PDA

View Full Version : Request for artistic insight about Boost/Lower traits

Ikael
July 22nd, 2014, 21:58
One small feature I have been working some time ago for SW is ability to easily mark any trait as BOOSTED or LOWERED by 1 to 2 steps. As you might know in SW the Boost/Lower Trait power is very neat one but in the ruleset it's not so well supported because you should change your die type and remember to adjust them back when effect is over. With this small feature any trait can be marked to have +2 to -2 adjustment. It would change the die type automatically and it would indicate that this trait has been adjusted. This makes the use ot power more smoothier and easy to remember if you would need to adjust your trait back to original.

Everyone is ready, except intuitive graphics to indicate adjustment. I have done two thumb up and two thumb down icons with different colors to indicate that something has happened to these trait, but personally I don't feel that they are that intuitive to tell how much trait has been adjusted and to what direction. See attached images (white frames around icons are rendered by FG engine, icons are just thumbs up/down). My question is, does anyone have good idea how these adjustments (+2, +1, -1, -2) could be indicated more intuitively? The problem on my end is that icon needs to be 12 x 12 pixels size and I am not that savvy with graphics. Any suggestions and help is approciated :)

Mask_of_winter
July 23rd, 2014, 01:14
How about an arrow up or down with one or two chevrons depending?

scionofnyarlathotep
July 29th, 2014, 13:13
I think it needs to be as simple and utilitarian as possible so would suggest just icons saying +2,+1,0, -1 and -2. Arrows and things can be a fiddle, number icon say exactly what they do. I'm play testing it tonight Aki with doswelk for Hellfrost. Will provide feedback on how it goes.

Ikael
July 30th, 2014, 21:50
I tried arrows up/down but it was not so easy to read difference from small icons. That was the same issue with thumb up/down and that's why I decided to use color codes. I have started to lean more to +/- numbers with color codes to indicate changes. Maybe the frame surrounding the number could be slightly different compared to trait modifier to make make difference. I have also learned that body could be more than 2 steps, so it makes more sense to use numbers.

grapper
July 31st, 2014, 13:46
How about a indicator symbol with the value displayed by tooltip hover? or is that too complicated?