PDA

View Full Version : Can I purchase a ruleset for my GM, or must it be associated with his account?

Malleable
June 28th, 2014, 21:19
So I was recently introduced to FG. I don't know much about it yet, but I see that Rolemaster is purchasable ruleset, and really like the system. He purchased the Ultimate bundle, but since it doesnt include the Rolemaster ruleset I wanted to buy it for my GM.

Can I purchase a ruleset for my GM, or must it be associated with his account?

And I am a bit confused about what it takes for players to join his game.
If he has the Ultimate bundle, can anyone join into his session using the Demo version. Or must each player purchase the FG system?

Thanks,
Mal

JohnD
June 28th, 2014, 22:14
Did you buy via Steam? IIRC you can "gift" a purchase to someone on there.

Otherwise if you contact the Smiteworks guys ( your email is a solid start ;) ) they might be able to manage something for you if you know your GM's id.

EDIT: solid choice on the Rolemaster ruleset... it's implementation (and the quality of it) is what first solid me on buying FG).

Malleable
June 28th, 2014, 22:26
Cool, thanks John. I'll check with my GM to see how he purchased it.

Haven't played RM for years, and would love to get back to it. Are Harp and RM Classic are the same system as far as FG goes? It seems like it from the store.

Mal

Griogre
June 28th, 2014, 23:06
Even if he did not purchase FG on Steam he can associate easily associate FG with a steam account and then you can gift him if you wish.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 00:21
If he has the Ultimate bundle, can anyone join into his session using the Demo version. Or must each player purchase the FG system?
Anyone can join the game with any version of Fantasy Grounds (demo, lite, full or ultimate). This is the only difference between the Ultimate and Full versions of Fantasy Grounds.

damned
June 29th, 2014, 05:46
but since it doesnt include the Rolemaster ruleset I wanted to buy it for my GM.

I like this guy :)

Some Steam products have an Ultimate version that includes all the DLC - the Fantasy Grounds Ultimate version has no additional DLC but does allow *anyone* with *any* license including demo to join and play.

wraith808
June 30th, 2014, 17:09
Even if he did not purchase FG on Steam he can associate easily associate FG with a steam account and then you can gift him if you wish.

How do you do this? I looked all around for the hows of associating FG with steam, and it doesn't seem to work (I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong). I put in my registration code, but it doesn't recognize my DLC on Steam.

Thanks!

Trenloe
June 30th, 2014, 17:12
How do you do this? I looked all around for the hows of associating FG with steam, and it doesn't seem to work (I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong). I put in my registration code, but it doesn't recognize my DLC on Steam.
You purchases from the FG website will not show up on the Steam website.

However, when you do an update of Fantasy grounds (started through Steam or with the usual FG shortcut) it will check for both content bought from the FG website (you need to enter your FG username and password in the "Settings" screen on the first page) and Steam DLC content (if you select "Check Steam for DLC" on the setting page).

wraith808
June 30th, 2014, 17:28
You purchases from the FG website will not show up on the Steam website.

However, when you do an update of Fantasy grounds (started through Steam or with the usual FG shortcut) it will check for both content bought from the FG website (you need to enter your FG username and password in the "Settings" screen on the first page) and Steam DLC content (if you select "Check Steam for DLC" on the setting page).

I bought it on Steam... but installed it from the site. I entered my License Key- all's well with that. But it doesn't see my DLC on Steam. Is there something special I need to do?

UPDATE: Nevermind; I guess it was because I didn't have an account here? Because once I verified my account here, it started working.

Thanks!

Trenloe
June 30th, 2014, 17:30
I bought it on Steam... but installed it from the site. I entered my License Key- all's well with that. But it doesn't see my DLC on Steam. Is there something special I need to do?
When you say "DLC on Steam" is that DLC you bought on Steam or products you purchased on the Fantasy Grounds website?

As mentioned in my post above, you will not see products you purchased on another website showing up in your Steam account on the Steam website. But, if you follow my instructions in post #8 above you can download and update products bought on Steam and the FG wesbite to your FG installation for immediate use.

damned
July 1st, 2014, 01:17
When you say "DLC on Steam" is that DLC you bought on Steam or products you purchased on the Fantasy Grounds website?

As mentioned in my post above, you will not see products you purchased on another website showing up in your Steam account on the Steam website. But, if you follow my instructions in post #8 above you can download and update products bought on Steam and the FG wesbite to your FG installation for immediate use.

Actually you can see stuff you bought here on Steam as SW have uploaded the current user keys to Steam...

Trenloe
July 1st, 2014, 01:36
Actually you can see stuff you bought here on Steam as SW have uploaded the current user keys to Steam...
That is only for your base Fantasy Grounds product - and you have to manually link your license key to Steam. Any additional rulesets, scenarios, etc. will not be shown in your account on Steam. For example, if you bought the Castles & Crusades ruleset on the Fantasy Grounds website, and you log into your account on the Steam website you will not see that you have purchased the Castles & Crusades ruleset DLC - because you didn't purchase it on Steam.

wraith808
July 1st, 2014, 01:37
As I said, it's good now. Once I created and authorized my account here, it automatically picked up the steam purchases. Thanks!