PDA

View Full Version : Lost Mine of Phandelver Test Run: Act 1

Talen
July 6th, 2014, 22:28
I'm looking to test out the new 5e starter set and the fg ruleset by running Act I of the starter adventure on Sunday morning, July 13. I'm looking at a 10am ET start time depending on work schedule. If you're interested in doing the same as a player and have the time, give a shout. I'm open to people creating their own first level characters provided they input the info into FG (saves me the time of having to enter the PC info into FG). I might be able to run the later acts if things go well - but I don't want to over promise as work is constantly a buzz kill on that front.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2014, 01:20
Definitely interested. I'll look into creating a PC unless there are any pregens I could use?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 7th, 2014, 01:21
I would like to play.
Now just a suggestion that in passing the basic characters that comes in Starter for us to choose and there when we rode other familiar characters to a new adventure and this is fixed for new players.

Talen
July 7th, 2014, 01:38
Definitely interested. I'll look into creating a PC unless there are any pregens I could use?

There are indeed pregens that can be used ( should have been more clear on that).

1. High elf wizard
2. Human fighter ( archery fighting style)
3. Light foot halfling rogue
4. Hill dwarf cleric
5. Human fighter (defense fighting style)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 7th, 2014, 04:24
I like to play with the Rogue

kdietri
July 7th, 2014, 14:08
I'll play, and I'm happy to play any of the pre-gens.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2014, 16:23
I'm easy playing any of those pregens.

Will you be using voice chat?

Talen
July 7th, 2014, 16:49
I'm easy playing any of those pregens.

Will you be using voice chat?

I will be using the fg teamspeak server. If everyone sends me a pm with their email (I have yours trenloe), I will send them the server info (fg and ts) along with a pdf of their pregen.

viresanimi
July 7th, 2014, 17:38
That would be 16 CEST right?

I would love to try the new D&D rules, if there is room for one more.

Vires Animi

Trenloe
July 8th, 2014, 04:17
That would be 16 CEST right?
Yes, I believe it would be.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2014, 04:18
I will send them the server info (fg and ts) along with a pdf of their pregen.
Great! I'll go for PC #5 please! :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 8th, 2014, 04:30
Wow! Here in Brazil is 05 AM.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2014, 05:06
Wow! Here in Brazil is 05 AM.
Huh? 10am Eastern is 11am in Sao Paulo.

Use this link for time conversions:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=D%26D+5E&iso=20140713T10&p1=179

Talen
July 8th, 2014, 05:57
ok, Assuming everyone who posted here is able to make it, I have the following:

1. Trenloe: Human Fighter (Defense)
2. Yako2020: Rogue
3. Kdietri -TBD
4. Viresanimi: TBD
5: Open

So, If everyone is still in, I have one slot open to be taken by a new poster and with 3 people expressing an interest to either pick a remaining pregen or roll their own character up. I need everyone who is interested to send me their email so I can send them their pregen pdf (it will be in FG as well). Treloe, I will send yours as soon as I scan it.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 8th, 2014, 12:04
Sorry, you are right is 11 am :D
But 5 am or 11 am...I will play :)

ShadeRaven
July 9th, 2014, 05:58
Hey Talen, I am also running this in FG. Would love to share some idea, experiences, and strategies for using the new rules in FG.

Example:
For now, I put all the skills into a generic character sheet, and imported them as a basis for each new character. This allowed me to have each skill description on each character sheet for players to reference. Have you found anything yourself to make it easier for players to have references on hand?

Another: For now, I created a second entry for each Weapon to make rolling Criticals easier. So there will be, for example, a Greatsword entry (+4, 2d6+2) for the Human Fighter followed by Greatsword - Crit (+4, 4d6+ 2) on the combat sheet. Thus, on a crit, the player will then roll damage on the crit version of the Greatsword instead of holding shift which won't be accurate currently.

Would love to hear what tricks and tactics, experiences you come up with and can relate.

Talen
July 9th, 2014, 12:21
ShadeRaven,

That sounds great and I appreciate the offer. I'm coming off a long period of gaming and fg inactivity so don't have anything for you at the moment. I'm still building everything. I haven't even tried the parser yet. I'll give a shout if I have any epiphanies!

ShadeRaven
July 9th, 2014, 17:21
Awesome! :) Always happy to share and learn with and from others. Still toying around with things myself, trying to piece together things as we wait for the next iteration.

Talen
July 10th, 2014, 12:19
Slowly working my way through the adventure and pc creation. I never appreciated how valuable the spell/creature modules and character import functionality were until I started this process and going without them. ....slowwwwwwly.....

Your import suggestion was invaluable with the skills however!

viresanimi
July 11th, 2014, 12:38
Just a few things:

Yes, I would very much like to try it out. I haven't really had much time to read the new rules yet, but plan to. I was considering trying to make my own character. Not quite sure what to make yet, but if there is anything that I should be aware of, please say so.

I am not much of a rules lawyer and I am pretty sure my D&D knowledge skills could use a couple of ranks more, so I hope this is an opportunity for me to learn some stuff from you lot.

Vires Animi

Talen
July 12th, 2014, 14:28
Glad you can join Vires. I've received 3 emails so there appears to still be open spots if anyone else is interested. I'm leaving the FG server up from now until gameday if anyone wants to input their pc or test the connection. The server address is soft keep dead unicorn. We will be using the FG teamspeak tomorrow as well. I do have some pregen pc's entered so feel free to claim yours if that's what you're using (The rogue and defensive fighter have been claimed by Yako and Trenloe). I still have some work to do on the pc's so if you claim a pregen and its off, feel free to make your own changes, or I will do so sometime between now and tomorrow.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2014, 14:40
Looking forward to it. I'll have to read the rules tonight!

FSHSchmo
July 13th, 2014, 01:14
@Talen will you be streaming this game? I am thinking about upgrading my copy of FG to Ultimate and would love to see a live run through of a game!

Trenloe
July 13th, 2014, 01:56
I've picked up the starter set today.

Talen - which rulebook would be the best to read - the downloadable "basic" PDF or the books in the starter set?

Talen
July 13th, 2014, 03:43
Trenloe, for a player, the starter set rules should be more than sufficient-especially for Act 1.
FSHSchmo, there's still room for a player and there's always room to lurk, but I havent streamed before and doubt Ill get the hang of it before tomorrow.

El Condoro
July 13th, 2014, 06:59
Is the server address still the one above? I am trying to 'lurk' but can't connect.

gandhi39
July 13th, 2014, 06:59
I would like to play. Is it still open?

I choose the high elf wizard, but would like to make a few modifications based on the Basic D&D pdf.
I have already put all info (spells and equipment included) into a fantasy grounds character sheet and exported to a xml file.

Talen
July 13th, 2014, 13:08
El Condoro: The server is open (it may have gone done when the pc went into hibernation). Let me know if you are still having problems connecting. The game starts at 10 ET so still 2 hrs to go.

Gandhi. There is still room, feel free to load your own pc when you join.

viresanimi
July 13th, 2014, 13:14
So where do I find the server and teamspeak stuff?

Vires Animi

P.s: I'll take the cleric if people don't mind. Is it already typed into FG or should I do that in advance?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 13th, 2014, 14:29
Talen in what e-mail you sen the PDF file?
The Team Speak address is?

Trenloe
July 13th, 2014, 14:37
The Team Speak address is?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

Trenloe
July 17th, 2014, 03:24
Thanks for the very enjoyable game this last Sunday - both Talen and the other players.

Talen - any idea if/when you're going to run the next session? I'd love to continue the adventures from the starter set. No hurry - just looking to plan my Sundays... :)

Talen
July 17th, 2014, 03:45
I wont be able to play this week, but tentatively planning last Sunday in July for next session. I'm playing with the parser now. I'll post definitively in the next couple days.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 17th, 2014, 08:55
ok Talen.
I like to play :D
Sorry for the AFK, but I need make a emergency rescue :(

viresanimi
July 17th, 2014, 10:02
I have to say, that the last sunday of this month may not be possible for me. There will be a few days at the end of the month were I am not home, but dates aren't settled quite yet. Anyhooo... Will post here as soon as I know for sure.

Vires Animi

Talen
July 22nd, 2014, 00:36
Vires, Does this Sunday work for you?

viresanimi
July 22nd, 2014, 14:42
Yes. I can make it this weekend.

Vires Animi

Talen
July 22nd, 2014, 14:58
For those that ran through Act 1, I can run Act 2 on Sunday July 27 if there is enough interest. Drop a line here or email me if that will work for you. Id like to run throught the 3.07 beta and test the new changes to the ruleset.

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2014, 15:09
I'm up for act 2. Similar time to last time?

viresanimi
July 22nd, 2014, 15:22
I am up for it as well. Same time would be good for me. I am already looking at 3.7.

Vires Animi

Talen
July 22nd, 2014, 15:51
I'm up for act 2. Similar time to last time?

Yep. Same time.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 23rd, 2014, 11:35
I am ready too

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 04:40
Just checking we're still on for tomorrow (Sunday 27th) - 10am US Eastern?

Talen
July 27th, 2014, 14:40
Just checking we're still on for tomorrow (Sunday 27th) - 10am US Eastern?

Still on, but I'm running a little late. May be a 10:15 start.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 14:42
Still on, but I'm running a little late. May be a 10:15 start.
Great! I'm ready to go...

Talen
July 27th, 2014, 15:12
ok, Im back and the server is up. Let me know if you have problems connecting - I had to rset my port forwarding but should be good now. Also - Im running the latest beta version.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2014, 01:28
What are the plans for the next session? As usual, I need to start planning my weekend... :)

I think we mentioned getting a game calendar where we could suggest dates/times and vote?

Talen
July 31st, 2014, 02:10
I just created the calendar entry. The big problem tho is that with birthdays, weddings and wife plans, my weekends in August are literally completely booked. Are weekday nights (ET....GMT- 5) possible for anyone?

El Condoro
July 31st, 2014, 02:27
I put my name down as a player in the calendar but time zones are an issue so if others want to play I am happy to be bumped.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2014, 03:05
I'm free a couple of evenings a week - currently Pacific Daylight time (GMT-7 in daylight savings). I can start early evening so that may be an option - but I think it might rule out most of the rest of the band?

I'm fine leaving it until we can play on a weekend again...

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2014, 17:25
Into September... Is your schedule a little more free Talen?