PDA

View Full Version : HEX Map Support..

Blackfoot
July 25th, 2014, 17:28
How far down the list is improved HEX Map support? I realize it isn't a priority for most of the 'big' rulesets, but there are a fair amount that use it. I also realize that it's got to be a much bigger pain in the neck code wise than square grids. I am currently working on some HEX features for my Champions Ruleset and I'm wondering if HEX is something that will ever be addressed or if I should rethink what I'm doing.

Bumamgar
July 25th, 2014, 17:54
Heck, even 5e is using hex maps for overland maps (Page 5 of Lost Mines of Phandelver from the starter set, nice hex map of the areas around Neverwinter) so I'd think support for it would be useful for even the 'big' rulesets :)

Blackfoot
July 25th, 2014, 17:59
Pathfinder uses HEX for overland Maps too, but overland maps don't require the same sort of functionality that battlemaps do.
(great.. now I'm pointing out arguments for the wrong side of this...)

ddavison
July 25th, 2014, 21:55
Blackfoot, I'm guessing that most of the enhanced functionality for HEX based grids would be very dependent on the ruleset used. While we do support hex grids in a basic/simple fashion, we haven't seen any real strong needs for enhancement with our current official rulesets. Moon_Wizard did put in token facing into some rulesets, so with a basic hex grid and token facing, what are some other features you would like or need? What game systems use each of those features?

Without a strong need from an official ruleset, it does tend to fall lower on the list of feature enhancements we are planning, but it wouldn't hurt to list them out. Some of them might not be too bad to implement.

Bumamgar
July 25th, 2014, 22:16
I'm primarily an RPG aficionado, but it would be pretty darn awesome to be able to build a Battletech ruleset and use FG for that and similar games :)

Blackfoot
July 26th, 2014, 01:45
These are the comments that I listed in MW's idea informer post (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=76540): Space and Reach don't work properly.
Grid points are flaky... they don't always link to the proper locations and it is impossible to move tokens to some locations.
It would be nice to have proper pointers for Hex..
A cone on a hex map is pretty different than a square map cone... it should be 1 - 2 - 3 - 4... hexes.
A radius generally is a number of hexes rather than a circle or square.

The line pointer seems to work correctly.

dulux-oz
July 26th, 2014, 04:59
I do have in my list of things to tackle a Hex Extension. I need the extra functionality for my own Übergame Ruleset. However, I've got a couple of other things I need to work on first, so don't hold your breath too long :)

In the meantime, my Custom Pointers Toolkit will allow you to create some Pointers - in fact, in the Toolkit there are examples on how to create a 60-Degree and a 120-Degree Cone, which are perfect for Hex Grids. The Toolkit in on the Wiki under the Development Page, plus there's a thread on the Forums (can't remember the URL)

I hope that (sort of) helps

Cheers

Blackfoot
July 26th, 2014, 05:15
It's more about point placement and the underlays since they are completely non-existent but certainly the pointers would help as well.
I'm afraid I looked through your 'toolkit' post a while back and it came through as pretty much gibberish to me. :)
I have no idea how to implement something like that... I could probably figure it out eventually... but I too have other pans in the fire with my ruleset.

dulux-oz
July 26th, 2014, 05:46
@Blackfoot: Sent you a PM

Blackfoot
August 9th, 2014, 14:35
Blackfoot, I'm guessing that most of the enhanced functionality for HEX based grids would be very dependent on the ruleset used. While we do support hex grids in a basic/simple fashion, we haven't seen any real strong needs for enhancement with our current official rulesets. Moon_Wizard did put in token facing into some rulesets, so with a basic hex grid and token facing, what are some other features you would like or need? What game systems use each of those features?

Without a strong need from an official ruleset, it does tend to fall lower on the list of feature enhancements we are planning, but it wouldn't hurt to list them out. Some of them might not be too bad to implement.Doug, I appreciate your answer on this... and I understand that obviously much of the focus for FG is elsewhere.. but I wonder if you might consider the validity of supporting what already exists in the program as part of FG's universal features. It's 'core' elements. The concept behind FG, as I understand it, is to provide a gameplay tabletop for any game system not just the ones that have featured rulesets. HEX is a valid (and some might say actually superior) grid system, the fact that it is already a part of FG makes it worth supporting if only to not have 'broken' elements to the product. Both BRP and Rolemaster make use of HEX maps... or at least we always used them when playing actual tabletop with these games... I'm not sure about the other official and unofficial rulesets.

My main point here is that FG wants to be a 'Virtual Tabletop' and as such, the basic functions of the tabletop are of primary importance, even more than supporting the features of specific rulesets.

OK.. I have made my pitch. :)