PDA

View Full Version : PAR5E and Races

Bumamgar
July 23rd, 2014, 20:49
I'm trying to parse the races from the Basic Rules. I'm having the 'last subrace of the last race' issue as noted in the PAR5E sticky, so I assume that's simply a known bug that has yet to be fixed.

However, I'm also getting the pictured invalid XML output, at the end of the main race <text> block before the <listlink> for the subraces starts. Has anyone else encountered this issue and have a work around?

Thanks!

Irondrake
July 23rd, 2014, 23:51
Going to need to see the text file for that part to see if its a formatting issue or if its just a syntax issue. Can you show us how that particular race is set up? Be sure you don't show the complete file, just take a screen shot of the dwarf around the subrace sections.

Bumamgar
July 24th, 2014, 00:16
Here you go...

Irondrake
July 24th, 2014, 04:30
The text file looks fine, have you checked it to make sure you don't have any sort of hidden characters? Made sure its just plain ANSI text? Maybe something you can't see is causing the issue. I always select all my text and make sure to convert it to ANSI in NotePad++ just in case something odd slips in there. You may also want to do a search for " ", odd amount of spaces. There may be a hidden character in there throwing things off. Make sure between each race you have a carriage return and start off the next race with ##;RaceName. Other than that, I don't have any blank lines in my file.

ShadeRaven
July 24th, 2014, 06:28
I am not, in fact, having the last subrace of the last race issues with my Library/Mod File. Humans, being last, cover that issue quite well, actually, if it's there.

As far as blank lines go, I use them quite regularly (to make reading the files easier) so there's not going to be an issue with that.

Here's what my races.txt looks like in that sample range you gave:

Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin ... (this is one line, not broken up)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and ... (again, one line)
Subrace: Two main subraces of dwarves populate the worlds of D&D: hill dwarves and mountain dwarves. Choose one of these subraces.

#s;Hill Dwarf
As a hill dwarf, you have keen senses, deep intuition, and ...
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases ...
Dwarven Toughness: Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and ...

#s;Mountain Dwarf
As a mountain dwarf, you’re strong and hardy, accustomed to ...
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by ...
Dwarven Armor Training: You have proficiency with ...

No troubles with the parsing of the above for me, which looks similar to yours. Again, though, keep in mind that Dwarf comes first and I will leave Humans as the last entry in the TXT file with other races filling in between.

Bumamgar
July 24th, 2014, 11:08
It could be because I only have the one race in the file right now (I was trying to parse a single race before I added all the others). I'll add Human at the end and see if it resolves the issue.

The other thing I noticed is that my Hill Dwarf entry has "The gold dwarves of Faerun" but the u in Faerun has an umlaut over it, so that non-ASCII character might be messing it up too...

ShadeRaven
July 24th, 2014, 12:11
That Faerun u will do it, actually, yes. I ran into that myself, come to think of it.

Irondrake
July 24th, 2014, 13:34
Yeah that U tended to convert to the actual UTF code, so it may be better to just remove it and replace it with a plain old u :) It could be that having only one race in the file would cause an issue as well...but it should still parse that way. If you only want one race, it should be fine. Initially I had to put a carriage return at the very beginning of my file, but I think that was fixed at some point.

ShadeRaven
July 24th, 2014, 14:28
Yeah, I don't have a CR at the start of the file. And I did get it to work myself with just one race initially, with some formatting tweaks and such needed eventually.

What we do know is that it's possible to get all the "Basic" races in (plus probably anything else you want to add from previews or personal) and "referencable". Just a matter of tweaking a little here and there sometimes.

Bumamgar
July 25th, 2014, 01:57
Ok, figured it out. The 'u' wasn't the problem (or at least, not the only problem). The real issue was that Traits had to be #h;Traits not #h;Dwarf Traits

Irondrake
July 25th, 2014, 02:03
Ahh yes, for now it must appear as the example in the PDF documentation shows.

Bumamgar
July 25th, 2014, 03:07
Seems to be working fine now, except that the various sub-race features are all simply named for the subrace itself. I saw someone else post about this, so maybe it's a known bug with PAR5E? Anyone have a work-around?

Irondrake
July 25th, 2014, 04:37
Yes, that's how they look right now, but if you open them up, the correct titles are on the windows and they go where they need to go on the PC sheet I believe.