PDA

View Full Version : Bug: 3.5E Crasher - Remote Client Stops Functioning - Erasing Images...

HoloGnome
July 20th, 2014, 16:44
I reported a problem previously about image loading/zooming crashing remote clients - "Fantasy Grounds has stopped working" - etc. However, I am having trouble locating that thread (may be part of another thread - not sure). But, I have more details now after experiencing the problem again.

Last night, during a gaming session, this problem happened again at least 3 times. There were 2 remote players and both clients stopped working. The GM host FG instance was OK.

Image Type: PNG (8-bit)
Image Size: 387K
Image Dimensions: 1024x619
(Image Attached)

FG Crash/Exit-to-Shell Scenarios:

Player 1 Crashes (x2):
1. As GM/host, I had been drawing on the map.
2. Player 1 experienced 2 crashes and in each case they were exactly correlated to when I used "Clear Drawing" (erasing everything) from the radial menu.

Player 2 Crashes (x1):
1. Player 1 was drawing on the map (and also using the eraser). At that moment, as GM, I was not using the drawing tools.
2. Player 2 reported that their client stopped working

As long as nobody touched the eraser tool, the remote clients did not exit.

Maybe this extra info helps localize the problem to the erase function.

ps. Has there been any more internal discussion about a public-facing bug database? I'm trying to add "Bug" to the titles of relevant posts, but random forum threads are not ideal from a process standpoint.

HoloGnome
July 20th, 2014, 17:07
Just an additional thought/speculation - it seems like the erase function is trashing memory. It might be worth checking to make sure that the erase file i/o isn't using common structures already in use by other write operations at a time when it shouldn't and/or without some kind of protection - object instance/semaphores, etc.

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2014, 19:51
The erase code actually uses the same logic as the unmasking code, so I think it would be a more prevalent issue if the erase logic was an issue.

Thanks for the investigation work. That will help narrow the scenario.

Regards,
JPG

HoloGnome
July 21st, 2014, 21:59
No problem - glad to help - were you able to get the attached image? It now says the link is invalid, but I thought it worked initally.