PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting and the powers tab of the character sheet

gandhi39
June 26th, 2014, 20:00
First of all, congratulations for the great ruleset you have made, and thank you for giving us the opportunity to play 5e in FG. I prefer a character sheet with tabs (as seen on the 3.5 and 4e rulesets) but am very happy with what you've done anyway.

So here is my problem:

The latest playtest rules state that a 3rd level cleric:

a) Has three cantrips that are always prepared and can be used at will.

b) Has a total of 6 spell slots to spend (four level 1 slots + two level 2 slots).

c) Has two level 1 spells and two level 2 spells, taken from his divine domain spells list, that are always prepared.

d) Can prepare an additional total of four spells (from levels 1 through 2) from the cleric spells list.

The problem I face is that I can't make this work on the sheet provided by the 5e ruleset.

I'm not able to cast a spell prepared as a 1st level spell spending a 2nd level slot, unless I prepare it as a second level spell as well. And if I do the latter to keep that option for every prepared spell, my list of prepared spells gets bigger and bigger as I advance in levels.

My questions are:

Am I doing something wrong?
If not, are you guys planning to adress the issue?

Thank you for the attention.

Eru the One
June 26th, 2014, 21:05
My current work-a-round is creating a new power for each spell level (Level 1 spells, Level 2 Spells, in your example) and just having those prepared 4 and 2 respectively, checking off when I use a level 1, 2, etc spell. Also for spells that scale, I've been using trying to use effects to add the additional dice for higher level casting. I too would like things simpler, but I believe we'll have to wait for the starter set/core books to have an idea what the final ruleset will have to be modified to :).

Irondrake
June 27th, 2014, 00:34
It would almost be simpler to keep spell slots completely separate from the spell list. As you cast a spell, you determine the spell slot you want to use for that spell and it takes that slot out of the list of slots/day. Maybe with a link to always cast a spell using an assigned slot, for those spells that do not have the ability to be cast at anything but their prescribed level. The number of spells prepared will never equal the number of spell slots you have, especially for divine casters since you have bonus spells that can be prepared regardless of the number of slots you have. I've been doing something similar to Eru in my own campaigns for now. If a spell is cast at a higher level, modify the spell effect and cross off a higher level slot that's been expended...or have the PC prepare the spell in the higher level slot and adjust its dice there.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2014, 02:07
I'm waiting to see what the rules end up looking like. Right now , it doesn't make sense to spend too much time working out exact gameplay mechanics, when it is very likely to change in July and again in August.

I plan to start a 5E game with the starter set , so I'll be working on this very shortly after launch.

Also, the problem with "scaling" spells by spell slot is that you end up with a strange UI that requires 2 steps every time you make any spell roll, or you set up an instance if the spell for every level it can be used. Not sure how I will address that yet. One of those things where I "really" want to see final version before tackling.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2014, 02:10
Oh, and spell slots are separate from spells right now. They are just linked by group value.

You can always create ability groups (sword icon) to mimic any daily/encounter limit abilities/spells, without using the built-in spell handling.

Regards,
JPG

gandhi39
June 27th, 2014, 03:18
Keeping "prepared spells" in a group and "spell slots" on another may work fine.
I will also wait for the official rules anyway. Makes sense to me.