PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find characters for BRP

Fizban
June 28th, 2014, 22:20
Hi Forum,

Not sure if this has happened before, but I cannot find any characters from my BRP campaign. The characters folder has plenty of other characters, from games older than my current campaign too so the folder didn't get deleted. The character files aren't in my recycle bin and again there are files older than my current campaign in the RB so that hasn't been emptied either. I have even tried recovering deleted files from my hard drive and although there's a whole bunch of stuff I deleted once upon a time there is still no evidence of those characters. It is like they never existed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: Also for some reason I cannot see anything in my library. There is no function to manipulate modules like there once was.

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2014, 22:41
BRP is older ruleset, and the Module Activation window is accessible via a separate book button in the upper right of the desktop.

The characters folder is only used to store information for characters created for a specific ruleset using Manage Characters mode. If you were hosting a campaign, any characters are stored in that campaign's folder. If you were a player in a campaign, they would be embedded in the cache, and viewable via selecting the specific campaign in Manage Characters mode.

Regards,
JPG

Fizban
June 28th, 2014, 23:32
Didn't work. No evidence in cache folder for players, or anything in the campaign folder.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 00:09
Didn't work. No evidence in cache folder for players, or anything in the campaign folder.
As M_W says above, characters are not stored in specific files - they are stored in three places

the campaign database (db.xml - access the characters through PCs -> Character List when the specific campaign is loaded in FG)
the players campaign cache (stored in campaign.dat on the players side for each campaign they have played in, which is encrypted: access the characters through "Manage Characters" and select the campaign from the list at the bottom of the screen)
generic "Manage Characters" for a specific ruleset (for BRP this is stored as Basic Roleplaying.xml in the "characters" directory).

Fizban
June 29th, 2014, 00:43
ok, so in an attempt to find our old characters I backed up the new campaign folder and restored an old one (3.0.4) and it showed up as CoreRPG. Seeing it as a version error I simply deleted it, then restored the backed up folder and tried to load it. The restored campaign the also showed up as CoreRPG. Any Ideas?

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 01:11
ok, so in an attempt to find our old characters I backed up the new campaign folder and restored an old one (3.0.4) and it showed up as CoreRPG. Seeing it as a version error I simply deleted it, then restored the backed up folder and tried to load it. The restored campaign the also showed up as CoreRPG. Any Ideas?
A campaign (in <FG App Data>\campaigns) will show as a specific ruleset based off the <ruleset> tag in the campaign.xml file within the campaign directory.

If the GM is seeing a campaign listed with a ruleset of CoreRPG then it means that is what the <ruleset> tag is indicating in the campaign.xm file for that campaign.

When you're deleting a restoring campaigns are you deleting/restoring the whole directory?

Fizban
June 29th, 2014, 19:56
I am deleting, restoring, and backing up the folder with the campaign name. Inside the Campaigns folder.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 19:59
I am deleting, restoring, and backing up the folder with the campaign name. Inside the Campaigns folder.
Then I don't understand how a campaign is showing as using the CoreRPG ruleset, other than it was originally using the CoreRPG ruleset.