PDA

View Full Version : Help wtih effects

iksar121
July 24th, 2014, 01:02
I have been trying for 2 hours to add an effect to mimic barbarian rage, i have searched forums and guides and copied exactly what was stated to work, it either gives me an [ERROR] Unable to decode effect details. or nothing at all happens, frankly i am sick of searching so in the hopes that someone knows whats going wrong i am posting this, please... assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have been using https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects and https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library&highlight=3.5E+effects+examples as references.

Trenloe
July 24th, 2014, 01:06
Can you post a screenshot of what you are doing? I've seen many players use this successfully - usually using the Barbarian's Rage; STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will morale; AC: -2 example from the thread you reference above.

damned
July 24th, 2014, 01:18
Hi @iksar121
Effects are very confusing until you get your head around them. And even then I still get confused...

I just did the following:
Create New Effect
Copy Trenloes string above exactly as is, and pasted it in the Effect line.
Applied it to my Barbarian Half Orc - all accepted without error...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/barbarian-rage.jpg

iksar121
July 24th, 2014, 03:38
I copied it exactly, there is an error, no effect is applied and there are no bonuses on the character sheet

damned
July 24th, 2014, 04:40
hey iksar121 - i was using C&C so i just fired it up in PF and again it works for me...
tried it with and without the locations and languages extensions - same result.

how long ago did you first install FG?
perhaps you have an older CoreRPG ruleset?

iksar121
July 24th, 2014, 05:10
Lol Today...

Trenloe
July 24th, 2014, 05:28
I copied it exactly, there is an error, no effect is applied and there are no bonuses on the character sheet

Press return so that the effect is stored in the database. Then use the button to apply the effect. Pressing the button will report this error if there is no effect details in the database - they are not stored there until you press return after entering the effect text.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2014, 05:39
I'm trying to figure out where that error message is coming from. That message no longer exists in the ruleset, so it is possibly being added by one of the extensions.

Can you try again without the extensions loaded for your campaign? (Turn off on the launch screen before starting campaign)

Also, on a related note, the effect won't change the stats on the character sheet, but it will impact the relevant rolls.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 24th, 2014, 05:41
I'm trying to figure out where that error message is coming from. That message no longer exists in the ruleset, so it is possibly being added by one of the extensions.
I can recreate that error message by entering the effect line but not pressing enter/losing focus before I press the effect button.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2014, 06:58
Ah, that's the issue. The effect lines are set up to delay updates until they lose focus, in order to prevent them re-ordering in the list until you are done typing. I bet that is what is happening.

I need to make some changes to the client to lose focus on keyboard entry fields when clicking on a non-keyboard entry field, I think.

Regards,
JPG

iksar121
July 24th, 2014, 07:45
Holy cow guys... i feel like an idiot D=... Thanks for the help tho!!!!

Willot
July 24th, 2014, 13:01
They should thank you. You found a bug!

iksar121
July 24th, 2014, 17:27
Oh lol =D hah!