PDA

View Full Version : 3.06 & FG crashing

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 00:56
K, so I installed the new update & now when I launch a campaign, FG times out & crashes.

Random info: Running Windows 7. Connection test was successful. Different campaigns from different rulesets get the same behaviour. I replaced my RAM yesterday which seemed to reset a few things on my system - I had to reset my NVIDIA 3 monitor surround at least so I dunno what else might have been effected. My data files are on a different drive than FG.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 01:32
In your FG App Data directory look for console.log, it should look something like this:

[10.07.2014 19:59:54] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[10.07.2014 19:59:54] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM
[10.07.2014 19:59:55] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting
[10.07.2014 20:00:00] Runtime Notice: Refreshing alias
[10.07.2014 20:00:00] Runtime Notice: Alias refresh result = Success
[10.07.2014 20:00:00] Runtime Notice: Host session started

See which step it is crashing at.

Your NVIDIA setup might be causing an issue with the DirectX that FG uses. As a quick test, turn off anti-aliasing for the graphics card.

What happens if you try creating a new campaign? Just go with CoreRPG and see if that crashes.

Moon Wizard
July 12th, 2014, 01:34
The only two lines of code changed in the client between v3.0.5 and v3.0.6 are the version number, and setting the drag type when dragging link from chat window. Nothing that would affect launch or campaign load.

Potentially a driver or memory issue? I've had bad and/or incorrect memory before that only caused crashes when loading memory intensive apps.

JPG

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 01:48
I've tried new campaigns, including CoreRPG. Here's my log:

[12.07.2014 00:38:02] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[12.07.2014 00:38:02] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM
[12.07.2014 00:38:02] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting

The only antialiasing that's on is Gamma correction - all others are either off or application controlled. My memory tests fine (16 gigs). I do have a program (Curse Client) that keeps telling me my .Net is corrupted, but I reinstalled it & still get the corruption message. I also haven't recieved any similar message from any other program.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 01:57
On your load campaign screen disable the alias. (Click on "Enable Alias" so there isn't a red light to the left of it). Then try loading your campaign.

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 02:17
Still no. :(

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 02:18
Still no. :(
Where does the console.log stop without an alias enabled?

Have you tried with a brand new CoreRPG campaign?

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 02:38
Where does the console.log stop without an alias enabled?

Have you tried with a brand new CoreRPG campaign?

.... er, I answered this earlier.

It stops at Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting & I've tried a new CoreRPG campaign.

EDIT: Sorry I misread. I thought you said antialiasing again re:NVIDIA. However, it's still crashinging at FGstarting on a new CoreRPG.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 02:44
.... er, I answered this earlier.

It stops at Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting & I've tried a new CoreRPG campaign.
OK, thanks, I was asking about the console.log again as you had disabled the alias and I was wanting to see if that then indicated any further progress before the crash. Always good troubleshooting practice to check the logs after making changes to see if there is any additional information. :)

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 02:49
I'm concerned about the .Net problem. Try running the MS .Net repair tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 02:53
Odd tangent: There's an update for NVIDIA GeForce Experience available. Non-critical (Shadow Play w/e that is) that I keep 'installing but won't 'take'. Ditto for my Razor Synapse. Ditto for at least 2 Windows 7 updates that I've been trying for like 2(!!!) years. Ditto for several Chrome settings (plug-ins I don't want but Chrome keeps shoving on to me every time I open it). It's weird . . . .

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 02:55
I'm concerned about the .Net problem. Try running the MS .Net repair tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

I ran the repair in the Control Panel earlier, but I'll grab that d/l & try it too.

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 03:34
I seem to have a Windows Installation Service issue. The repair tool mentioned 2 issues regarding Windows Installation Service, told me it fixed them, & had me run a repair on my .Net framework. This prompted a reboot, where I promptly got the same message about a corrupt .Net. I ran the repair tool again & got the same two issues. I can't seem to find WIS for Win7 64 bit anywhere . . . .

damned
July 12th, 2014, 04:38
Installer (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd408114(v=vs.85).aspx)

You do sound you have some pretty messed up settings/files. At some point you will want to consider (backing up your computer) a fresh install of windows (but not before backing up your computer) but make sure you backup your computer first.

Rumbane
July 12th, 2014, 04:53
Should I back it up first?

Rumbane
July 13th, 2014, 09:37
Okay, I've done as Damned suggested with the same results (but many of my other issues seem to be resolved). So I went back to square one, un/re-installed FG. Still no dice. I noticed that it still pointed to my non-default data locale so I pointed it back to the default location & bingo - up loads FG. Something got messed up in my preferred Data file location. But what could it be? I tried multiple ruleset campaigns. Are there hard memory limits? i.e. - let's say i have 1.5gb worth of tokens & modules (mostly tokens - I'm a token nut) could this be causing a universal issue? Is FG 64 bit?

I really should go through my tokens & optimize them . . . .

damned
July 13th, 2014, 12:11
Ok...
1. Good stuff (hope you backed up anyway)
2. Even better...
3. Yes. On a 32bit system FG tops out at about 1.5GB ram usage and then weird stuff happens. On a 64bit system FG tops out at about 3GB of RAM usage. Note that is RAM usage and not file sizes. FG doesnt seem to be all that efficient in its use of memory. However the way FG works with modules is really good at keeping your memory under control. So - get rid of all the tokens. There are threads here that will tell you how to make token modules that you can open and close as you need them. Dont load up the whole world just cos you can (or want to). In most gaming sessions you probably use a half dozen new tokens and maybe the same number of maps/images. Of course that will vary greatly between GMs and between sessions but 1,000 tokens will make you slow rather than enhance your experience.

Anyways ... time to get gaming. Well done.

Rumbane
July 13th, 2014, 12:22
Thanks. :) The modular tokens will help a ton.