PDA

View Full Version : Legal?

DoomsDayPanda
July 3rd, 2014, 15:47
I'm just wondering when it comes to making a PC, what's considered legal race/class wise for the most part? I use PC gen for rolling and the resources I usee are th "Pathfinder society" moduel which hass 3 bestiariys, APG, UC, UM,and th equipment stuff and dungoneers hadnbook, all paizo.

I'm confused though, can I use the other paizo books as well like inner sea magic and blood of fiends? Are Psionics fair game? Why do people hate guns/ninjas/monks/samurai. Thanks in advance!

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2014, 16:59
I'm just wondering when it comes to making a PC, what's considered legal race/class wise for the most part? I use PC gen for rolling and the resources I usee are th "Pathfinder society" moduel which hass 3 bestiariys, APG, UC, UM,and th equipment stuff and dungoneers hadnbook, all paizo.

I'm confused though, can I use the other paizo books as well like inner sea magic and blood of fiends? Are Psionics fair game? Why do people hate guns/ninjas/monks/samurai. Thanks in advance!
Are you talking about Pathfinder Society specifically? That is for the Paizo global organized play campaign? If so, there are quite specific restrictions detailed in the guide to organized play: http://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4

If you aren't playing Pathfinder Society, but a home game, then the restrictions will be entirely up to your GM.

DoomsDayPanda
July 3rd, 2014, 17:11
honestly...I'm not entirely sure of the difference, but I've mainly only played with a group of friends who play pathfinder 3.5, and the characters I make would likely be for whichever version of pathfinder I can find games for? Sorry for the for the general noobiness of my questions.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2014, 17:18
honestly...I'm not entirely sure of the difference, but I've mainly only played with a group of friends who play pathfinder 3.5, and the characters I make would likely be for whichever version of pathfinder I can find games for? Sorry for the for the general noobiness of my questions.
Pathfinder Society is a globally organized campaign, with lots of one-shot games where players and GMs can be different from one game to the next. It's not for everyone, but it can be a way of gaming if you can't commit to a schedule, more info here: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17510-Introduction-to-Pathfinder-Society-%28Players%29 It has clear rules as to what you can and can't play as a PC.

If you're not taking part in a Pathfinder Society game, the requirements for your PC would be set by the GM who is running your campaign. If you want to play around creating characters then I'd stick to the races and classes from the Core rulebook and the Advanced Player's guide.

Some players/GMs don't like gunslingers as they feel it is not part of the fantasy genre or feel that they can be overpowered in certain situations. Monks can be overpowering as well in certain builds, so GMs may not allow certain types of builds (the Zen Archer, for example). I'm not aware of any specific dislike for ninjas or samurai - other than them not fitting into some campaign backgrounds.

DoomsDayPanda
July 3rd, 2014, 17:40
Ahh thanks for all the info! I don't think society is for me since I like to focus on a character with an actual history/backstory and continuing adventures.

I've always found the strictly swords and sorcery settings to be the most boring, knights are cool and what not but I like my fantasy with a heavy dose of inspiration from multiple cultures and even a bit of science, hopefully I find some steampunk games!