PDA

View Full Version : Creative Player Looking for GM or Other Like Players

GTZen
July 16th, 2014, 08:52
I'm not a Meta Gamer... I'm the opposite. The combat system is great and all, but I,m interested in the story, world, and sandbox.

I do enjoy adventures... It's just that I wind up spending the rest of the week thinking of my character's next steps and answering questions and
plot points that come up, and the rest of the party is ready to move on.
So if you are like me... and enjoy more consideration to the story than the battles; leave a response or pm me.

Fitting terminology I admittedly looked up earlier:

Narrativist
Simulationist
Blue booking

Fallen_SHadows
July 18th, 2014, 22:25
i'm definitely interested mainly because i like to immerse myself in the world more so than get caught up in loads of rule lawyering, so if we can get a GM then that sounds good also what time around are we looking at playing? my timezone etc is just below

GunnarGreybeard
July 19th, 2014, 08:20
GTZen, what time zone are you in? Do you have a preference for any specific game system?

dr_venture
July 20th, 2014, 00:14
In addition to time zone and game system, you might want to indicate any preferred gaming days and hours.

Lavaeolus
July 20th, 2014, 13:11
I'm looking to pull together a group I could GM Pathfinder for. Thinking the Midgard setting which is quite a gritty Northern European feel.

I'm GMT+8

For players in Europe and the US this means I'm free your Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning.

avro5731
July 20th, 2014, 18:17
Im in for a Friday night pathfinder game!!! Let me know time and character build info... Wooot

SheerANONYMOUS
July 20th, 2014, 18:55
That Midguard thing sounds interesting. My Friday nights are usually free, and my Sunday mornings.

GTZen
July 21st, 2014, 05:32
i'm definitely interested mainly because i like to immerse myself in the world more so than get caught up in loads of rule lawyering, so if we can get a GM then that sounds good also what time around are we looking at playing? my timezone etc is just below

GTZen, what time zone are you in? Do you have a preference for any specific game system?

I'm in the Eastern US timezone. I've only had enough experience in D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder; but I intend to get the seemingly obscure(?) Mythic system.
@F.S. I'm available any day of the week any time; that is to say I'm compatible with any designed schedule right now.

I'm looking to pull together a group I could GM Pathfinder for. Thinking the Midgard setting which is quite a gritty Northern European feel.

I'm GMT+8 For players in Europe and the US this means I'm free your Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning.

Hey there Lavaeolus... We are looking for a GM willing to allow both allow for story Emerson and to step out of that to add filler to that story (even if it is to be arranged outside of the session).
@F.S Would you say that is what you are looking for in a GM as well?

Lavaeolus
July 21st, 2014, 14:23
I'm in the Eastern US timezone. I've only had enough experience in D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder; but I intend to get the seemingly obscure(?) Mythic system.
@F.S. I'm available any day of the week any time; that is to say I'm compatible with any designed schedule right now.

Hey there Lavaeolus... We are looking for a GM willing to allow both allow for story Emerson and to step out of that to add filler to that story (even if it is to be arranged outside of the session).
@F.S Would you say that is what you are looking for in a GM as well?

Thats exactly what I'm looking for in a group. I am running a game this Friday but could run a session one evening Mon-Thur next week for one or two players. I'm may record the session on Friday, if I do I'll share it with you so you can see me in action.

avro5731
July 21st, 2014, 14:39
Im free Monday or Tuesday's

Fallen_SHadows
July 22nd, 2014, 09:45
i'm free almost every friday and saturday, so i'm in there just may be the odd friday or saturday that i miss once every other month, also i'm pretty interested in the midgard setting from what i've read

Lavaeolus
July 22nd, 2014, 15:56
I am running a game this Friday for another group - assuming that goes ok I'll get to work setting up the Midgard campaign. I'll post here on Saturday or Sunday with a link to the new campaign thread and anyone interested can join.

Andrepartthree
July 22nd, 2014, 18:55
I'm not a Meta Gamer... I'm the opposite. The combat system is great and all, but I,m interested in the story, world, and sandbox.

I do enjoy adventures... It's just that I wind up spending the rest of the week thinking of my character's next steps and answering questions and
plot points that come up, and the rest of the party is ready to move on.
So if you are like me... and enjoy more consideration to the story than the battles; leave a response or pm me.

Fitting terminology I admittedly looked up earlier:

Narrativist
Simulationist
Blue booking

Kudos to GTZen for beginning a thread like this to begin with - as far as I'm concerned this is the way RPG's should be in the first place ! :) I've become so disheartened by the lack of RP'ing that I've found in a lot of FG campaigns (not all but a lot ... I don't blame the GM but players often don't RP with me as much as I'd like them to :( ) that I'm putting all the spare time I normally would RP'ing into writing up my own campaign (figure at this point I'll only be happy if I'm GM'ing something that comes up to my RP standards :P ) so can't jump in much as I would like to :( ...

I do have a suggestion though... I've found that a forum set up outside of the campaign works out really well as far as the whole in-depth RP'ing thing.... obviously you want to do a fair amount of that during FG game sessions too of course :) but I've found conversations "around the campfire" so to speak (that take place during "down time" when the PC's are resting, turning in for the night to sleep, waiting for X number of hours during an FG game session for someone or something to show up ) to be very effective RP opportunities. I've also found that sort of forum RP'ing works best if it's purely "soap opera" type conversations as opposed to things that could have a concrete "physical" effect (i.e. it's best not to try to steal another PC's stuff, start a fight whether with PC or NPC, scout out the surroundings looking for info that will help you during the next FG game session and so forth... that kind of thing involves dice rolling which is probably best handled during an actual FG game session). For someone who spends the rest of the week thinking of your PC's next steps and answering questions and plot points that come up , to me anyways it sounds like that sort of forum RP would be a natural fit for you :) ... if Lavaeolus is too busy to oversee the forum (which would be totally understandable of course GM'ing can keep one very busy! :) ) ... well in the past I haven't seen that to be a problem either ... I'm known for starting up forum RP of that nature run independently of the GM so s/he doesn't have to worry about it (obviously the GM is well within his/her rights to step in during forum RP and correct if need be but... again if you limit yourself to "soap opera" type stuff with no "practical" impact on the campaign it becomes pretty much harmless conversation that just serves to further the whole role playing side of things).

If you guys are interested in that sort of thing I found this website to be particularly impressive (our GM in the last FG campaign I was in used it)

https://www.epicwords.com/

It's also useful in terms of posting descriptions of what your character looks like for everyone to easily reference, summaries of what happened in the last FG game session if a player volunteers to write such recaps , discussing who gets what in terms of loot/treasure/magic items.... if the GM feels like doing so s/he can post how much experience points your PC's got each session too.

One pitfall to beware of when you're running an RP heavy game.. it is really, REALLY easy to RP so intensively that PC's end up not getting along with each other... a certain amount of friction can lead to RP fun as long as the players involved don't take it too seriously ... the drawback is a lot of players DO end up taking it too seriously, get annoyed/upset in real life and start a "one-up" competition with their fellow PC's that ends up being disruptive to the campaign.... also bear in mind the whole thing is taking place IN YOUR HEAD .... what's blatantly "obvious" to you when you're running your PC is more than likely something that goes right over your fellow player's heads - before assuming your PC is offended by another PC's actions make sure you really understand what's going on (ask questions "in character" maybe before jumping to conclusions). Personally when I'm GM'ing I flat out ask players to decide in advance they're going to be friends with each other's PC's and act accordingly ... sure you can have disagreements but at the end of the day you should have each other's backs.... maintaining your god-given right to play your PC a certain way " because it's what my character would do damn it!" is one thing... but before adamantly exercising that right I'd stop to think about the possible impact your actions will have on the campaign if you decide to "get into it" with another PC. GM's put a lot of hard work into a campaign - try to get along for the GM's sake if nothing else ;) ... sorry for the standing-on-the-soapbox-speech but I suffered through this problem so many times as a GM when running my own RP-heavy campaign that I think it's left me permanently scarred :P ...

You might also want to decide in advance how much of the game will take place via text or via voice ... there are some accommodating GM's out there who will say "either-or, whatever you're most happiest with as a player"... I can tell you from personal experience that if you're like me and prefer to be text-only in a game where other players are communicating via voice it won't work out... the GM won't ignore you on purpose of course :P but .. it's far easier for a busy GM keeping track of a zillion things going on in the campaign at once to respond to the voice chat he can hear than it is to pay attention to the person who is communicating only via text... the person gaming via text is often left out of the game as a result ... you might want to declare it "all text" or " all voice" as far as how the players communicate and leave it at that.

Blahness98
July 23rd, 2014, 01:39
I am intending on running a game... sometime in the future.. when that will be, I have no solid clue as of yet. But am the type of person that enjoys a story. Kinda is kinda ironic that the game I am planning on running doesn't have too many RP hooks to it aside from what the players bring to the story and adjusting things to add based on player histories and suggestions.

But it's good to see more players out there that enjoy a story and role playing vs going after XP, loot and killing everything in sight.

Andrepartthree
July 23rd, 2014, 14:29
I am intending on running a game... sometime in the future.. when that will be, I have no solid clue as of yet. But am the type of person that enjoys a story. Kinda is kinda ironic that the game I am planning on running doesn't have too many RP hooks to it aside from what the players bring to the story and adjusting things to add based on player histories and suggestions.

But it's good to see more players out there that enjoy a story and role playing vs going after XP, loot and killing everything in sight.

going to take a moment to publicly praise blahness here ;) ... have had the pleasure of gaming with him before, he's a great GM and an equally great player who is very good at bringing his characters to life (great at RP'ing in my humble opinion ;) ) as well as being VERY good at the forum RP thing I mentioned above if you guys end up doing that...

GTZen
July 24th, 2014, 08:43
I am running a game this Friday for another group - assuming that goes ok I'll get to work setting up the Midgard campaign. I'll post here on Saturday or Sunday with a link to the new campaign thread and anyone interested can join.
Hey if you get it recorded for Friday let me know!

Kudos to GTZen for beginning a thread like this to begin with...
Thanks for the great advice!

DUDE! That's PERFECT. I'm currently using a system with a friend of mine that is %100 that (potentially). I'm using Pathfinder with it. But you make up the hooks, generate the chances of things.. or what things happen...

Unbutu
September 4th, 2014, 07:25
A dream of mine would be to double DM a game:

One would be the storyteller: He's focused on interacting, describing. Interacting more than anything. (I'd like that role)

One would be the Engineer/God: When the story brings the PCs in a building, he creates the building. When the actions of the PC create an encounter, he stats the ennemies. I imagine this being very flexible because he can create a bit ahead when he see things coming. (Ex: ''Oh, this conversation is heating up, better populate the encounter. The storyteller said there was 6 of them, and one had a scimitar. So I'll just take these dudes and switch this weapon for a scimitar. '' )

So the storyteller would need pretty obvious storytelling skills, but also the Engineer/God would need a lot of material handy, and knowledge of rules ect.

Is that too huge of a dream ? I don't know. The way I imagine it, it would be extraordinary.

GTZen
September 4th, 2014, 07:43
I just found D&D 3.5 Sharn City of Towers (https://www.reality.net/dnd/pdf/DnD-Eberron%20-%20Sharn,%20City%20Of%20Towers%20-%20OCR.pdf). I think you have a great idea. Creating a building in Fantasy Grounds... I don't see as instantaneous. It's not like other rpg tools that let you edit in pieces. But if the players understand that, the Engineer could make something up in an hour or a day or whatever.

It could be like, next Session I want to go here, and then the 2 DMs can come up with the building.

Valarian
September 4th, 2014, 08:11
I've found that using the text chat leads to far better storytelling and characterisation, so I use that in my games. The players posting here are players who id very much like in my games, focussing on the storyand characters, using the rules only as the engine of directing the flow of the game. That said, I think that the choice of rules does affect the quality and flow of the story. For example, I would pick Yggdrasill or Cthulhu Dark Ages for a Viking game over Pathfinder.

I think I'd love to play with any of you as fellow players, or as a GM running a game.

GTZen
September 4th, 2014, 08:46
I kind of would like a game without a pre-made story. Just a Sandbox, and maybe some isolated/implanted pre-made encounters, as well as maybe "guest" DM's who can run a dungeon. But I don't want everything made up entirely. It would be nice to have material like Sharn City.

... Improvisational

Valarian
September 4th, 2014, 09:02
Again 3.5e is not a great system for improvisational play. The setting chosen has to be known well, and the limits of such a setting, by all players. The GM has to be able to run with the suggestions from the players, the players have to listen to the other players and build on their suggestions. Encounters need to becquick and easy to throw together. Personally, I'd go with Fate, The One Ring or Star Wars for such a game.

Mgrancey
September 4th, 2014, 13:47
Sigh, Eberron. My never to be love.

Amusingly enough a couple of years ago I had been planning some of the stuff like that and had been working on downloading all of the Inquisitor. However I can never find an Eberron game.

True on DnD /PF not being that good for improv, without alot of background prep. I've seen some very interesting work by Kristian Serrano at The Immaterial Plane for Savage Worlds Eberron. I like Savage Worlds alot, but it can be a bit light on details.

I actually have a partway done, only about 15% or 40% to 50% if you ignore setting data rather than just mechanical data, for the Eberron Core book. Curse you for mentioning Eberron, now I want to run/play it!!!!!

GTZen
September 4th, 2014, 15:50
*Message reworded and rephrased*

What I'd like to have is a game of creativity. To me, that book isn't tied to a system because Im only interested in having it as a place to play in, and less about any known plot line. The fact that normally the city exists in the D&D world would be irrelevant. With that freedom, I image if someone had a part of a campaign they liked, the location can simply be imagined into the city. Other than that, I'd like to see the adventure created as we go along.

GTZen
September 5th, 2014, 07:35
Systems suggested to Play with:

Pathfinder
Fate
Mythic (https://www.mythic.wordpr.com/page14/page14.html)

City Source Material Suggestions Needed
(As an Isolated location regardless of it's system source)

damned
September 5th, 2014, 12:41
im not sure that any system could/should/would prevent you from more colourful play :)

GR0PED
September 6th, 2014, 01:00
Well i am an experienced roleplayer but haven't had much chance to play adv board games other than 40k ~ I am looking to join a pathfinder rp like this :) and would love to apply ! Just state the times and i will be there ~

Andrepartthree
September 15th, 2014, 16:40
*Message reworded and rephrased*

What I'd like to have is a game of creativity. To me, that book isn't tied to a system because Im only interested in having it as a place to play in, and less about any known plot line. The fact that normally the city exists in the D&D world would be irrelevant. With that freedom, I image if someone had a part of a campaign they liked, the location can simply be imagined into the city. Other than that, I'd like to see the adventure created as we go along.

My two cents :) .. this would be the "ideal", "perfect" sort of campaign all players long for and all GM's wish they could run... and I have seen threads on here where some GM's flat out mention they have a sandbox campaign so presumably they ARE out there ! :) .. the biggest stumbling block however is that if the players have no interest in the pre-generated adventure "hooks" and scenarios the GM has come up with and are more like " Nope, let's go do THIS instead"... short-term the GM has to scramble and pull stuff out of thin air on the spot and hopefully make it look like that's what s/he planned in the first sense to keep that sense of in-game realism going :P (some GM's I'm sure are very good at this and I salute such GM's - they manifest a huge amount of creativity). Said GM, after the FG game session is over, would then be in the "holy crap I need to write up some brand new stuff for the players!" and would then go ahead and do that.

If I had the time I would love to run a campaign like that.. for most GM's , RPG's are a labor of love , a chance to exercise our creative muscles and (hopefully) make players happy. In real life though.. well, as you've all probably noticed it can be downright hard finding a GM to run a game sometimes! :P ... Real life - job, kids, spouse (darn real life getting in the way of our fun! :P ) tends to get in the way of a GM running even a "normal" campaign in terms of "here's the mission go do it!" , even one of the GM's own home-brewed creation... I think this is why we a certain number of GM's running pre-published modules (and hats off to them too by the way simply for putting the time and effort into running any sort of campaign at all to begin with - they're still trying to get a game going that players can enjoy which is the main thing.. )... my approach on the campaign I am slowly (very slowly) but surely piecing together is to have missions for the PC's but try to accommodate for different ways they might choose to tackle said missions... and try to put enough work and detail into the campaign such that I can hopefully handle it "on the fly" when the players come up with some brand new way to solve said mission I haven't even thought of while trying to brainstorm all the possible reactions said players could have :P .. even that is better than the classic GM mistake (one I've made many a time) where you pick "one" way to solve the mission, that's it and you try to shoehorn the players into that particular "path". If the PC's flat out state "nope, don't like that mission" at that point I plan on being up front and honest with them, apologizing, and saying I simply don't have anything else prepared to run that game night and I'm not sure what else to do ... at which point I expect some good natured griping and " Okay since you put it THAT way" and the mission continuing again.. hey at least I'm being honest with them! :P ... If you work with players to try and make sure a character is generated who WANTS to go on the missions on the first place that helps a lot too (which is what I definitely plan on doing when I get my game up and running).

Having said that pre-written modules, even the best of them, almost always tend to railroad the players into a pre-selected "path" .. two of my players when I ran the old Dragonlance modules became increasingly unhappy with that situation as time went on (though I will admit I went overboard with railroading in other areas aside from the module too - the old classic " GM gets so caught up in his pre-written story he goes too far with it" scenario, something I'm trying to improve on when running games in the future) ... if I know in advance it's a pre-generated module I will simply take the GM's gentle hints to go in "that" direction without protest - heck I tend to do that even in the more home-brew sort of stuff where the GM writes his/her own modules ;) ..

Having said THAT, I do realize that there are many different approaches to RPG's too.. for some players complete and utter freedom to do whatever they like, whenever they like, is absolutely sacred and such players will hold out for a GM who can accommodate them ....though I would suggest if you find yourself in a campaign where you feel you are being railroaded at least be nice to the GM about it when communicating your concerns as opposed to the bitter " You're REALLY making me angry/upset" comments some players tend to throw at GM's :P ... not that I'm saying GTZen does that by any means I'm sure he doesn't but I've been subjected to that myself ... I'm far more likely to leave a campaign I don't like personally rather than "insisting" the GM change his or her style (my feeling is that the GM is the one putting all the work in and it would be a bit.. well, demanding.. to insist he change everything just because I'm unhappy) , usually with a " it's not you it's me" speech where I try to let the GM down as gently as possible - and I'll be the first one to admit I tend to be hugely demanding as a player (though oddly enough it's more unhappiness with my fellow players over them not "role playing / getting into character" enough with me as opposed to being unhappy with the way the GM is running things :P ) ... for any GM's out there reading this whose campaigns I've been forced to leave please also bear in mind there have been situations where you're an awesome GM and real life demands (i.e. my kids) have forced me to drop out even if I didn't want to :( .. which is another issue right there, even if the GM completely "revamps" everything to make an unhappy player happy.. and then two weeks later that player ends up dropping the game because things are heating up at work and the player can't make it to game sessions anymore.. kind of a bummer for the GM :( ...

GTZen, I'm guessing as a GM you tend to run that sort of "sandbox" game which is why you are proposing it as a model to others? :) Or am I assuming too much (which I have been known to do from time to time :P ) ...

CrimsonCrust
September 17th, 2014, 17:31
I would like to put my name in the hat for this. If anyone is going to put something together.

Unbutu
September 17th, 2014, 21:16
Thanx for chipping in Andree. Seems a good point that the main reason not to do this with classic DnD - pathfinder is the difficulty to scrape togheter maps en encounters.

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2014, 23:43
Thanx for chipping in Andree. Seems a good point that the main reason not to do this with classic DnD - pathfinder is the difficulty to scrape togheter maps en encounters.

Holy crap somebody actually read my wall of text and didn't fall asleep? I'm flattered ! :P (seriously, thank you ;) )

GTZen
September 19th, 2014, 05:40
Holy crap somebody actually read my wall of text and didn't fall asleep? I'm flattered ! :P (seriously, thank you ;) )

I read it too! I was thinking about the dynamics of a true un-railed campaign, without the disaster of anarchy. Maybe creating a contained area of a city. Like 1 to 4 blocks. The only thing that would preexist is the roads and alleyways. Whatever comes about that would be needed, is created as needed. When that has run it's course, we can open a new block-space.

I have a rpg system that I've already become familiar with that involves yes/no questions, "fate" statistics, detail generation, and event generation. It's called Mythic. I've never actually used it to it's full potential but it's supposed to provide a gm free capability if needed.

BTW one of the features in Mythic I really like is when a double is rolled like 11, 22, 33 ext.. you would roll for something to happen like introducing an npc, or something going good or bad. Another mechanic I like is the more plot quests going on, the better your rolls get, and the more chances of the event roll. Also includes 2 lists of 100 descriptives you can pair. It's pretty much a generative system.

Andrepartthree
September 22nd, 2014, 02:30
I read it too! I was thinking about the dynamics of a true un-railed campaign, without the disaster of anarchy. Maybe creating a contained area of a city. Like 1 to 4 blocks. The only thing that would preexist is the roads and alleyways. Whatever comes about that would be needed, is created as needed. When that has run it's course, we can open a new block-space.

I have a rpg system that I've already become familiar with that involves yes/no questions, "fate" statistics, detail generation, and event generation. It's called Mythic. I've never actually used it to it's full potential but it's supposed to provide a gm free capability if needed.

BTW one of the features in Mythic I really like is when a double is rolled like 11, 22, 33 ext.. you would roll for something to happen like introducing an npc, or something going good or bad. Another mechanic I like is the more plot quests going on, the better your rolls get, and the more chances of the event roll. Also includes 2 lists of 100 descriptives you can pair. It's pretty much a generative system.

Thank you as well for not falling asleep then whilst reading it :P ... that is actually a really good idea (in my humble opinion anyways ;) ) , the 1 to 4 city blocks expanded as needed thing ;) ..

GTZen
October 11th, 2014, 07:25
I just wanted to give an update. I just bought the new city dlc. It's Good to have... but there's NO furnishings. I think you have to manually take it out and add to it in Photoshop. I'm thinking of getting graph paper and just drawing it out.. editing the map as it's being fleshed out. It'll be slow at first but once I have a stock of drawn stuff I can just pop it in there. At that point I bet I can use a generated system of some sort.

I had the system I want to use put in previously, but It was just a mess, so I'm redoing it. After I get that done, I'd like to actually run a test game and get a feel for ease of use, and to see what you guys think. But keep in mind in the beginning, nothing will have existed yet. I think I may also need the expertise of someone who knows their stuff about npcs.

OH! And this system Id like to use is based on questions and generation... I'd really like to use voice chat. If you have any thoughts or issues about that send me a message. I don't want to exclude those who don't have the ability, but it's just going to be easier.

Valarian
October 11th, 2014, 08:41
Furnishings can be done as tokens rather than edits. This allows you to use the maps in various contexts, RPG Map Share has furniture tokens. Also, if you have Campaign Cartographer, you can use the tokens from that. Other mapping software also have libraries of tokens you can use.

JohnD
October 31st, 2014, 03:47
For your consideration; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22436-Recruiting-Up-to-2-Player-Openings-Available-in-a-Long-Term-3-5e-Greyhawk-Campaign.