PDA

View Full Version : Can't install, update FG and can't connect to a Host

BsMystik
July 9th, 2014, 18:49
Hello :D

i play pathfinder over Fantasygrounds for quite some time now BUT today when i tried to connect to our gm i got the error message:
Script Error: [string "scripts/LauncherProperties.lua"]:171: bad argument #1 to 'startClient' (string expected, got boolean)

so i decided to try to update hey NEW ERROR MESSAGE :
"get packages from fg server
ERROR - GetProducts: Network: HTTP/1.0 404 NOT FOUND

so i decided hey lets uninstall and reinstall same error as before:
"get packages from fg server
ERROR - GetProducts: Network: HTTP/1.0 404 NOT FOUND

HELP ;(

Griogre
July 9th, 2014, 20:11
Sounds like it might be a hiccup in the server. Try downloading and using the installer from the download page here if you have the non-steam version:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

If you have the steam version try deleting the local content and try re-installing.

The original error looks like you have/had a command line argument in the start shortcut that's bad.

BsMystik
July 9th, 2014, 21:09
i already tried it with the downloader from the fg site today that doesnt work (im using the non steam version)

Moon Wizard
July 9th, 2014, 22:09
Can you double-check your Windows firewall and any other security software you have on machine to make sure both FantasyGrounds.exe and UpdaterEngine.exe are allowed?

Regards,
JPG

BsMystik
July 9th, 2014, 22:14
tripple checked im really really cpnfused myself why it doesnt work (last time i used it (2 weeks ago) i had zero problems)

Moon Wizard
July 10th, 2014, 00:08
That's a weird one. I would suggest a full wipe and reinstall. The only idea I have is that the file permissions have gotten mucked up, or files corrupted somehow.

1. Save off campaigns folder from within FG data folder (if you host any campaigns)
2. Uninstall FG
3. Delete FG data and app directories (if not taken care of by uninstall) (Usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds" and "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II")
4. Reinstall FG from web site installer

Regards,
JPG

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 00:57
yeha .. done aannnd yeha ... still the same (i already tried everything i got poste already btw) i even checked my registry

Griogre
July 10th, 2014, 01:17
Hmm, is this a Windows machine? Are you installing to the default locations? Is there a chance the drive is full, ie an SSD? Have you added or subtracted a drive recently?

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 01:24
windows machine default location drive 300gb free its an ssd and no i didn't

Moon Wizard
July 10th, 2014, 02:13
Maybe it's a double install situation. Can you double-check the file directories shown in the Installer Settings and make sure those match to the directories you cleaned up before, and where files are being saved when you run installer again?

Does the installer from the web site get the files at all? Does it show the "INSTALL" button as opposed to an "UPDATE" button?

Same error from installer after full wipe?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 10th, 2014, 02:16
Give this a go: right-click on the installer or updater executable .exe file and select "Run as Administrator".

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 02:24
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasygrounds same file directory always i double checked and deleted like everything that comes from fantasygrounds and loaded the installer again.
and yes it shows me "install" and same error

Moon Wizard
July 10th, 2014, 02:37
The network error implies to something blocking or modifying requests to patch.fantasygrounds.com from the FG client to our web server. I just tested the update scripts from a couple computers, and it's all working from my location; so that means that the update server has the content available. My guess at this point is some sort of security program or malware intercepting and rewriting HTTP requests coming from your machine. You can try disabling Windows Firewall and any third party security software (Avast, McAfee, Symantec, AdAware, kid site blocking, etc.) temporarily to see if one of them might be rewriting.

You can try Trenloe's suggestion to see if it is a user permission issue. Also, for the directories, try deleting both Fantasy Grounds directories completely, not just the stuff inside. If the Fantasy Grounds directory permissions are messed up, then everything saved inside may be affected.

Regards,
JPG

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 03:42
i have the problem on 2 different computers another reason why im really confused

"windows firewall disabled no malware on my computers and no security software either"

Trenloe
July 10th, 2014, 05:07
Have you tried "Run as Administrator"?

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 05:12
yes i have "on the fg i had on my pc before i deleted it and the installer"

Trenloe
July 10th, 2014, 05:24
Make sure you only have one network connection enabled. If you have a VPN or something like that, disable the VPN or other network (like an adapter for a virtual machine). If you're using a network cable for your connection but have wireless on the PC as well, disable wireless.

Also make sure the network type isn't showing as public.

BsMystik
July 10th, 2014, 13:38
i tried it with only my cable connection and only with with wlan enabled i dont have a vpn and my networks type isnt public

damned
July 10th, 2014, 13:54
BsMystik - sent you a PM...

BsMystik
July 11th, 2014, 14:32
I _ i

damned
July 11th, 2014, 14:33
im online right now...

BsMystik
July 11th, 2014, 14:53
u got a pm ^_^

Ecaza
November 29th, 2015, 15:05
Hello!

I have a player who has been trying to log into FG and has been getting "Script Error: [string "scripts/LauncherProperties.lua"]:171: bad argument #1 to 'startClient' (string expected, got boolean)" error messages. He has uninstalled and re-installed and I have cleared my Player Cache, but no go. He is calling in from Thailand and I did see a thread about how some foreign ISPs were blocked for privacy issues. Does anyone have any further insight on this error and resolution?

damned
November 29th, 2015, 23:13
please test these two and report back -
If player has a license have them try your external IP address )instead of alias) and see if that works.
if they try to host a game can they get an alias?

Moon Wizard
November 29th, 2015, 23:18
I've seen this error intermittently, but haven't been able to recreate locally. It seems to have something to do with availability of networking as well as the information entered for user name and host name when joining a game.

Can you get the exact user name and host name information that the user is entering?

Regards,
JPG

Ellspeth
February 2nd, 2016, 22:36
This thread hasn't had an entry today but I have been hit with this error. My group was playing on their own TS server and I was following the game while trying the various steps so far with no success. I can't see here what has been needed to resolve it and so far have had no luck with it myself.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2016, 22:42
This thread hasn't had an entry today but I have been hit with this error. My group was playing on their own TS server and I was following the game while trying the various steps so far with no success. I can't see here what has been needed to resolve it and so far have had no luck with it myself.
A few things to try in this thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28169-Script-Error-string-quot-scripts-LauncherProperties-lua-quot-171-bad-argument-1-to-star It ended up looking like the FG alias/update server being blocked on the computer in question. If you have a full license try connecting with the IP address not the alias and this will remove the need for any communication to the FG server.

Ellspeth
February 3rd, 2016, 11:24
Thanks Trenloe, I have been following the thread, see where RageArmor was able to resolve it, later today I will have someone help me through those steps, since with my lack of expertise on computer stuff I may misunderstand steps or not be as thorough and something remains behind I miss. Hopefully it will be resolved before my game at 2pm eastern today, at least the teamspeak Data Center issues haven't affected teamspeaks servers outside the USA yet. Yesterday was warhammer and I was able to to play my part even not connected, so so far I haven't missed anything because of this new glitch.

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 11:57
The FG TeamSpeak server is running on a box in a Data Centre that has been impacted by a major electrical issue that has a cascading effect onto other things - mostly cooling. This is a private server and its (lack of) availability is independent of other TS servers.
I sent you a PM just now about your issue.

Ellspeth
February 3rd, 2016, 13:07
Okay guys thanks for all the help, apparently whatever I did yesterday decided by this morning to kick through, Damned offered to assist and my connection to his table worked immediately. So either I am getting better at this stuff or Damned has a magic computer that scares the tweaks out when they see you connecting to him. Once again, this is a great community, and the help here is beyond measurable value.