PDA

View Full Version : Source for furniture (and door) tokens?

Hector Trelane
July 14th, 2014, 05:56
Anyone have a source for furniture tokens (paid or open source, ideally modern, or those that could pass as modern), including basic items such as doors of various kinds, partitions, counters, etc? I'm thinking of items you'd place on the middle layer of a battle map.

I'm seeking this for a use in a early 20th Century setting (or Victorian), rather than ultra-modern.

Thanks in advance.

sukEEt
July 14th, 2014, 13:48
Anyone have a source for furniture tokens (paid or open source, ideally modern, or those that could pass as modern), including basic items such as doors of various kinds, partitions, counters, etc? I'm thinking of items you'd place on the middle layer of a battle map.

I'm seeking this for a use in a early 20th Century setting (or Victorian), rather than ultra-modern.

Thanks in advance.

Try finding the CSUAC file collection. it is for mapping and it is open source, however, everything in it all 1.5-something gigabytes is all in*.png transparant format. I 3 huge vegitation modules with it already. not sure the link that i used, but i think i got it from RPGtutorials or GPGtools ... something like that. It is on the same site that has Maptools ... hope that helps

Trenloe
July 14th, 2014, 14:30
You can download the CSUAC from here: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/

Make sure to check the EULA included as although the CSUAC is free it is not in the public domain.

Blacky
July 14th, 2014, 14:54
Yup, CSUAC isn't “open source” or “libre” (I think you meant the latter). Even if you bypass CSUAC to go directly to its source (thus legally bypassing the end user agreement), many of these images are in a gray area with most of the time no clear limitations or license.

jasonisop
July 15th, 2014, 03:12
Sometimes there is good stuff posted on https://opengameart.org/

Hector Trelane
July 15th, 2014, 03:20
Wow. I should have gone to law school. Here it is: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/EULA.pdf

The relevant sections:
(d) you may use the CSUAC Art Collection to create items for personal use or resale, including book covers, maps, calendars, interior
artwork, adventures, modules, and consumer merchandise, provided such use is not intended to allow the re-distribution or re-use of
the images themselves.

(e) you may use images from the CSUAC Art Collection as décor or gaming props in office areas, lobbies, public areas, restaurants,
or retail stores. The images may be used as design elements in video, film, or television broadcasts.

For use in non-commercial, personal, no charge, just-for-fun Fantasy Grounds sessions, I'd think that meets these criteria.

Hector Trelane
July 15th, 2014, 03:21
Try finding the CSUAC file collection. it is for mapping and it is open source, however, everything in it all 1.5-something gigabytes is all in*.png transparant format. I 3 huge vegitation modules with it already. not sure the link that i used, but i think i got it from RPGtutorials or GPGtools ... something like that. It is on the same site that has Maptools ... hope that helps

Since I have none of the three listed mapping programs installed at this point (Fractal Mapper™ 8, Dundjinni™, Campaign Cartographer™ 3), can these be used as tokens directly in Fantasy Grounds?

damned
July 15th, 2014, 03:30
You may use it in almost any way you wish, including using the items to create images which are used for commercial purposes so long as the items themselves are not the product - but as far as distributing collections go:

3. Restrictions
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, you are not permitted under any circumstances:
(a) to load the CSUAC Art Collection on to a network server for the purposes of distribution to one or more other computer(s) on that network or to effect such distribution.
(b) to sublicense, distribute, or assign the images or rights to the images to another party except as outlined in paragraph 2(h).

So you cannot package them in any way (or even upload as is to a new location) and put them on a network for distribution. The internet is a network. You can do what you want when using for your own purposes on your own computer. You can do almost what you want with individual items but not the collection.

You are not required to have or to use those programs.

Trenloe
July 15th, 2014, 04:37
Wow. I should have gone to law school. Here it is: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/EULA.pdf

The relevant sections:
(d) you may use the CSUAC Art Collection to create items for personal use or resale, including book covers, maps, calendars, interior
artwork, adventures, modules, and consumer merchandise, provided such use is not intended to allow the re-distribution or re-use of
the images themselves.
Creating a token module would definitely be classed as redistribution of the images themselves as a token module is just a set of .PNG files.

As damned say - use the images in the CSUAC to create maps, images, etc. and use those in your games, even distribute the images/maps you make with items from the CSUAC but you can't distribute the individual CSUAC image files.

Since I have none of the three listed mapping programs installed at this point (Fractal Mapper™ 8, Dundjinni™, Campaign Cartographer™ 3), can these be used as tokens directly in Fantasy Grounds?
Just download the FM8 zip files and use the .png images contained therein: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm

sukEEt
July 28th, 2014, 07:07

yes, they can be used. also, i would suggest learning GIMP and INKSCAPE. Forget all the paid programs. These two have a learning curve but get the job done just as well. Gim is especially effective with the GPS 2 paint-add-on ... you can draw and make your own tokens and maps.

gmkieran
August 4th, 2014, 15:15
Google's Sketchup is also an excellent source of freely-available artwork (just look for the ones that aren't copywritten) that can be made into tokens relatively easily. It has the added advantage of being 3D to begin with, so you can choose your POV and adjust lighting prior to exporting your 2D file which can then be edited as necessary to create your token file. Also a good source for other kinds of dungeon clutter (coins, bones, treasure chests, wells, fountains, etc.). There are even several sets of walls, doors, door frames, windows, towers and even full buildings shared for the purposes of creating cities, towns and dungeons. You'll still need GIMP or similar to finish the exports off, but I find that much of the hard work can be done in Sketchup (where it's easier) and all I use GIMP for is re-sizing.

Cheers!

Blacky
August 4th, 2014, 15:27
Seems like a good idea.

Do you have a couple of example of SKetchup objects source that could be useful for rpg?

Tailz Silver Paws
August 7th, 2014, 11:48
I made a bunch of furniture tokens a while ago, you can check them out at my studio (https://www.wyldfurr.com/index.php/all-portfolio-list/fantasy-furniture-token-pack/).
https://www.wyldfurr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/fantasy-furniture-promo-art5.png