PDA

View Full Version : Bug (3.5E): Health Dots Do Not Draw Correctly...

HoloGnome
July 23rd, 2014, 06:02
When dragging tokens from the Combat Tracker to any image that has had a grid applied to it (even if the grid is currently turned off), the health dots will not be visible at any scale factor. If you drag the same token to an image that has never had a grid applied to it, the health dots draw correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Images and right-click to create a new image
2. Make sure show all health dots is enabled in the options
3. Drag a PC token from the Combat Tracker to the blank image window - the health dot is drawn correctly
4. Remove the token
5. Apply a grid to the blank image window
6. Drag the same PC token from the CT to the blank image window - the health dot will be missing
7. Remove the token
8. Shut off the grid
9. Drag the same PC token again from the CT - the health dot will still be missing

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2014, 22:47
Looked at this one today. I'm not able to recreate with v3.0.7 in a PFRPG campaign without extensions.

JPG

HoloGnome
August 5th, 2014, 06:16
The problem occurs in 3.0.6 / 3.5E (not PFRPG) with no extensions loaded. Suggest you check it in 3.0.6 first to verify the reproducible case.

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2014, 08:59
Just tried with 3.0.6 and 3.5E ruleset following your steps with always visible health dots. I created a brand new campaign with a brand new PC (only entered name, portrait, HP and wounds) dragged onto CT then onto new blank image.

Any extensions being used?

JPG

HoloGnome
August 5th, 2014, 19:36
No extensions - all disabled. I will check again with a clean campaign (but not sure why that should matter). Could it be a theme-related issue?

HoloGnome
August 5th, 2014, 20:19
Just checked again. Clean campaign, no extensions, default theme - still occurs. Definitely a bug. However, my initial description of health dots being "invisible" was not exactly correct. The problem is in the health dot scaling assumptions vs. the grid size and also in subsequent scaling after deleting/changing the grid size. At smaller initial grid sizes the dots are virtually invisible and are not usable.

Bottom Line: The current health dot scaling assumptions make the feature hard/impossible to use at smaller grid sizes and the initial scaling is incorrectly remembered even though the grid size changes, indicating a probable variable reset/update issue.

Ideally, the health dot should never go below a minimum usable size and should probably not be scaled significantly relative to the grid size. Even at smaller grid sizes, the default health dot size would probably be OK.

See attached image - hopefully more clear now.

nb. Grids I typically use for mapping are 25-30.

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2014, 20:30
It could also be related to the size of the tokens you are using, since indicators are scaled relative to token size. I use 50x50 tokens for Medium creatures. What size are your tokens?

I'm guessing this will not be something that can be addressed short term, though we can identify the situation now.

JPG

HoloGnome
August 5th, 2014, 21:08
I'm using character tokens (I think the default ones) that are 128x128. But...token size vs. creature size probably shouldn't matter. If someone wants to make a huge creature out of a 50x50 token, it would just be a lower res image.

My suggestion: Eliminate all health dot scaling - just draw them on top at a minimum visible/same size for all tokens. This approach would also fix the grid memory/token scaling issue and reduce code complexity.

Something in the 10-15 pixel range would probably work, be very visible, compatible with most grids, and would significantly increase usability. Scaling health dots reduces usability and players shouldn't have to worry about token size vs. creature size vs. health dot size.

ps. The above suggestion would also be consistent with the implementation of the yellow "facing" arrows, which are not scaled and drawn on top of the token image.