PDA

View Full Version : Expiring Effects

damned
July 5th, 2014, 16:38
I cant work out how to expire effects....
I have some effects that wont expire or I dont know how to expire them...
also Im having trouble with Effect duration...

Trenloe
July 5th, 2014, 16:45
Duration of an effect in the Combat Tracker is the number of rounds until the effect will expire. The number field in the effect line after duration is the initiative slot when the duration will be decremented. When the final decrement from 1 to 0 takes place at the "Initiative to adjust on" point then the effect will be removed. If "Initiative to adjust on" is 0 the duration will be decremented at the end of the round.

If an effect is added with a duration of 0 it will not expire.

If you push a short rest, it will remove 50 rounds from the current effects that have a duration greater than 0. If you push an overnight rest it will remove all effects with a duration greater then 0.

If you want to remove an effect that has a duration of 0 the GM will need to delete it.

damned
July 6th, 2014, 01:10
Ok - here are some examples of effects I having trouble with.
2 characters have Gauntlets of Ogre Strength so I have applied the following effect to them:
STR:2
That seems to work ok, giving them adjustments. One character was enlarged 50% which should increase his strength by +2 but I cannot apply STR:2 again or even STR:4...
Grrr - although now after the game I try and it seems to take it... what?

The expiring effect is:
Despair;ATK:-3;
It has been there for 2 whole game sessions. More than 2 dozen combat rounds and its still there. Ive also applied a Long Rest to the character and no change.

How do I delete effects?
Ahhh... Ive just noticed the Effects Icon in the combat tracker... clicking that allows me to see the effects and modify/create/delete.
Ok.

Trenloe
July 6th, 2014, 02:42
One character was enlarged 50% which should increase his strength by +2 but I cannot apply STR:2 again or even STR:4...
Grrr - although now after the game I try and it seems to take it... what?
FG won't allow you to add an identical effect. So, use effect labels, e.g.: GoOS; STR:2 and Enlarge; STR:2

There should have been a message in the chat window saying something along the lines of "Effect already exists on XXXX". Check your chatlog.html file in the campaign directory to see if this was the case.

dr_venture
July 6th, 2014, 20:02
I wish there was an effect setting that would select between incrementing effects on INITs, or on the character's turn. For something like "Waiting" I want it to have a duration of 1 and expire on the character's next turn, but that's impossible right now unless I do it manually.

Andraax
July 6th, 2014, 21:24
I wish there was an effect setting that would select between incrementing effects on INITs, or on the character's turn. For something like "Waiting" I want it to have a duration of 1 and expire on the character's next turn, but that's impossible right now unless I do it manually.

Well, if you don't roll new initiatives, then that's what happens now. The other thing is to set the "initiative to adjust on" to 0, and it will happen at the end of the round. I'm working on an extension to do that automatically for effects that start with with the word "Wait".

dr_venture
July 9th, 2014, 16:55
Well, if you don't roll new initiatives, then that's what happens now.

Yeah, good point. One of the holdovers from the original campaign that I was trying to maintain... but I've been learning that some of those old holdovers just don't transfer very well to online gaming. Ah well...