PDA

View Full Version : Basic D&D

Irondrake
July 3rd, 2014, 18:12
It's available now https://www.dungeonsanddragons.com

Moon Wizard
July 3rd, 2014, 20:02
And the fun starts. I need to get my hands on a Starter Set now.

JPG

chillybilly
July 3rd, 2014, 20:29
The proficiency bonus changed from +1 to +2 at level 1 (and probably there after).

El Condoro
July 3rd, 2014, 22:51
Prepared spells Int/Wis etc modifier + level now. Good change IMO.

Moon Wizard
July 4th, 2014, 01:46
Yeah, from quick scan through book. The biggest change is the spell caster rules, plus the fact that NPCs are confirmed as full casters for spell management. (That last one is a step backwards in my mind.). There are a couple other things as well, but mostly minor.

I'll need to see if Zeus can update Par5e to get the updated data.

Cheers,
JPG

Irondrake
July 4th, 2014, 02:14
Got my Starter Set tonight. Haven't opened it yet. Haven't even had time to go through the Basic D&D rules yet. Looking forward to it.

ShadeRaven
July 4th, 2014, 02:28
So what is the state of the 5E Project here? Does the advent of the Starter Set release today foretell changes to the 5E Ruleset for FG?

Also, what's the licensing like for this looking like? Curious as to what our ability is going to be for sharing data files will be.

I'm going to put the Starter Set adventure in tonight and see how at least the initial 5E ruleset works for the Starter Set material. Should be able to play tomorrow and give some feedback.

Moon Wizard
July 4th, 2014, 03:00
It will take a little while to integrate the mechanics changes in the Starter Set for the 5E ruleset. I'm probably going to have to double develop on 5E for a while, since I'm working on 3.1 version also.

There has been no word from Wizards on allowing basic rules to be used in third party tools, so we can't offer until they allow. If you hear anything , please let us know.

For now, I'm hoping Zeus will be able to adapt his Par5e tool, to allow people to pull the text to build modules. (Much easier when/if PDFs are offered.)

Regards,
JPG

ShadeRaven
July 4th, 2014, 03:09
Thanks. Good to know, JPG. I know you work hard at this stuff and we definitely appreciate everything you and everyone else puts into making this the best product of its kind.

If you are interested, I can give an account of what's working and what's needing extra effort or work-arounds as we test out the Lost Mine of Phandelver (I'll start a new thread, if so).

3.1 version? For early 3E D&D? Or something else?

We have a couple of Pathfinder Campaigns going right now in FG and it's pretty awesome. Curious as to what else you are developing.

Thanks again!
SR

Moon Wizard
July 4th, 2014, 03:16
Working on a 3.1 version of FG client that adds some features. Started some thoughts in Lab forum, but no test release yet.

Cheers,
JPG

Irondrake
July 4th, 2014, 06:05
I have an extension that updates Proficiency Bonus and critical damage. I haven't yet verified if these are still correct, the extension was from 5E Alpha. Someone posted it in these forums a little while back.

El Condoro
July 4th, 2014, 08:16
Critical damage has changed in Basic - it's now 2 x damage roll + bonuses. e.g. normal 2d4 + 4 is now 4d4 + 4.

IMO that's a backward step; that example could yield 8 points of damage, potentially. In the old system it would yield 13 minimum.

Moon Wizard
July 4th, 2014, 08:19
Also, bonus dice are possibly doubled too, just not bonuses. (sneak attack specifically mentioned, but not sure on flaming/frost type weapons or other dice bonuses)

Talked to Zeus, and they don't receive their orders until August 3; so probably no Par5E update until a bit after that.

Regards,
JPG

ShadeRaven
July 4th, 2014, 08:29
Ah, excellent! 3.1. Duh! :P

Couple of early things as I get the characters in:
1) Proficiency bonus is off. Almost think that being editable would be good, but if you can tweak it to be set, that's great, too.
2) I also think it would be good to have the associated ability score for each skill field be locked when not in edit mode, so a simple mis-click doesn't change Acrobatics from DEX to CON.
3) Range field for weapons designated as thrown or ranged would be useful, too.4)
4) A simple Text Box for Feats, Features, Traits, and even Proficiencies would be nice to put in the descriptive text for what each does.

Trying to keep to simple stuff early on for quicker fixes, hopefully. Most/all this might be already on the hit list or known, but just in case, I thought I'd throw out some simple start suggestions that'll make early testing a bit easier. I am sure there's a lot of work to do in the Powers Section, so won't worry about that until you have what you are planning set before us and needing testing. One thing I'd love to see (when you get there) is the ability to drag and drop powers from one character to another to replicate it.

Putting in skills and descriptions was a bit of a toil because the PDF wasn't cut-n-paste capable. All in, making putting in the rest of the character easy, but I still have other pre-gens to do. I'll add more notations as I go. Hope you don't mind the input.

Thanks, as always,
SR

hawkwind
July 4th, 2014, 11:58
I can copy and paste from my Basic PDF ok?

Irondrake
July 4th, 2014, 14:13
It looks like all damage dice would be rolled again, but modifiers are only added once. It states that if an attack involves other damage dice, such as a rogue's Sneak Attack, those dice are rolled twice as well. So, sneak attack, divine strike, etc. could do some serious damage in a well-placed hit.

Zeus
July 4th, 2014, 17:35
Sadly, as JPG has said, I won't be getting my Starter Set until August 3rd (Amazon expected release date for the UK). If by some miracle I am able to acquire a copy earlier I will of course be looking to update PAR5E as soon as possible.

In there interim - I will be reviewing the Basic D&D PDF over the course of this following week (time allowing) and if necessary will make any adjustments on the parsing side to the tool. BTW if anyone has got a Starter Set and doesn't mind providing me with a (sanatised/redacted) version of the new Spell and NPC Stat Blocks, I can begin working on adapting a new version as soon as possible. Of course I will have to rely on those with Starter Set's to test for me :)

Finally, I posted up the latest source for PAR5E over at https://github.com/drzeuss/PAR5E if anyone fancies expanding the support for 5E data or other rulesets.

Irondrake
July 4th, 2014, 20:15
Spells are in Basic D&D PDF. What sort of information do you need from the NPC stat blocks? I'd be happy to help out in whatever way I can. Here's some creatures that were posted at EnWorld:

https://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62379&d=1403768988
https://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62400&d=1403859185

Irondrake
July 4th, 2014, 20:31
Changes that need to be made that I've seen so far (and of course, these are just suggestions!):

Proficiency Bonus update
Add all skills to characters automatically (I think this makes sense since we're already using the star to denote which skills have proficiency and which do not)
Add support for Inspiration, really just a spot to track it.
Add passive Perception
Change critical damage
Allow PC Health to go below 0 (for tracking negative HP, death at -Max HP) but still make Death Saves at 0 or lower automatically...does it already do this? I was pretty sure damage stayed at 0.
Add places for Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws (in notes maybe?)

So far that's all I noticed off the top of my head without touching NPCs.

Zeus
July 4th, 2014, 21:00
Thanks Irondrake, JPG also pointed out the available NPC stat blocks from the WotC published excerpts, cheers again. They look quite nice (I think I like them), there appears to be a couple of minor changes in the syntax e.g. the 4E style Encounter Levels have disappeared in favour of 3.5E style Challenge Ratings. NPCs can have spells etc. No major biggies from a parsing point of view. Hopefully a couple hours work to patch and test.

As for the proposed ruleset changes, JPG is currently finishing up some new dice rolling features but I am sure we'll both target updates for 5E as soon as possible (I'm just waiting for my Starter Set to arrive). We both have 5E campaigns planned which will need a fully working ruleset so it will definitely be high up there on the agenda list.

Proficiency Bonus update
Add all skills to characters automatically (I think this makes sense since we're already using the star to denote which skills have proficiency and which do not)
Add support for Inspiration, really just a spot to track it.
Add passive Perception
Change critical damage
Allow PC Health to go below 0 (for tracking negative HP, death at -Max HP) but still make Death Saves at 0 or lower automatically...does it already do this? I was pretty sure damage stayed at 0.
Add places for Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws (in notes maybe?)

The Charactersheet should execute a wizard when you drop Race, Class and Backgrounds from PAR5E generated modules onto 5E ruleset characters. The selection of skills, traits, abilities and features are all made through this wizard and tied to the text descriptions of the Content. For example in the play test material each Class had recommended skills, backgrounds etc. The wizard is still more than likely tuned for the play test material. As soon as I am able to I will revisit with JPG to update the wizard in line with the character creation rules published in the Basic D&D PDF.

El Condoro
July 4th, 2014, 23:59
I am really looking forward to the release of the 5E parser and ruleset - I get the feeling from the D&D forums and here that 5E will be popular - perhaps bringing D&D back from the brink? :)

One thing I noticed on the 5E FG character sheet is there is no tracking of death saves (3 successes, 3 failures).

Cheers

Irondrake
July 5th, 2014, 01:12
It does it automatically at the end of someone's turn in the combat tracker though.

El Condoro
July 5th, 2014, 01:50
Yes, it does, but it was in the 4E sheet and was very useful for keeping track.

Moon Wizard
July 5th, 2014, 03:24
Well, originally, there were only death save failures to track, not successes also. So, when hit points reached zero , I used -1, -2 and -3 to track dear save failures, with death at 3 failures. This is one of the things that will be updated, since the rules changed a fair amount on this item.

Cheers,
JPG

chillybilly
July 5th, 2014, 13:47
You guys are awesome to do all this. Please understand how much it is appreciated by [those of] us who don't have the skill/expertise to do this on our own.

viresanimi
July 5th, 2014, 14:37
Well said chillybilly and very true.

Irondrake
July 5th, 2014, 15:34
That's the truth!

Irondrake
July 6th, 2014, 20:25
Ok, looks like there's a monster that is resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons. The resist effects show up, but how do you set it up so that if they are hit by a magical weapon, it ignores the effect? I tried adding the "magic" property to a weapon, but that didn't make any difference.

Eru the One
July 6th, 2014, 21:58
I added "RESIST: slashing; VULN: magic" and tried to attack with a "slashing, magic" sword and that seemed to take slashing resist, then add magic vulnerability so the damage looked correct. I'm sure we'll need to test more as the monsters are released.

Irondrake
July 7th, 2014, 03:34
Hmm...that's something worth trying.

Irondrake
July 7th, 2014, 03:58
For some reason, Silver vulnerability isn't parsing automatically from the creature description. Its listed as a damage type in the wiki.

El Condoro
July 7th, 2014, 04:09
When I parse this:
Damage Resistance: The wererat is resistant to nonmagical weapons except those made of silver.

I get this:
RESIST:nonmagic-silver;RESIST:silver

Except it doesn't work - when a non-magical, non-silver weapon attack is made the damage is still normal.

Moon Wizard
July 8th, 2014, 23:31
I don't think compound resistance checks are supported right now (i.e. RESIST unless nonmagic or silver), but resistances will be something we're looking at as we refine 5E with the basic rules changes.

Regards,
JPG

ShadeRaven
July 9th, 2014, 06:22
Love all the work you put into this as usual, and appreciate the fact that you make this all possible (collectively, including many of the good folk here on the forums).

If you don't mind another suggestion or two:
Please use the right-side tabs for the different character display boxes (IE: In other versions, you might have Main, Skills, Abilities, Inventory, Combat, etc., down the right side, and depending on which you select, that page becomes the forward-active one). I have players who do not have a lot of screen display space, and trying to keep multiple windows available is much for difficult for them than the versions where you simple had one mini-sheet with all the appropriate entries reachable with a single click.

Also... would love to have a "Character Lock" like we see with creatures. Accidentally hitting the proficiency star, the weapon type icon (melee, thrown, ranged), etc., has lead to a few character sheet alterations that were unintended.

Thank you as always!
SR

El Condoro
July 9th, 2014, 07:24
+1 for the single, tabbed character sheet. Also a big +1 on the effort that is being put into the ruleset - very much appreciated.

Irondrake
July 12th, 2014, 14:35
I just added the Tiefling race to my Basic D&D PHB module. Here's a link to both pages from a WotC Teaser of the PHB that has the full racial details: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1748-It-s-a-Tiefling-from-the-5E-Player-s-Handbook!#.U8E5MfmIAhU

Zeus
July 15th, 2014, 22:36
I just added the Tiefling race to my Basic D&D PHB module. Here's a link to both pages from a WotC Teaser of the PHB that has the full racial details: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1748-It-s-a-Tiefling-from-the-5E-Player-s-Handbook!#.U8E5MfmIAhU

Nice. I'll go have a look.

I've just finished up the first pass update to PAR5E to support Basic Rules and Starter Set (NPC) content. Phew a lot of changes and if I do say so myself its looking pretty tidy. Just working with JPG to update the 5E ruleset and re-work character sheets and NPCs, the former is looking really really good btw :). Hopefully this will work out to be the best featured D&D ruleset yet.

Irondrake
July 16th, 2014, 01:59
So far I have to say this is my favorite version of D&D since 2nd Edition (which was my all time favorite). I'm glad I'm coming into it from the start this go around, from the early playtests all the way through to launch.

AKABigBlack
July 21st, 2014, 22:18
hey all,

i tweeted Mike Mearls...

Griogre
July 22nd, 2014, 21:39
Hmm, at least it was a no news instead of a no.