PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summonable Monsters, Nature's Ally & Familiars Modules

Blackfoot
June 11th, 2013, 20:54
OK.. I got inspired and finally finished the Summonable Monsters Module.
All the Summonable Monsters are now available up through Level 9. (and it includes a few bug fixes)
All Summon Nature's Allies are now available up through Level 9. (and it includes a few bug fixes)
Here are all 4 of my Summons and Familiar Modules.

Please let me know if you find any issues.

EDIT: 6-13-13 Bug Fix for Summonable Monsters
EDIT: 11-22-13 Added MORE Familiars to the Basic Familiars Module
EDIT: 6-9-14 UPDATED - Summon Nature's Allies
EDIT: 6-9-14 FIXED - Summonable Monsters (Locked Again)
EDIT: 6-10-14 UPDATED - Added OGL Statement to Summonable files.
EDIT: 7-15-14 UPDATED - Added Effect Spells for Celestial & Fiendish Templates and Swapped out the 'Dog' for the 'Riding Dog'.
EDIT: 8-30-14 UPDATED - Added missing attacks for Lantern Archon.
EDIT: 11-07-15 UPDATED - Summon Nature's Allies (Added fire damage for burn in elementals and some other minor fixes.. including space/reach on a couple critters) Also switched Summon Modules to .mod files instead of .zip
EDIT: 10-09-17 UPDATED - Summonable Monsters (Repaired SR in a few monsters who had it listed incorrectly)

Callum
July 14th, 2014, 22:20
OK.. I got inspired and finally finished the Summonable Monsters Module.
All the Summonable Monsters are now available up through Level 9. (and it includes a few bug fixes)

Blackfoot, this is a great module - thanks for making it! However, I think it would be even more useful if it included the fiendish and celestial versions of each creature where appropriate. As an example, here's a version with the fiendish template added to all the 1st-level monsters (and a few bits of tidying up - for example, the riding dog has been replaced by the dog).

Blackfoot
July 14th, 2014, 22:56
Blackfoot, this is a great module - thanks for making it! However, I think it would be even more useful if it included the fiendish and celestial versions of each creature where appropriate. As an example, here's a version with the fiendish template added to all the 1st-level monsters (and a few bits of tidying up - for example, the riding dog has been replaced by the dog).
Uhh.. why would you replace 'riding dog' with 'dog'? Technically the PRD lists it as 'Riding Dog'... yes.. it's a 'Dog' but that's not how Paizo lists it. This is setup for Pathfinder... not 3.5..
EDIT: OK.. I take that back.. when the heck did they change that.. they don't even have a link to the critter in there anymore. Hrm.

also.. the fiendish and celestial templates are all pretty much just 'effects' that can be placed on the critters... it's a lot of extra work and duplication to build each as individual entries. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad a job to build them in (now that I know how to add spells to modules) so that each of the critters that has a fiendish/celestial option has a couple of spells that create the appropriate effects... I'll look into that.

Callum
July 15th, 2014, 09:27
Uhh.. why would you replace 'riding dog' with 'dog'? Technically the PRD lists it as 'Riding Dog'... yes.. it's a 'Dog' but that's not how Paizo lists it. This is setup for Pathfinder... not 3.5..
EDIT: OK.. I take that back.. when the heck did they change that.. they don't even have a link to the critter in there anymore. Hrm.

I guess they changed that when they errata'd the riding dog to CR 1, which would make it unsuitable for the 1st-level list. I don't know why they didn't add the link to the dog (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/dog.html#_dog) stats.

also.. the fiendish and celestial templates are all pretty much just 'effects' that can be placed on the critters... it's a lot of extra work and duplication to build each as individual entries. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad a job to build them in (now that I know how to add spells to modules) so that each of the critters that has a fiendish/celestial option has a couple of spells that create the appropriate effects... I'll look into that.

I like the idea of treating the templates as effects that you can add to the creatures. I'm not sure it can be done, though, because several of them are variable - SR equal to the new CR + 5, for example, and the effects of smite good/evil. There's also something to be said for having all the info in the NPC entry for the specific creature that's been summoned. But it is a lot of extra work, I grant you.

Blackfoot
July 15th, 2014, 15:04
I like the idea of treating the templates as effects that you can add to the creatures. I'm not sure it can be done, though, because several of them are variable - SR equal to the new CR + 5, for example, and the effects of smite good/evil. There's also something to be said for having all the info in the NPC entry for the specific creature that's been summoned. But it is a lot of extra work, I grant you.
I fiddled around with this last night after reading your post. I got the 'spells' working nicely the only trick is that SR cannot be applied as an effect, but actually... since virtually ALL summonable monsters should have either the Celestial or Fiendish option (at least the ones that can), they should ALL have their SR set regardless of which aspect they take on... which is easy enough to do... although there are a LOT of critters in there. The 'effect spells' need to vary depending on the HD of the critter... but that's not all that complex an issue. I will revisit the whole module again with this in mind. If you found any other bugs with it, 'minor tweaks'.. as you said.. please let me know. I was unaware of the changes to the 'dog' but that has now been corrected.

EDIT: I probably 'should' build in a Smite 'spell'... but this is another level of complexity as it requires looking at the HD and the CHA for each critter instead of just a copy paste... not happening.

Blackfoot
July 15th, 2014, 16:59
This now includes Template Spell Effects to handle the Celestial and Fiendish Templates... ALL critters that have access to those templates now have 'Spell Resistance' as well and their CR has been adjusted to include the Template.

NOTE: NO Effect is included for their 'Smite' Ability nor is there any mention of their 'darkvision 60' except in the Celestial and Fiendish writeup that is included with this module.
The smite can be handled by the GM or player with an Effect that does :
Smite (Good/Evil);ATK:x;DMG:y
where x is the CHA of the creature summoned and y is the HD of the creature summoned... once applied this would need to be targeted against the specific target creature by the GM in the combat tracker.

I suppose if I were a lot less lazy I could go back through and add these for the various monsters. There are 111 monsters in this module.. only about half of them do these effects apply to.

SECOND NOTE: I also took care of the issue with the Riding Dog/Dog.

EDIT: The Updated Module can be found in the first post of this thread.

Trenloe
July 15th, 2014, 17:21
Moved the modules and related posts to it's own thread. Having stuff relating specific to these modules (including the modules themselves) embedded within a large, generic thread, was counter productive.

Blackfoot
July 15th, 2014, 17:32
There are probably a couple dozen other 'related' posts in that thread as well. :)
But honestly.. this makes it a little easier for me to find if I should need to update it again... thanks.

Blackfoot
August 30th, 2014, 07:04
UPDATE - Repaired missing attacks for Lantern Archon.

Please let me know if anyone comes across any other issues with these modules and I will repair them.
Thanks,
BF

Blackfoot
November 7th, 2015, 18:56
UPDATE - Summon Nature's Allies (Added fire damage for burn in elementals and some other minor fixes.. including space/reach on a couple critters)
Also switched Summon Modules to .mod files instead of .zip
I find the familiar modules to be pretty much useless so I won't be updating those in the future.

hobit
April 24th, 2016, 03:47
Hi,
I've not yet loaded this into FG (not a DM, not sure I can) but looking at the XML, I don't think this includes an augmented summons version for each. Suggestions on how to deal with that? Should I just add an effect that augments them? The effect thing seems easy enough actually but I'm not all that good with FG so I'm not sure it will work especially as a player (I want to keep the DM's work as minor as possible).

Blackfoot
April 24th, 2016, 13:01
I handle it using an effect and then bumping up the HP.
Augmented Summons;STR:4;CON;4
The GM will also need to add 2 hp per HD to the creature's base HP.

One caveat.. creatures who rely on Weapon Finesse... like eagles... will be a bit screwy. They will gain a +2 to their attacks even though they should not... since STR really does not play into their attack roll... but FG doesn't know the difference for the NPC. It is best in this situation for the GM to handle it manually... or to create a slightly different effect. No STR bonus, +2 to damage.
Augmented Summons;DMG:2;CON:4

hobit
April 25th, 2016, 14:29
I handle it using an effect and then bumping up the HP.
Augmented Summons;STR:4;CON;4
The GM will also need to add 2 hp per HD to the creature's base HP.

One caveat.. creatures who rely on Weapon Finesse... like eagles... will be a bit screwy. They will gain a +2 to their attacks even though they should not... since STR really does not play into their attack roll... but FG doesn't know the difference for the NPC. It is best in this situation for the GM to handle it manually... or to create a slightly different effect. No STR bonus, +2 to damage.
Augmented Summons;DMG:2;CON:4

Thanks,
That's useful. I would not have realized that the CON change won't impact hit points. Oyi, it's sounding like too much work for our DM.

To your knowledge, is there a way for the DM to hand control of the monsters back to the player? Any extension or something? Seems like it's a heck of a large load on the DM if this is a common thing.

I could also, I suppose, keep around characters that are the common summons. Can the DM keep them out of the combat tracker until they are actually summoned?

Any other ideas on decreasing the burden on the DM?

Mark

Blackfoot
April 25th, 2016, 14:47
Editing must be done by the GM... that part generally takes a very short time on his part. Once the monster is set up... he sets it to friendly and then all the player needs to do is double click the token on the map and they have control over the creature.
Generally, that's exactly what I do.. I keep the most common summons in the tracker... then delete them when the player levels beyond that creature's usefulness. You can control whether they are visible or not by setting them back to 'neutral' and then turning the invisible. I will then set their init to -100 or something so they are always at the bottom of the tracker.

Vader1958
July 26th, 2017, 22:05
I cant actually see a link to download these..I may be blind please help Cheers

Blackfoot
July 26th, 2017, 22:23
I cant actually see a link to download these..I may be blind please help CheersCheck the 1st post in the thread.

LordEntrails
July 26th, 2017, 22:30
I cant actually see a link to download these..I may be blind please help Cheers
Welcome to the forums!

If you can't see the link in the first thread, try a different web browser :)

oldmanpac
October 10th, 2017, 00:15
Was working with this module and noticed spell resistance was not working in the combat tracker. I think the formatting is wrong, and there should be no ":"

Also great work, thanks for the mod

Bidmaron
October 10th, 2017, 01:44
Welcome to the community forums, oldmanpac!

Blackfoot
October 10th, 2017, 02:17
Was working with this module and noticed spell resistance was not working in the combat tracker. I think the formatting is wrong, and there should be no ":"

Also great work, thanks for the modI'll take a look at it.. there may have been a formatting change since it was created... it's an easy enough fix if there is an issue.

Blackfoot
October 10th, 2017, 02:29
I'll take a look at it.. there may have been a formatting change since it was created... it's an easy enough fix if there is an issue.Actually.. it seems to work either way.. are you sure it wasn't working for you? It doesn't add an effect.. it actually sets the SR in the monster on the combat tracker.

Blackfoot
October 10th, 2017, 02:32

Also great work, thanks for the modWas there a specific monster you noticed a problem with? I just tested out the Dire Rat and the SR worked perfectly.

oldmanpac
October 10th, 2017, 03:14
I noticed on the horse, but I think I see the problem. SR is included under SA instead of SQ on the horse entry. Other monsters seem to be working fine so it must just be horse.

Is there a way to link a token to a monster from within the module? I see you have:

<token type="token">tokens/Rhinoceros.png@PFRPGSummonableMonsters</token>

At the end of your entries, but that doesn't do anything for me, I just end up with Letter Pogs.

Blackfoot
October 10th, 2017, 04:25
The module has been edited and uploaded to deal with the few monsters that had somehow gotten setup incorrectly. It should be working fine now.

Blackfoot
October 10th, 2017, 04:27
Is there a way to link a token to a monster from within the module? I see you have:

<token type="token">tokens/Rhinoceros.png@PFRPGSummonableMonsters</token>

At the end of your entries, but that doesn't do anything for me, I just end up with Letter Pogs.Unfortunately, no, there are more monsters than are available in the FG token list.. and honestly, linking them there wouldn't work right anyway.

Schneiderpants
November 23rd, 2020, 23:40
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it within the library. This is awesome, thank you.

Original Post: Hello, I have loaded these modules, but I'm not sure where to find the summoned monsters / nature's allies? Is this still compatible with FG Classic?

Blackfoot
November 24th, 2020, 00:06
Glad to hear you sorted it out.

Zebidiah
March 20th, 2021, 00:14
<del>No spells are in the spells tab and the mod is read only. </del> <<<<edit: thats incorrect.

Some spells are not in the spells, and the mod is read only. example: (level 6 -Lilend(azata))