PDA

View Full Version : Questions on character powers and other effekts in 5E

Galdrin
July 26th, 2014, 10:26
I've started creating the premade characters from the Starter box and bumped into a few problems that I hope I could get some help with here. This is not parsing type of problems as I've choosen to try and copy the characters manually.

First out is the Fighter and it's abillities

1. Fighting style (Defense). This ads +1 AC to the character and the question is if I should just add it to the AC on the character sheet or if it's better to create a Effect with something like "AC:+1; Defence"?
2. Second Wind: I just don't understand how to create that Power, I can add the Power and the Heal:Self part but it Always ends up healing 0, wher do i put in 1d10+lvl?
3. Disadvantage checks. Because of the armor the Fighter should have a disadvantage to DEX whenever the armor is worn so I thought I'd set this up as an effect. While DISCHK: works fine for all disadvantage checks I just can't get DISCHK:DEX to work. Anyone else that has this working?

Any hints?

Edit: Found out how to do the second wind :)

El Condoro
July 26th, 2014, 11:10
Don't know if they're the 'correct' way but this is how I do it.

1. Click the magnifying glass next to AC and set it up with the +1 there.
2. Add the feature by going into the Actions tab, edit mode, blue star. Once the Second Wind (Group: Class feature) is there, right click, Add Action from the radial, Add Heal. 1d10 + (click the options until Lvl appears.
3. Not sure how to set up as effect. Click the "Dis" button on left of screen before rolling when throwing. Actually, the disadvantage is only for Dexterity checks. The disadvantage mentioned for throwing the javelin on the character sheet is only for throwing it at extreme range (30-120 ft.)

Now, hopefully, someone can say the 'correct' way... :)

Galdrin
July 26th, 2014, 11:23
Thanks El Condor, 1 and 2 is now set up in a satisfying way. I udnerstand that I can use the DIS modifyer down in the laft bottom corner but I'd still like to know hos to use the DISCHK: [stat]

El Condoro
July 26th, 2014, 11:47
It would be tricky because the disadvantage is for a weapon thrown to long range - and there is no range checking in FG.

Galdrin
July 26th, 2014, 12:10
You also have disadvantage on all Stealth checks, but for now I'll just use the disadvantage or advantage buttons but I'm still curious of how the DISCHK: [stat] is supposed to be used.

ShadeRaven
July 26th, 2014, 13:20
Just want to point out that in the Test version of the ruleset, there's a Stealth Disadvantage checkbox under the Combat Calc magnifying glass where you put in the armor bonuses, etc.

Armor proficiency is handled there, too.

Galdrin
July 26th, 2014, 13:53
Thank you ShadeRaven. I totally missed that check box.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2014, 04:53
3. Disadvantage checks. Because of the armor the Fighter should have a disadvantage to DEX whenever the armor is worn so I thought I'd set this up as an effect. While DISCHK: works fine for all disadvantage checks I just can't get DISCHK:DEX to work. Anyone else that has this working?

If you want disadvantage on all dexterity checks then use the following effect: DISCHK:dexterity This will give disadvantage on straight dexterity checks and dex based skill rolls - not ranged attacks or dex saves as these are covered by their own effects. The 5E effects details what is expected for [stat] under the the Modifiers effects table: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

But, as has been mentioned above, disadvantage for wearing armour is just for stealth checks, not all dexterity checks. I don't think there is a way to use an effect specific to one skill. So, for PCs, use the "Stealth Disadvantage" checkbox. I don't know if there is any way to automatically do this for NPC stealth checks.

Galdrin
July 29th, 2014, 15:51
Thanks, I know I can't use it for what I intended from the start but it naged me that I couldnt' get it to work at all. Seems I did the error to use the shortform dex :)