PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary 4 - Group effort to put stats together for Creature Parser

redneckdevil
June 27th, 2014, 01:54
EDIT: The Bestiary 4 module is now available here: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21551-Pathfinder-Bestiary-4-OGL-Module

MODERATOR:

The posts below have been moved from another thread to one specific for this topic.

In order to produce a FG module for the Pathfinder Bestiary 4 OGL content I am putting out a call for community members to help out copy/pasting the text from the Bestiary 4 PDF into a text file. We are splitting the process up into letter portions (A-Z) to reduce the workload overall. I will then combine and run through the creature parser to produce a Bestiary 4 module that I will post in the modules thread on this forum for all to use and enjoy.

If interested community members would like to help out, reply to this thread with the letter/s section you would like to cover.

The following is a list of who is doing which section, with a status.

Letter Range
Who?
Status

A - C
Trenloe
Text file produced and tested.

D
hawkwind
text file completed, Trenloe testing

E - G
Trenloe
Text file produced and tested.

H - Z
hawkwind
Text file completed, Trenloe testing.

The final text file is attached below for future reference. This was the file used to parse the module.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

First off, tyvm for these. These have made my job soooooo much easier. Just tyvm.

I do have a question though, is there any future plans for doing the beastiary 4 by chance?

Trenloe
June 27th, 2014, 02:00
I do have a question though, is there any future plans for doing the beastiary 4 by chance?
It's on the drawing board... I'm in the middle of updating the Creature Parser (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version) to include more info (link Universal Monster Rules and Feat descriptions so the GM should have most of the info they need to run a creature within the NPC record) and then I use the parser to create the bestiary modules.

redneckdevil
June 27th, 2014, 02:25
Awesome, if u need any help i will definitly help out. I could go in and fill out the sheets myself for ya, dont know how id be able to send to ya though

Trenloe
June 27th, 2014, 02:40
Awesome, if u need any help i will definitly help out. I could go in and fill out the sheets myself for ya, dont know how id be able to send to ya though
The great thing with the creature parser is that once you have the creature statblock in a correct format in a text file you can just run the same text file through any later creature parsers to get the new functionality added in.

Current version of the creature parser is available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

Soooo, if you (or someone else) is willing to start putting the text statblocks together in a text file (copy/paste from the Bestiary 4 PDF) then that would make things much quicker. If more than one person wants to help then we could split the creatures up by letter.

An example of the format of the text file required by the parser is attached below.

I could then compile all of the various text files together and run it through the latest version of the creature parser to create the module. As I update the creature parser it will allow us to more quickly distribute new features into the modules.

redneckdevil
June 27th, 2014, 03:17
Ok, quick question. I dont have the pdf for the beastiary 4 but i do have the hardbound book. I had already started on ingame file using ingame stat sheets to create quite a few of them due to older modules actually use alot of these. Didnt know i continued to use that sheet ingame, if that would be able to be shared. Its funny how alot of the older modules and the 3.5/pathfinder ones use alot of those from the 4th one lol

hawkwind
June 27th, 2014, 15:29
here is M to P I'll do some more latter when I get a free moment

I have only tested the letter M in the parser. it worked ok apart from a few special abilities

redneckdevil
June 27th, 2014, 18:37
im working on a thru c atm

hawkwind
June 27th, 2014, 18:49
O - S plus the mod file

hawkwind
June 29th, 2014, 12:38
T to Z text and mod files

hawkwind
June 29th, 2014, 22:56
only one letter but its the letter D, note Trenloe check if I have done the dragons right

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 02:04
I'm really happy to contribute something to this. Thanx for reaching out. I'll start with ''E'' and update you see how it goes.

Edit: So from what I can see, all we really need to change after the copy paste is the monster's name and CR, who does not paste correctly ?

Trenloe
June 30th, 2014, 02:24
Edit: So from what I can see, all we really need to change after the copy paste is the monster's name and CR, who does not paste correctly ?
Usually something like that. Also look for spaces added where they aren't - this usually happens in titles, subtitles, etc..

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 02:25
So before doing hours of this i'd like to have a confirmation that it's fine.

Trenloe
June 30th, 2014, 02:31
So before doing hours of this i'd like to have a confirmation that it's fine.
Thanks so much for helping out with these. A few things to keep in mind:

Don't include the main title before the description, the title of the creature is taken from the line with the CR entry which is after the description.
Don't include the background data - stop after Special Abilities.
Look for incorrect characters introduced as part of the copy/paste operation - e.g. the Spell Like Abilities section of the "ELOHIM" have some strange formatting and characters.

Are you copying from the Paizo PDF? If so, which reader are you using? I use Adobe Reader and I don't see those strange characters appearing?

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 06:22
Yeah those characters are the last thing I need to arrange before going wild, then.

I use the Paizo pdf in adobe reader, just like you. The characters are correct in the document, but it's like the text recognition mess them when I copy. I wonder what would do that, since the text is already captured in the pdf anyways.

Edit: By opening the same PDF with my internet browser, there is no blur anymore. Onward !

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 07:29
Doing E-F-G. Will deliver in the following days. Quite the letters !

hawkwind
June 30th, 2014, 07:45
Nice to see some one else joining in. I haven't had any problems format wise as the core books tend to be better edited than some other pazio books.Unbutu are you running on a Linux box, that could be your issue
I'll do some more when I get home from work in about 12 hours

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 09:05
Nice to see some one else joining in. I haven't had any problems format wise as the core books tend to be better edited than some other pazio books.Unbutu are you running on a Linux box, that could be your issue
I'll do some more when I get home from doeskin in about 12 hours

The computer is a standard Windows computer, nothing special there. The PDF is not bought from Paizo (Should I erase this ? ) I own the hardcover, but had to download a not legit pdf to contribute.

-----
Suggestions if people have similar issues :

Had to search and replace some patterns. Most common things to look for:

11, 12, 13, 1x become 1 1, 1 2, 1 3

''g'' becomes ''!'' and ''j'' ex. genealogy becomes: jenealo!y

Thx to Audrey the secretary-gf for helping with this :)

hawkwind
June 30th, 2014, 09:18
that explains it totally, i thought with your user name you may be a linux user. the Pirate pdf's have had lots of funny things done to them to remove watermarks and as a result they have to be OCR'ed again, badly! The PDF is 10 dollars and it wil save you loads of time. I have the pdf but not the book though having cut and paste a few of monsters I have come to the conclusion that its not a bad collection so I have ordered a copy of amazon

Unbutu
June 30th, 2014, 10:52
Yeah, was shy to admit it's a torrent pdf... but on the other hand I won't pay twice for the same thing

edit: Well, similar thing on a different support.

hawkwind
June 30th, 2014, 12:55
well perhaps you shouldn't have admitted it, myself, I personally "killed Music" in the 80's with a box load of dodgy cassette tapes currently rotting in my cellar but others in these parts care greatly about IP rights and don't want any legal problems for Smiteworks. On a practical note you may find it quicker to find the monster on www.d20pfsrd.com and copy/paste it from there, less chance of typos slipping through. I notice the PRD on Paizo's site has yet to be updated with beastairy 4 critters

hawkwind
June 30th, 2014, 22:48
H to L text plus mod, there appears to be a problem with the very last critter a wereshark, Can't see what it is so I leave that for Trenloe to sort out

Trenloe
July 4th, 2014, 02:53
Hey redneckdevil and Unbutu - how are these coming along? Hawkwind has done the lion's share of this and we're just waiting on your sections to tart putting this together. If it's proving too difficult or you can't spare the time any more then just let us know - but please let us know. Thanks. :)

Unbutu
July 4th, 2014, 08:28
What I've done is not okay, or you missed it ? I've posted E to G 5 days ago. :)

hawkwind
July 4th, 2014, 09:08
just a-c outstanding as far as i see

Trenloe
July 5th, 2014, 06:22
The computer is a standard Windows computer, nothing special there. The PDF is not bought from Paizo (Should I erase this ? ) I own the hardcover, but had to download a not legit pdf to contribute.

-----
Suggestions if people have similar issues :

Had to search and replace some patterns. Most common things to look for:

11, 12, 13, 1x become 1 1, 1 2, 1 3

''g'' becomes ''!'' and ''j'' ex. genealogy becomes: jenealo!y

Thx to Audrey the secretary-gf for helping with this :)
There are still copy/paste issues in this - I'm guessing due to using a dodgy PDF, as these don't occur if I copy/paste from the Paizo PDF.

For example: Heinherji should be Einherji, and within this creature's statblock: fast healing s should be fast healing 5, Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1 0th; concentration +10) should be Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th; concentration +10) - and these are just the ones for this creature that are obvious.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and being willing to help out, but I'm afraid I don't have any trust in the source data being correct.

Trenloe
July 6th, 2014, 04:33
All text files have been produced now. I'm testing these and merging them together to make the complete bestiary 4 module.

Trenloe
July 6th, 2014, 06:45
And... here it is: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21551-Pathfinder-Bestiary-4-OGL-Module

:)

Myrddin
July 6th, 2014, 12:34
Thanks for putting this together Trenloe and hawkwind. Brilliant!

redneckdevil
July 7th, 2014, 20:15
i apologize for my absence. my motherboard and harddrive crashed on me and ive had to repair my pc so i was gone for a lil bit. im starting back from scratch

sigh now i see its already been done. great job everyone and i apologize again. im sorry

Trenloe
August 16th, 2014, 04:20
Bestiary 4 now available on the Paizo PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary4/monsterIndex.html

The new Technology Guide is on there also - to tie in with the new Paizo adventure path.

RTFallen
August 16th, 2014, 04:57
Nice. I like what they've done with the PRD as well.

Resire