PDA

View Full Version : Thank you

WolfStar76
July 22nd, 2014, 19:24
I know there's a sticky thread for showing FG love - but, I wanted to take a moment to call out a special and specific thank you to the fine folks of SmiteWorks.

I was a pretty early adopter - buying in shortly after FG launched - I seem to recall my original version being 1.05 or something similar. I was posting around here in the forums for support from time to time - I was heavily invested.

Alas, time marches on, my friends and I would wax and wane on playing D&D. I got married, had kids, couldn't DM as much.

We poked at 4E a little bit with FGII, and it was okay, but we couldn't really get a group together regularly.

Today I saw that we're now up to FGIII. I thought for sure that my key would be expired by now - but lo and behold, I'm still fully able to use my full license.

Honestly - I'd have grumbled, but not been surprised to learn I needed to buy a new copy. I'd have given the current trial a spin, and would have polled my friends to see if we want to get back into this. If they did - I'd have probably pushed for an Ultimate Licence to keep things simple.

But instead I find that my years-old licence keys (at LEAST 8 years old judging by the file date on my license text file) still work. Instead, I'll be able to spend some $$ in the store for tokens or other items if my group gets back together. That's FANTASTIC customer service - and it really delivers on the value.

Thank you, everyone.

[EDIT] Well, judging by my join date it's been over a DECADE since I bought in. Even more impressive. Thank you, Smiteworks!

ddavison
July 22nd, 2014, 19:34
Welcome back and thanks for posting. While we can't always guarantee that upgrades will remain free forever, we've tried really hard to keep it that way so far.

Nylanfs
July 22nd, 2014, 21:37
Plus you can find new players with the influx of Steam users. :)

WolfStar76
July 23rd, 2014, 13:17
Plus you can find new players with the influx of Steam users. :)

I saw that there was a post about Steam Greenlight, which is pretty cool - but it was one of my friends who discovered that his registration key worked with Steam. I'm all integrated now - and I won't have to keep my license key text file forever and ever now (so glad I have my own website host - I'd have lost all our keys forever ago. . . . )

[Hey, as long as this is getting Steam integration, to whom do I start begging for steam cloud saving for my campaigns, ehh? EHHHH?]

I dunno that I'm social enough, on this front, to run games with "strangers" - but I will say I'm digging through the new features in the 5E settings and LOVING them.

Drag and Drop for files? I remember having to make shortcuts on my desktop to get to the right subfolders for images, maps, etc.

The DM's party dice roller though . . . that is utter BRILLIANCE. I'm really considering tossing together a one-shot adventure for my buddies, just so I can get full use out of the toolset.

In short - FG continues to grow and amaze, and keeps bringing me back into the fold. :)

WolfStar76
July 23rd, 2014, 13:19
Welcome back and thanks for posting. While we can't always guarantee that upgrades will remain free forever, we've tried really hard to keep it that way so far.

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's remained free for this many generations of updates. A decade worth of updates for free? That's unheard of. I could forgive you guys if you opted to "start from scratch" on a new version - and charge people accordingly at that time (though a discounted upgrade path wouldn't be unwelcome). ;)

I remember now what it was that my "claim to fame" back in those early days a decade ago.

I'm pretty sure I was the first person to post about the spinning dice easter egg - and that was when the die would spin for 5+ seconds.

Ironically, I miss that feature for my own die rolls, but I'm glad nobody else at my "table" can do that. . . as there's always that one guy who abuses it. . . .

Trenloe
July 23rd, 2014, 15:45
Ironically, I miss that feature for my own die rolls, but I'm glad nobody else at my "table" can do that. . . as there's always that one guy who abuses it. . . .
You can still do it, its a lot harder though, you have to "flick your wrist" a bit more. :)

ddavison
July 23rd, 2014, 21:37
The funny thing is that I show that feature on our Steam trailer for Fantasy Grounds. I don't tell them how to do it though.

Dakadin
July 23rd, 2014, 21:59
There is an easy way to do it but like Doug I would rather not advertise it since it takes awhile for the PCs to get over doing their rolls that way. :p

Send me a PM and I will let you in on the secret. :)

(It only seems to work on d20's though)

damned
July 23rd, 2014, 22:52
ive only ever seen it work on d20... i think that is by design?