself, if you start fantasygrounds a second time and connect to yourself with a local IP (no need for a license in local connect)

- Gandalf/Sauron shows up if you roll the skill by double-clicking inside teh character sheet

Eberronknight
June 22nd, 2015, 02:17
1) If we roll the normal dice (means not the success dice from the character sheet, which work well) the result dices are not showing their numbers in the chat. they are just plain dark gray. does anyone else have this problem?

I just noticed the same, the dice are not showing their numbers in chat, just as the photo you attached.

- portraits: only the player can do this himself if he connects and selects his character. You can do this yourself, if you start fantasygrounds a second time and connect to yourself with a local IP (no need for a license in local connect)

- Gandalf/Sauron shows up if you roll the skill by double-clicking inside teh character sheet

Thanks! I didn't get that far to try it out with the skill rolling. Cool! I was figuring about the player adding his own photo, I will try connecting with a local IP to add the photo.

Valarian
June 22nd, 2015, 06:32
The dice rolls work off the skills, either by drag and drop to the chat windows or double-clicking the skill rating. Weary state reduction of the rolls is automatically recognised when the weary state is ticked.

The normal die rolls showing a blank die is connected to the graphics override to show the custom dice faces.

Valarian
June 22nd, 2015, 06:35
The tab problem could be a corrupt player file. They could remove the downloaded file in their cache folder and the reconnect. It may also be an old version of the Foundation Core ruleset in their local ruleset folder. They should check and download from the folder below or from the link in the wiki.

Casamordius
June 28th, 2015, 18:33
The dice rolls work off the skills, either by drag and drop to the chat windows or double-clicking the skill rating. Weary state reduction of the rolls is automatically recognised when the weary state is ticked.

The normal die rolls showing a blank die is connected to the graphics override to show the custom dice faces.

Then there seems to be something wrong..if I roll teh normal dice they show just blanks... this makes rolling dice other than skills nearly impossible :-(

Mantra
July 7th, 2015, 15:04
Yes, this is happening to me as well. Nevertheless, thanks for all the work put in for it.

caleb cod
August 18th, 2015, 20:39
Hello. Sorry for the newb question but I have been really struggling to get the combat tracker to work. I can get it to work if I use the DnD modules so it is something specific to One Ring. I get targeting to work but then One Ring module does not recognise the targeting and the die rolls though they look perfect are not applied to the target. Also when I type /export the export window does not have the export button at the bottom. This works fine for me with the DnD modules. So where am I going wrong?

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 20:45
I get targeting to work but then One Ring module does not recognise the targeting and the die rolls though they look perfect are not applied to the target.
I don't think targeting has been implemented in this ruleset. Targeting is always one of the most difficult pieces of functionality to develop correctly, so it is very often left until a later release or left upto the GM and players to do manually. The framework is there for you to play The One Ring, there are just some game mechanics you'll need to do manually.

Also when I type /export the export window does not have the export button at the bottom. This works fine for me with the DnD modules. So where am I going wrong?
Right-click and select "Export". If in doubt always right-click to get a context sensitive menu.

caleb cod
August 18th, 2015, 22:01
Thank you. Saves me a lot of fruitless effort knowing that.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2015, 15:31
Sorry to hijack your thread Valarian, but The One Ring PDFs can be found for, currently, a quarter of the RRP on the current Bundle of Holding: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TheOneRing 13 days to go!

Valarian
October 7th, 2015, 15:45
Highly recommended for any that haven't already got these. It's almost the entire line so far.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2015, 15:49
And Valarian's extension is the perfect way to play The One Ring on Fantasy Grounds. I experienced this first hand two (or was it three?) FG Cons ago, great game...

krb243
October 9th, 2015, 00:55
thanks for the heads-up on the bundle trenloe, just scored the whole set :D

ianmward
October 19th, 2015, 08:54
Coming into the last day of the Bundle of Holding... Grab it while you can!

Gazery
April 3rd, 2016, 15:33
Hi, I have the Extension for The One Ring by Valarian (if I remember correctly) and it is great.

I have been preparing the maps and adversaries to play The Theft of The Moon (a great fan based intro scenario by Zed) and everything seems fine.

I then started to add generic adversaries from the books: orcs, spiders etc. This again is fine, apart from that when I come to select them I have a big long list of adversaries to scroll though to find the ones I want, and I have only added a fraction of the adversaries available.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to create folders in the adversaries tab so that I can put all orcs in one, all spiders in another etc?

2. Is it possible to resize the windows that the maps and items appear in? I play as a player in a WFRP 3e game and an arrow icon appears if you mouse over the edges of maps, but this isn't seeming to happen in this.

3. How do you add player characters to the combat tracker? I can add adversaries fine and they appear with their stats, but I can't seem to add the player characters.

4. Is it possible to add magic items? If so how?

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help me.

Loving this game and can't wait to finally play over Fantasy Grounds, as I live in an area where there are no groups that I am aware of. And I have little time to join a group. Stupid work!

Gazery

Valarian
April 3rd, 2016, 18:25
1. Right-click and add categories to the NPC area. Name them by writing in the chat area and dragging to the category icon.
2. Press CTRL and drag the edges of the windows.
3. Drag from the portrait of the character in the top left to the combat tracker.
4. Magic items are just items. Add description. Or create a note and add it to the notes area.

Gazery
April 3rd, 2016, 23:19
Thank you so much, I was hoping I was being stupid. That makes my life a bit easier. Now just need to finish inputting everything in.

Gazery

Nylanfs
April 4th, 2016, 15:24
Also, Welcome to FG and the community!

Durak
May 6th, 2016, 16:59
I have a question about the character sheet. On the GM client its showing the names of the tabs. But when the player looks at the player sheet the only tab they can read is the Main tab, all the other tabs are unnamed. How would I fix this?

Okay i worked it out. I copied the files below from the fcore-TOR.ext to the foundations_core.pak

charsheet.xml
charsheet_combat.xml
charsheet_fellowship.xml
charsheet_gear.xml
charsheet_listitems.xml
charsheet_main.xml
charsheet_notes.xml
charsheet_rewards.xml
charsheet_years.xml

Seems to work out okay. But I didn't extensively test it.

Also how does a client zoom into a image, it seems to just move the player tokens. How do you resize the image on both gm and player client? I cannot make it a rectangle.

Valarian
May 6th, 2016, 20:00
You don't need to copy the files. Put the foundation_core.pak file in rulesets and the .ext file in extensions. You select the extension when starting a campaign and this puts the files over the base. You'll be missing all the NPC and combat tracker functionality.

Resizing the image, you press CTRL and drag the edge of the image.
Zoom in - press CTRL, go to the + icon in the bottom right of the image, move mouse up / down.

Durak
May 11th, 2016, 19:14
I did what you said. I did turn on the Extension when creating the campaign. I put the files in the correct folders. But the player client does not see the tab names in his client. The GM sees everything the way you said.

I show you what i mean.
Player View

(removed pic)

GM View

(removed pic)

You can see on the player view there are no names on the other tabs. Also you can see the icon for moving the view in the GM screen is not on the image for player view. So they don't have the ability to move the view around. But CTRL does resize the window.

Valarian
May 11th, 2016, 19:24
This will be down to not having images in the foundations folder that were in the extension. You need to utilise the extension.

Valarian
May 12th, 2016, 09:31
I've added a PAK file version of the ruleset, seeing as Foundation Core has been replaced by the CoreRPG ruleset and until I have the time to move The One Ring to that base. I'll update the relevant wiki entries when I get a moment to do that.

Ruleset Link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3a0ZnOTZPUjdHcDQ)
Direct Download (https://docs.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3a0ZnOTZPUjdHcDQ&export=download)

The One Ring resources
Player Module (https://docs.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3YjVEay1yTmk5S00&export=download) (intentionally kept to less than the character builder linked on Cubicle 7's forums)
Starter Resources (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3LW9MV2oydEhwYXM)(sample characters, stance sheet - drop the contents in to a new campaign folder)
Ruleset Guide (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kiF75vvkNMAAYECGOsF1MPMrX7HszU5bV4UbWhNbq vo)

Valarian
May 18th, 2016, 18:06
Updated the template Player Module (https://docs.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3YjVEay1yTmk5S00&export=download) for Rivendell and Horse-lords.

Valarian
May 27th, 2016, 12:56
Wiki updated

inawkwardscience
June 22nd, 2016, 00:52
Thanks for all the work, Valarian!

I hope to play TOR as my next campaign. With that, I'm starting to look into adding my own library from the TOR PDFs. Any tips/guides that you might suggest that will help?

damned
November 11th, 2016, 02:37
The One Ring is on sale at Bundle of Holding.
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OneRing2016

Morik
December 4th, 2016, 06:28
Is there a place to put Called Shot effects for NPCs?

I'm putting them in 'Notes' currently. I put background info and descriptions in 'Notes' too though. It's getting pretty full.

Blue Haven
November 10th, 2017, 21:38
Any Updates on this one?
Thanks

Eberronknight
November 29th, 2017, 17:51
Any Updates on this one?
Thanks

I too am curious on this.

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2017, 06:43
I'm keen to get involved in this as I love the One Ring system and play it on the physical Tabletop.

Hector Trelane
December 11th, 2017, 20:50
The One Ring is on sale at Bundle of Holding.
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OneRing2016

Tempting tempting. Looks to be a beautiful game.

MadBeardMan
December 11th, 2017, 22:12
Tempting tempting. Looks to be a beautiful game.

It is, it's my favourite game of the moment, maybe tied with 'Shadows of Esteren'

Hector Trelane
December 13th, 2017, 17:30
It is, it's my favourite game of the moment, maybe tied with 'Shadows of Esteren'

That also looks cool. Would be fun to play the demo adventure.

MadBeardMan
December 28th, 2017, 15:43
That also looks cool. Would be fun to play the demo adventure.

I'm going to speak to them (well Nel) when I help them out at UK Games Expo, hopefully I'll have completed my list of FG stuff by then and can bring SoE over to FG. It's amazing.

Hector Trelane
January 27th, 2018, 11:23
I'm going to speak to them (well Nel) when I help them out at UK Games Expo, hopefully I'll have completed my list of FG stuff by then and can bring SoE over to FG. It's amazing.

Have you seen this? Syrinscape has an Esteren Dearg soundset under development. Subscribers can see and play it, not sure it's in general release yet. (I agree with the poster that the music is a cut above most Syrinscape content, which ranges from good to quite good already.) https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/esteren-dearg-is-epic/3025

There are just too many cool RPGs coming out these days to GM them all... do hope to have the chance to play though.

Hector Trelane
September 2nd, 2018, 18:29
The One Ring RPG is available here on Humble Bundle for the next three days : https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord-of-the-rings-rpg-books

Bidmaron
September 2nd, 2018, 18:57
I picked it up. Great stuff for any LOTR fan, regardless of whether you use their rules.

Hector Trelane
September 2nd, 2018, 20:40
I picked it up. Great stuff for any LOTR fan, regardless of whether you use their rules.

Indeed! I picked it up too.

Would be great to play in an intro adventure if someone on this thread cares to run it [hint hint]

The design seems to do a good job of emulating Tolkien fiction, which would be great to experience.

Raz_Kabooz
September 2nd, 2018, 20:54
Would be great to play in an intro adventure if someone on this thread cares to run it [hint hint]
Indeed! So when are you hosting Hector? :rolleyes:

madman
September 2nd, 2018, 22:07
ill read it if someone is going to run it!

Madman..

Hector Trelane
September 2nd, 2018, 23:31
ill read it if someone is going to run it!

Madman..

Looks like we are mustering a Fellowship! Not realistic for me to run it right now but the rules (and art) are worth reading in themselves.

Any Loremaster (GM) looking for a group might find one here!

Valarian
September 3rd, 2018, 07:03
It's not really realistic for me to run a full campaign at the moment either, but I could possibly run an adventure or two. It would have to be a UK friendly time, so for US players to join we're probably looking at a weekend evening.

Raz_Kabooz
September 3rd, 2018, 14:49
Hector previously asked for a link to the Men of the West (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItHdUEqlpfvDlcCeyZwH6w/about?disable_polymer=1) YouTube channel. Awesome videos and commentary concerning Middle-Earth.

Thorin's Company After The Hobbit- Epilogues (https://youtu.be/5pjBofJglX4)
5pjBofJglX4

Hector Trelane
September 4th, 2018, 14:33
It's not really realistic for me to run a full campaign at the moment either, but I could possibly run an adventure or two. It would have to be a UK friendly time, so for US players to join we're probably looking at a weekend evening.

I'm interested, but couldn't do it until later in the year when my work schedule settles down. (But others, charge ahead!)

Glad that you've made yet another ruleset for yet another interesting game! Thanks, Valarian.

TheNecromancerofMirkwood
September 5th, 2018, 05:45
I must be doing something wrong because I downloaded the fcore-TOR.pak and cannot get the character sheet to work beyond opening...

Valarian
September 5th, 2018, 07:08
I must be doing something wrong because I downloaded the fcore-TOR.pak and cannot get the character sheet to work beyond opening...
How do you mean? There's not a lot to the character sheet beyond standard Fantasy Grounds form filling, just the double-click or drag-and-drop on skill and other number fields to roll the dice. Have you opened a campaign, or using the character sheet in Manage Characters?

TheNecromancerofMirkwood
September 10th, 2018, 13:52
:hangs head in shame:

Heh, I managed to figure it out. N/M. :o

Valarian
September 10th, 2018, 16:22
No need for shame. Glad you managed to sort out the problem.

webfourmi
September 11th, 2018, 21:15
thanks for your ruleset .

Hector Trelane
September 12th, 2018, 00:38
Welcome to the forums, webfourmi and TheNecromancerofMirkwood!

webfourmi
September 13th, 2018, 10:03
I have a problem with the ruleset.
There is nothing in the "library" , the window is empty.
So I can't see any module or choice what I want in the right panel of FG.
What did I do wrong?

Valarian
September 13th, 2018, 10:40
For copyright reasons, the library module provided is a bare bones template only. Have you downloaded the template .mod file and placed it in the modules folder?

The modules menu is an older version. There's a book icon is the top right of the navigation bar, rather than a link in the library itself. To activate the module, double-click or left drag the book icon against the Adventurer module. The module should then appear in the library.

After that, it's a case of unzipping the .mod file and editing the common.xml inside. A lot of cut & pasting later, rezip the unzipped folder, from inside the folder making sure that the definition.xml and common.xml files are in the top folder of the zip file. Then rename to .mod and put back into the modules folder.

webfourmi
September 13th, 2018, 15:33
Thank you. I don't realize there is an icon library at the top.

Nashan
September 16th, 2018, 21:49
Thanks for the amazing job, I'm really looking forward to run a One Ring game using your set :)

thorstenhauke
October 16th, 2018, 09:37
@Valarian: Thank you for sharing this ruleset. I wrote you a PM; please have a look at it. :-)

Elfazar
October 19th, 2018, 00:50
Hello. I am not sure how to use all of these files. I have donloaded the rfcore-tor.pak, the tor-player.mod and the tor resources. I am unsure where to put everything though

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2018, 03:10
Try this wiki link that talks about where to install each file.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview

.pak = Ruleset
.mod = Module
.ext = Extension

The easiest way to find your FG data folder is to click the folder button on the upper right of the FG Launch screen.

Regards,
JPG

Hector Trelane
November 8th, 2018, 17:14
I'm interested, but couldn't do it until later in the year when my work schedule settles down. (But others, charge ahead!)

Glad that you've made yet another ruleset for yet another interesting game! Thanks, Valarian.

Okay Valarian, if this offer still stands, how about looking at the schedule now? (I am getting back into circulation now that real life is settling down...)

NotRussellCrowe
November 8th, 2018, 17:20
Okay Valarian, if this offer still stands, how about looking at the schedule now? (I am getting back into circulation now that real life is settling down...)

And my axe!

Valarian
November 8th, 2018, 21:57
Still not sure that I'm up to a full campaign, but an intro to the ruleset and a couple of adventures should be okay. I'll see what I can do with timings. How would Sunday afternoon UK time suit? Around 2pm to 6pm ish (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20181111T14&p1=3592&ah=3).

NotRussellCrowe
November 8th, 2018, 22:24
Still not sure that I'm up to a full campaign, but an intro to the ruleset and a couple of adventures should be okay. I'll see what I can do with timings. How would Sunday afternoon UK time suit? Around 2pm to 6pm ish (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20181111T14&p1=3592&ah=3).

Alas I am out of town (assuming I was even invited seeing as how I invited myself ;)).

Valarian
November 8th, 2018, 22:27
Would the time slot work in general, just not this week?

NotRussellCrowe
November 8th, 2018, 22:36
Would the time slot work in general, just not this week?

Yes, the time slot is good for me (8am CST) usually, just have a few non-gaming commitments this month unfortunately.

Though I think Hector may be available for this weekend so if you can get a group together please do so and don't wait for me.

Happy gaming!

Valarian
November 9th, 2018, 19:37
I've set up a calendar entry starting the 18th Nov. I'll add a link for voice to the GM announcements once I have something set up.
Calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3256

Trenloe
November 9th, 2018, 19:40
I'd be very interested (I loved a FGCon game you ran a few years ago). But, after having Sundays free for ages, I'm now busy Octboer 18th and 25th. But then free again after that. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when you play and if there's a chance for me to join (depending on space and your permission of course!)

Hector Trelane
November 10th, 2018, 21:13
The time slot is good depending on the weekend. I could do Nov 18 but Nov 25 is a family holiday. (I can also log in Nov 11 in this time slot.)

Would you want us to make up characters beforehand?

Valarian
November 11th, 2018, 08:48
The time slot is good depending on the weekend. I could do Nov 18 but Nov 25 is a family holiday. (I can also log in Nov 11 in this time slot.)
I can't do tonight. We can skip the 25th if the majority can't make it.

Would you want us to make up characters beforehand?
Ideally, unless you need help creating the character. Azrapse's character builder, linked in the useful links GM announcement is pretty good at guiding you through the process. I'll start with going through the character sheet in the ruleset, where the information goes and how it works.

Hector Trelane
November 11th, 2018, 19:42
I can't do tonight. We can skip the 25th if the majority can't make it.

Ideally, unless you need help creating the character. Azrapse's character builder, linked in the useful links GM announcement is pretty good at guiding you through the process. I'll start with going through the character sheet in the ruleset, where the information goes and how it works.

Just found that character creator. Pretty slick. Here’s the link for easy reference: https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html

I assume you want us to stick with the starting cultures? I’ll make a Woodman of Wilderland, a wanderer who can heal and make campsites on the trail as hospitable as home.

Update: Done! I've used this nifty tool and it eases the character creation process. Next up: find a portrait and choose a name. I'll poke around for collections of Tolkein-styled character portraits... referrals welcome.

FYI-- needs a name but I successfully used this tool. I've got this saved as code so can edit (I think) as needed. I've only skimmed the character creation rules so can't claim to understand the mechanics (but I'll read them more closely in the coming days). This is a character chose for roleplay and inspired by the feeling of vast wilderness and journeying that The One Ring evokes.

Concept: Wanders the lands near and under the eaves of Mirkwood. Makes a hospitable home in the wild for travel companions he befriends, with food, song, healing, and wayfinding.

Couldn't find portrait treasury but here's a couple that will do:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25278
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25279

Here are stats:

Name: [Not yet named.]

Culture: Woodman of Wilderland Standard of Living: Frugal
Cultural blessing: Woodcrafty
Calling: Wanderer Shadow weakness: Wandering-madness
Specialities: Fishing, Herb-lore, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Cunning, Patient
Body: 3 Heart: 5 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 6 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills- Awe: 0 Inspire: 1 Persuade: 1
Athletics: 2 Travel: 1 Stealth: 2
Awareness: 2 Insight: 1 Search: 1
Explore: 3 Healing: 3 Hunting: 2
Song: 2 Courtesy: 1 Riddle: 1
Craft: 1 Battle: 1 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills- Long-hafted axe: 2 Spear: 1 Dagger: 1 Bow: 1 -Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Herbal Remedies
-Gear- Long-hafted axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
Spear damage: 5 edge: 9 injury: 14 enc: 2
Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1

Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 6 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 6
Hope: 15 Starting Hope: 15 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 0 Headgear: 0
Parry: 6 Shield: 0
Damage: 0 Ranged: 0
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1
Experience: 0 Missing:uitotal: 0
Fellowship: 0 Advancement: 0 Treasure: 0 Standing: 0 Courage: 0

Hector Trelane
November 18th, 2018, 17:37
Screen shot of initial session!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25330

Raz_Kabooz
November 30th, 2018, 00:07
Some screen shots of session two! The game session captured Middle-earth brilliantly.

Valarian, thank you again for hosting!

https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/Rumnaheim/Session%202-1_zps0aly7qjb.png

https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/Rumnaheim/Session%202-2_zpsypsglrhm.png

Talen
November 30th, 2018, 03:13
That is a beautiful looking game.

Hector Trelane
February 3rd, 2019, 20:07
Valarian, a module design question for this rule set: I've exported a module (campaign images that I'd like to keep organized by keeping it separate from other content) and and can see it and open it in the module window, but once it's opened, it doesn't appear in the library or elsewhere. Can you help--is there a trick with listing categories or something to make it compatible so the base ruleset can "see" it?

ianmward
February 3rd, 2019, 21:36
Hi Hector,

I am sure you have, but... did you look to see if there was a new category in the normal images window (not in the library)? That’s where they should appear, I think.

Hector Trelane
February 3rd, 2019, 22:03
Hi Hector,

I am sure you have, but... did you look to see if there was a new category in the normal images window (not in the library)? That’s where they should appear, I think.

Your question prompted me to work out part of the solution, thanks:

I hadn't been using the index option, highlighted in yellow. When I did so and re-exported, the module appeared properly in the Library window;
...but I'm having no luck getting it to appear as a category tab in the Images window (see blue highlighting). I did create one when I exported the module (named "Marsh")
Perhaps it's a quirk of this version of CoreRPG? See build version circled in green.

Thanks!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26208

ianmward
February 3rd, 2019, 22:14
I don’t think it uses CoreRPG, it uses foundations core, which is different.

Looks like the images have appeared, though, so that is something.

If you don’t find another way, you could always edit the module and add the category...

Hector Trelane
February 4th, 2019, 00:05
I don’t think it uses CoreRPG, it uses foundations core, which is different.

Looks like the images have appeared, though, so that is something.

If you don’t find another way, you could always edit the module and add the category...

Good point. I've given it a shot, added "Marsh" in both of the following code excerpts (where there had previously been no value), but so far this hasn't added a new category tab to the Images window:

definition.xml :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.3" release="1">
<name>TOR FoMarsh Campaign Elements</name>
<category>Marsh</category>
<author>Hector Trelane</author>
<ruleset>fcore-TOR</ruleset>
</root>

First part of db.xml :

<image>
<category name="Marsh" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00001>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>Portrait--Beldan.jpg</bitmap>
</image>
<name type="string">Portrait--Beldan</name>
<toggle_mapinfo type="number">0</toggle_mapinfo>
<toolbars type="number">0</toolbars>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>

Hector Trelane
March 30th, 2019, 17:10
For anyone wanting to play a game with these rules and ruleset, there’s an opportunity here in the one-shot I’m hosting for FG-Con 14!:

https://www.fg-con.com/events/the-one-ring-a-final-pilgimage-home/

Hector Trelane
October 16th, 2019, 03:54
For anyone wanting to play a game with these rules and ruleset, there’s an opportunity here in the one-shot I’m hosting for FG-Con 14!:

https://www.fg-con.com/events/the-one-ring-a-final-pilgimage-home/

This same scenario is on again for FG-Con 15! Sign up here if you want to give these rules or this ruleset a try--or come back to it after a long hiatus. NB that 2e TOR is coming out soon, so it's a good time to get back into the TOR swing of things!

https://www.fg-con.com/events/the-one-ring-a-final-pilgrimage-home/

Valarian
October 16th, 2019, 15:31
I'm slowly updating the ruleset to CoreRPG in preparation for 2nd edition. The character sheet is in. Now need to do the NPC sheet and combat tracker.

Hector Trelane
October 16th, 2019, 16:24
I'm slowly updating the ruleset to CoreRPG in preparation for 2nd edition. The character sheet is in. Now need to do the NPC sheet and combat tracker.

Now that's fantastic news! Btw my complements on how well the NPC sheets work in this ruleset--a thing of beauty. Same goes for how well you've integrated all the mechanics on the PC sheet.

Ithildin of the West
March 31st, 2020, 00:19
Hi all, and a big thanks to Valarian for the work on this!

I'm new to FG, but having searched FAQs and threads here am not seeing how to get a Character from the Character Manager into my (test) TOR Campaign.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, Fantasy Grounds II (updated) and using Valarian's latest (fcore-TOR.pak)

I can manually create a Character:

When I load my TOR campaign I dont see an option to import Character:

Thanks for any help, I'm really looking forward to using this! :)

Ithildin of the West
March 31st, 2020, 01:16
Responding to NotRussellCrowe at The One Ring/AiMW RPG Discord:

Thanks for the help; I'm using Classic (the Desktop icon is Fantasy Grounds II and the exe is 'Fantasy Grounds.exe').

When I right click on the Character window I do get the option to 'Create Item', and when I click that a new Character is added to the list (unnamed, no stats, not owned by any player).

Here is a pic of the chat windwo when I first load in, to help determine if I'm using an older version.

Cheers!

Hector Trelane
March 31st, 2020, 01:21
Welcome to the forums SOS John.

To add characters you have to directly edit the db.xml file. Create a character first with a name you can find, then search for it once you have the db file open so you know which section it belongs to. Copy/paste exactly from old to new.

OR use the updated version of this ruleset.

NotRussellCrowe
March 31st, 2020, 01:32
Yes, you're using the older version of the ruleset. My recommendation would be download and use the newer version based on CoreRPG. You can find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51510-The-One-Ring-Core-RPG-Conversion&highlight=the+one+ring

It's by Valarian so you know it's good!

Ithildin of the West
March 31st, 2020, 02:26
And this is solved...I'm sure I'll kock into other issues, but very glad for the help on this one NotRussellCrowe

Edit: Thanks for the warm welcome, and the quick responses gents/gals; I hope I can return the favour sometime.

NotRussellCrowe
March 31st, 2020, 02:30
Happy to help out.

Happy gaming!

Valarian
March 31st, 2020, 05:23
Hi all, and a big thanks to Valarian for the work on this!

I'm new to FG, but having searched FAQs and threads here am not seeing how to get a Character from the Character Manager into my (test) TOR Campaign.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, Fantasy Grounds II (updated) and using Valarian's latest (fcore-TOR.pak)

I can manually create a Character:

When I load my TOR campaign I dont see an option to import Character:

Thanks for any help, I'm really looking forward to using this! :)

The Foundation Core base doesn't have this option. There's an updated version of the ruleset using the CoreRPG base.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51510-The-One-Ring-Core-RPG-Conversion

Joining the campaign as a player, on a localhost connection, you should see a "local" version of the character. Selecting that would bring the character into the campaign as a "server" character. You can then clear the owner for it to be selected by another player.

Ithildin of the West
April 1st, 2020, 21:20
Hi again, hoping this is an appropriate place to post a general FG:TOR question.

Now that I'm up and running with Valarian's ruleset for TOR I'd like to add Enemies and Characters (NPC and PC) to my campaign. I can now manually add a PC pr NPC but I wonder if theres an XML exporter or (in an ideal world) files that already exist for Enemies?

Even a link to point me at the tool you use would be fantastic. Thanks again!

Hector Trelane
April 1st, 2020, 22:59
SOS John, you should really use the other ruleset on this thread and post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51510-The-One-Ring-Core-RPG-Conversion

Why? Because the types of functionality you're looking for are far more likely to be supported in the CoreRPG version on that thread.

That said, I don't think there's an import function. The Savage Worlds ruleset has such a tool, and I'll bet someone some take-out lunch that the same has been created for D&D, but each import tool will be a custom job that maps blocks of text to the relevant fields.

For TOR there's the additional challenge of copyright problems: it's not officially supported and even the publishers may not own rights to share their IP in electronic form.

Ithildin of the West
April 2nd, 2020, 00:24
Thanks Hector, I'll ask the question there, following from your answer (thanks!).