PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster campaign setting?

Shadou
July 3rd, 2014, 00:08
I'm a new player, but have thus far been unable to find an open spot in a group that fits my schedule. So I am currently trying to pull together the resources I would need to DM a campaign myself. I like the rolemaster system, but so far I haven't been able to find any campaign setting resources for it for FG. Can anyone suggest any campaign setting books (preferred) or full adventures that either work well in or can easily be converted to the RMC system? PDF format would be ideal, but I have the ability to scan in physical resources if only physical copies can be obtained. I just need a good idea what to look for.

OTG_Wraith
July 3rd, 2014, 02:00
Well the two most obvious would be Shadow World and Middle Earth. Both were statted by ICE and are huge, rich worlds to explore.

There is also Cyradon also made by ICE with all the stats included, but is not as well supported or fleshed out simply due to it being a younger setting, however that also gives you more room to build your own.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2014, 03:09
I have an open spot in my Rolemaster (RMFRP) game Tuesday evening (7:00pm US/Central), if that works with your schedule.

Shadou
July 3rd, 2014, 03:27
That's perfect, actually. Is it on the game calendar? Or PM me the details?

Ardem
July 3rd, 2014, 05:59
Andraax are you using the RMFRP extension if so how are you finding it?

Andraax
July 3rd, 2014, 12:41
Yes, I'm using the RMFRP extension. It's mostly OK, but you have to tweak it a bit. Biggest thing I don't like is that it makes the Spells tab pretty useless (I guess if someone takes the time to enter the spell tables for RMFRP it will become useful again ;-) ).

Shadou
July 3rd, 2014, 22:15
OK, I've looked around for the answer to this question, but there doesn't seem to be a lexicon of FG terms for newbies anywhere. What does FRP stand for in this context?

Andraax
July 3rd, 2014, 22:40
RMFRP = Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing. It's a (slight) modification of the Rolemaster Standard System (RMSS), and the latest set of rules from Iron Crown. Here is a comparison of Rolemaster Classic (RMC) and RMFRP (https://ironcrown.com/rolemaster/rolemaster-past/).

Shadou
July 3rd, 2014, 22:54
If it makes part of the in-game resources useless, and thus requires you to have access to the books, then I may not be able to join in. I'm not particularly familiar with the system, so I would be depending on what's available within the ruleset, and if the extension is incomplete then I'll be SOL.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2014, 23:02
Well, it's only the spell lists that are incomplete. If you don't play a spell caster, there is no issue. Even if you do play a spell caster, then we can work around it - provide you with just the info for your spell lists or something.

Dakadin
July 3rd, 2014, 23:44
Adding a Spell List module is fairly easy to do if you are comfortable with XML. I've attached a ZIP file that has 2 spell lists to level 5 that I'm using for an Arcist in my current campaign. Open up the client.xml file and add your spell lists. Rename the .zip file to .mod and put it in the modules directory to use it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Andraax
July 4th, 2014, 00:34
Thanks. Looks like I have some work ahead of me this week... :-)

Ardem
July 4th, 2014, 03:02
@Andraax: Legally I am not allowed to hand that list out. <smile> But Dakadin given you the tools to do it.

@Shadou: As for FRP v RMC there is not that many change you can quite comfortable use the standard inbuilt game rules to play. I would definitely give the game a shot and not give up too easily. It like the different between D&D 3.5 and pathfinder some eminor changes but the basics are much the same. If there is a rolemaster game in your time slot I would not pass it up they can be like hens teeth, I am sure Andraax will be patient enough to help you through any learning curve.

Whatever@#
July 23rd, 2015, 20:38
I'm not a GM but when I bought the "Shadow world box set" it was a fantastic world setting but seemed to add all kinds of different elements (from stone age, to new to RM magic, to space age ) and may not fit with some GM's gaming world. I never got to actually play it as both of my group's GM's used their own game worlds.

Rolemaster does have a set of rules to covert D&D monsters and magical items ( in it's core books) to a Rolemaster setting. If any of the FG modules have done this for RMSS or RMC in FG you would be able to use any D&D setting for your RM campaign. Though that was before 5E. But I think Feats would be the main difference there and not affect a RM conversion.

I'm a total noob on FG so I don't know if anyone has done this. But it would be a brilliant idea as it might get some of the D&D fans to be able to play some RM games. Also it would make new GM's worlds a lot easier as all they would have to do is buy the module/campaign for FG and it would automatically convert this to RMSS/RMFRP or RM Classic rules (if that is what you wanted to use). Probably HARP also. From what I saw of FG, it would be a conversion chart and FG would do the rest?

I hope someone does it as I love RM's crits and spells. But I feel D&D has a nicer game setting and magical item rewards. RM's modules also seem to give ideas and try to encourage GM's to make their own games. While D&D will sell GM's fully done modules or campaigns.

Also I'm new to FG and I'm looking for a RM group. Preferably a RMSS group. Classic should be fine. I would probably need a pre-made character as RM character creation can be rough and learning it on FG might be really tough. I usually play a Healer or whatever the group needs and no one wants to play.

I'm U.S. , East Coast pretty flexible schedule, looking for something regular. Prefer no demons in my games. If your interested please send me a message.

Good gaming all.

Whatever@#
December 13th, 2018, 22:54
RMSS had rulesets to convert D20 things to Rolemaster and the other way around. I am guessing RMC had similar conversions.

I had hoped FG did that so I could play in Rolemaster Standard system games that were running classic D&D campaigns. I hoped FG would of used those rules to automatically do the math/conversion in the background. Of course I would use RM spells, crits and combat. Just converting magic items and NPC's to fit in Rolemaster.

Does FG not do that? Too bad as I would love to play classic D&D adventures with RM combat, and hoped FG would do that. As d20 conversion is part of the Rolemaster ruleset. I hoped that was part of the FG Rolemaster package.

Stuart
December 14th, 2018, 22:37
I've run 3 or 4 of ICE's RMC Middle-earth module with Cubicle 7's 5E setting using FG. They kinda work but RMC works really nice.

Dakadin
December 15th, 2018, 02:12
RMSS had rulesets to convert D20 things to Rolemaster and the other way around. I am guessing RMC had similar conversions.

I had hoped FG did that so I could play in Rolemaster Standard system games that were running classic D&D campaigns. I hoped FG would of used those rules to automatically do the math/conversion in the background. Of course I would use RM spells, crits and combat. Just converting magic items and NPC's to fit in Rolemaster.

Does FG not do that? Too bad as I would love to play classic D&D adventures with RM combat, and hoped FG would do that. As d20 conversion is part of the Rolemaster ruleset. I hoped that was part of the FG Rolemaster package.

Your better off just picking a RMC creature or item that matches what is in the adventure than trying to do a conversion process. Just realize that the difficulty of some creatures is different in D&D and RMC so you might need to swap a few out at times.

Whatever@#
December 15th, 2018, 15:02
Your better off just picking a RMC creature or item that matches what is in the adventure than trying to do a conversion process. Just realize that the difficulty of some creatures is different in D&D and RMC so you might need to swap a few out at times.

Yeah I was thinking about how undead in RM just suck the life out of the living, affecting one of their stats permanently. Which tended to make undead fights a higher level thing in our campaigns. Especially since my GM's world didn't have churches and clerics everywhere, so you couldn't just run and get the "essence (whatever is removed in game terms)" easily fixed. Clerics in RM have a spell to heal this, though I think it's kind of mid level. So that would certainly be a case you would have to make some tweaks with the monsters or the way you handle the encounter.

Whatever@#
December 15th, 2018, 15:21
I've run 3 or 4 of ICE's RMC Middle-earth module with Cubicle 7's 5E setting using FG. They kinda work but RMC works really nice.

Glad to see others have tried it and it can work. Once I played RM I tried to play in some D&D groups. When I lived in California, I have to say they have a role players paradise. I literally put up a sign trying to get a group in 2 (of the many) game shops that hosted games, and ended up with 8 groups. I mean 8 groups with 6 players each and 8 GM's. Obviously I could only play in one of them, but that one flyer created 8 groups! And even though I only played I one group, I saw the other groups at the shop, and we would talk, as they know I was the one who put up the message to start their groups and we talked as they helped me put groups together. Now, I'm back on the east coast, and it's almost impossible to get a group these days. I love D&D's settings and modules, really great stuff. Sadly though, once I experienced RM's combat, crits ,extensive spell list, and the ability to adjust your characters skills, etc but still balanced based off of your original class, I just love RM.

I just imagine if you take the rich world and settings of D&D and mix them with RM that it would be an even better experience. I guess most RM gm's are so experienced and already have multiple settings and worlds set up, it's just easier for them to run those. As it's obvious the love and care they put into their worlds and stories, even if we as players don't often show or tell them how much we appreciate it. Especially when were arguing rules and small things :) So for all of us players, who seem to argue your rules to much, or don't seem to show enough appreciation at times. I thank all of your hard working GM's. It is very hard to be a good GM, forget a great one.

Dakadin
December 15th, 2018, 18:02
Yeah I was thinking about how undead in RM just suck the life out of the living, affecting one of their stats permanently. Which tended to make undead fights a higher level thing in our campaigns. Especially since my GM's world didn't have churches and clerics everywhere, so you couldn't just run and get the "essence (whatever is removed in game terms)" easily fixed. Clerics in RM have a spell to heal this, though I think it's kind of mid level. So that would certainly be a case you would have to make some tweaks with the monsters or the way you handle the encounter.

Yes, the life drain is tough. If I remember correctly it will heal naturally but takes a week per point of Constitution.

Majyk
December 16th, 2018, 11:01
I just imagine if you take the rich world and settings of D&D and mix them with RM that it would be an even better experience. I guess most RM gm's are so experienced and already have multiple settings and worlds set up, it's just easier for them to run those. As it's obvious the love and care they put into their worlds and stories, even if we as players don't often show or tell them how much we appreciate it. Especially when were arguing rules and small things :) So for all of us players, who seem to argue your rules to much, or don't seem to show enough appreciation at times. I thank all of your hard working GM's. It is very hard to be a good GM, forget a great one.

It’s a thing, man.
For years - hell, decades - I was converting modules from T$R’s Dungeon Magazine. It doesn’t take much to do at all since you rarely need anything more than HPs/PPs/AT(DB)/OB/RRs and the odd skill/spell they’ll use vs fully fleshed out NPCs.
I shared my Undermountain work I still had on graph pad paper all this time later with Ardem when he also had our online RM group run through Undermountain in his Echoes of Heaven campaign - not that he needed it, but I laughed when I found it in my RM Altar in the gaming room.

After that, I was converting full on boxed sets like Undermountain, etc. In fact, our last RM session ended with a room cursing PCs with Sleep and only a single Dwarf in the party with the BG Option 3x RR mod “Unbeliever” resisting, and all alone...@16th-17th ish lvl or so.
I stole from Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, and later KoK(Kingdoms of Kalamar).
Pre-converting all NPCs ahead of time is key so you just mark the room number in the corner of each entry and can run your finger down the list any time you need to switch from reading out the module and getting into combat!

Get on it and g’luck!

GavinRuneblade
December 16th, 2018, 17:39
It’s a thing, man.
For years - hell, decades - I was converting modules from T$R’s Dungeon Magazine. It doesn’t take much to do at all since you rarely need anything more than HPs/PPs/AT(DB)/OB/RRs and the odd skill/spell they’ll use vs fully fleshed out NPCs.
I shared my Undermountain work I still had on graph pad paper all this time later with Ardem when he also had our online RM group run through Undermountain in his Echoes of Heaven campaign - not that he needed it, but I laughed when I found it in my RM Altar in the gaming room.

After that, I was converting full on boxed sets like Undermountain, etc. In fact, our last RM session ended with a room cursing PCs with Sleep and only a single Dwarf in the party with the BG Option 3x RR mod “Unbeliever” resisting, and all alone...@16th-17th ish lvl or so.
I stole from Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, and later KoK(Kingdoms of Kalamar).
Pre-converting all NPCs ahead of time is key so you just mark the room number in the corner of each entry and can run your finger down the list any time you need to switch from reading out the module and getting into combat!

Get on it and g’luck!

Monte Cook's Dark Space (https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Space-Clutches-Vlathachna-Rolemaster/dp/1558061401) expansion really gave me the best ideas for how to convert things to Rolemaster. The way it handled traditional Call of Cthulhu horror and straight Traveller-style sci-fi seamlessly into the pure fantasy ruleset gave me the courage to basically grab anything from anywhere and stick it in my games. And it was a good model for mechanics.

Even though it is aimed at horror, but Ken Hite's Nightmares of Mine (https://www.amazon.com/Nightmares-Mine-Rolemaster-Standard-System/dp/1558063676/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544981680&sr=1-11) gives all the advice you'll ever need for making things work with your story. It is totally independent of mechanics so I still use my copy today as advice for every campaign I run in every game system. I think it is the most used rulebook I own. Guidelines on pacing, tempo, emotion, what sensory information to narrate, this stuff never stops being relevant to a GM.

JohnD
December 16th, 2018, 19:15
Keep in mind, if you are converting classed NPCs, there is a generic NPC list with a lot already pre-populated. I forget what table number it is, but there's L1, L3, L5 etc... generic number examples you can drag/drop a new NPC from and then flesh out / modify as you need from there... saved me a lot of time before I moved on to a different ruleset IIRC.