PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Wiped

Trashkicker
July 17th, 2014, 01:09
When I started up my Campaign today I received an error (unfortunately I click OK to fast to notice what it was... something about abilities i didn't give it much thought) and suddenly all my campaign data is lost. Characters are blanked out, Story gone, everything is wiped. Any help would be great

Trenloe
July 17th, 2014, 01:16
You can try seeing if there is a backup of your campaign database. FG makes a copy of the campaign data each time a campaign is launched.

Open the FG App Data directory by clicking the folder icon in the top right corner of the first screen of Fantasy Grounds.
Go to campaigns\<your campaign name>
Make a backup copy of your current db.xml file (just in case), then rename the latest db.backup.XXXXXXXXX.xml file to db.xml.
Load up your campaign in FG and you should have the last data from the backup - you may have lost some data, but not all of it.

Trashkicker
July 17th, 2014, 01:22
Thanks Trenloe,

I'm able to get the error this time: Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file db.xml - Error on line 34953: Error reading Attributes.

Trashkicker
July 17th, 2014, 01:45
I've found the problem not sure how it happened but around said error line in the DB a bunch of the data has been corrupted and it just looks like jibberish. I'll post a line from it:

ݩ<3gw^y; Wѳ*xbIX PS=i={x/~rz8"[(=uAƑ?np"<ouWѪ)Q8Pq1hK&ԥR-u)9T5,"F__ǷKMd""'58ߦOb]`&2Ҥ0(R

Might of jacked up a couple characters as well, i'll see what I can salvage...

Trenloe
July 17th, 2014, 03:10
You're not storing your campaign data on a cloud with syncronisation are you? Like dropbox, onedrive, etc.?

Trashkicker
July 17th, 2014, 17:07
no, local. Not sure how it happened but i ended up deleting a character and was able to get it working again, Thanks for the help

Trenloe
July 17th, 2014, 17:12
no, local. Not sure how it happened but i ended up deleting a character and was able to get it working again, Thanks for the help
Glad you got it working. :)

Griogre
July 17th, 2014, 17:58
I just wanted to mention that it may be possible for a player to recover that character if it is important. If it was owned by a player it should be in his player cache. When I had a bad failure and lost a hard drive, I started a new campaign and had the players connect and open a second instance of FG set to manage characters to open read only versions of their characters. They were then able to transfer the info over to the new campaign. You could then just export the character and put it in the appropriate campaign.

Trenloe
July 17th, 2014, 18:22
I just wanted to mention that it may be possible for a player to recover that character if it is important. If it was owned by a player it should be in his player cache. When I had a bad failure and lost a hard drive, I started a new campaign and had the players connect and open a second instance of FG set to manage characters to open read only versions of their characters. They were then able to transfer the info over to the new campaign. You could then just export the character and put it in the appropriate campaign.
Good tip.

If the ruleset supports exporting characters, the player will be able to export their character XML from manage characters and send to the GM, giving an exact copy of the character at the point the player last accessed it. The GM would just need to load the XML into the campaign, no need to manually transfer the character across.