PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker and Encounters

Irondrake
June 28th, 2014, 02:19
I don't remember if I've asked this before, but its become of interest to me once again. In the creature stat blocks each creature has a set amount of Hit Points and a Hit Dice amount. Is there a way to set it to roll for hit points as creature's are added to the Combat Tracker, either from an Encounter or directly? Basically I want to set up an encounter with a group of creatures and have it automatically set them up with variable hit points. If its not currently possible, could it be done by an extension? Maybe a hook into whatever function calls the monsters on Encounter Add to Tracker?

Hobgoblin
Medium humanoid (goblinoid), lawful evil
Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
Hit Points 11 (2d8 + 2) <-------------
Speed 30 ft.
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
13 (+1) 12 (+1) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 9 (-1)
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge ½ (100 XP)
Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 7 (2d6) damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn’t incapacitated.
Actions
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.
Longbow. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 150 ft./600 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.
Hobgoblins are cunning, disciplined warriors who crave conquest. They impose a strict military hierarchy and are often found in the company of goblins and bugbears.

jshauber
June 28th, 2014, 03:36
Go to "OPTIONS" and under House Rules you can pick NPC health to be Standard (what is listed), Max or Random.

You want Random.

Eru the One
June 28th, 2014, 03:39
They have that option in 3.5/PF, moving that into CoreRPG+ would probably work for 5e :).

Trenloe
June 28th, 2014, 03:44
They have that option in 3.5/PF, moving that into CoreRPG+ would probably work for 5e :).
The problem is that any functionality that is system specific cannot be easily/reliably included in CoreRPG. NPCs in CoreRPG don't have HP or Hit Dice, so it can't be included there. Hence why the HP options are in the 3.5E ruleset as it is that ruleset that implements HP and Hit Dice.

jshauber
June 28th, 2014, 03:47
My bad, I thought that was universal across all rulesets...DOH!!!!

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2014, 04:15
Hit dice is pretty D&D specific. Definitely something I want to add into 5E as a house rule once we start revamping 5E with the upcoming book releases.

JPG

Irondrake
June 28th, 2014, 04:17
I was looking for the option, was about to say "I don't have that!" lol