PDA

View Full Version : No dual monitor support! Really?

Luft
June 26th, 2014, 05:36
I just got a second monitor because trying to GM a game with just one monitor is nearly impossible. I must say that I am REALLY disappointed that FG is a MDI program.

Yeah, I can "stretch" the main window across two screens but it's hardly a perfect solution. Being a programmer myself I understand that changing FG from a MDI to non MDI program would require a ton of work but I am disappointed.

Just sayin'

cheechako
June 26th, 2014, 06:03
I run a wide-screen and a tall-screen, which is great for having PDFs handy. So, yeah, windows that are external of the main window would be great.

Trenloe
June 26th, 2014, 06:13
Add your vote: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=54190

cheechako
June 26th, 2014, 06:38
Was not aware - made a few votes there.

Unbutu
June 27th, 2014, 05:03
Even as a player I would like this. Can't imagine how cool it would be for a DM

edit: voted too

Griogre
June 27th, 2014, 19:08
While I'm not opposed to dual monitor support, I would have a hard time voting to spend development time on it. I've been running FG for more than 5 years with two monitors and I feel I'm pretty typical of most FG GMs. I know I would not use FG full screen even though I have two monitors.

This is because I routinely use 1 and 1/2 screens for FG with the other half of a screen holding a PDF, a browser or the VoIP program and I think that is a fairly typical use pattern. Full screen on multiple monitors is just not that good as soon as you want anything other than FG open - and for the GM that is going to be most of the time. One of FG's great strengths is its low data input requirements (when you use VoIP) and I think I am typical in that I only input maps, monsters and encounters for most adventures and have a word document or PDF open for the other adventure information.

I do think full screen mode works better for players, so an argument can be made on their behalf since they are less likely to want to have anything other than FG open. The player requirement for screen real estate is lower than that of a GM, though.

My two cents, take them for what they are worth. :p

seycyrus
June 27th, 2014, 19:45
How about the ability to take a window out of the FG window? Is that considered to be "dual monitor mode"? For example, once you expand the tokens bag, you could drag it out of the "normal" FG window. Like GIMP and other programs do with their toolbars.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2014, 20:23
I'm not personally a fan of the GIMP model, since I end up losing track of the GIMP windows among all the other windows I have open. Though, it does lend itself better for supporting dual monitors of different sizes. For monitors of roughly the same size, I find that the window stretching works great.

As Griogre mentioned, it's really a development cost vs. features gained situation. Please submit your vote on the wish list.

Regards,
JPG

cheechako
June 27th, 2014, 23:50
How about the ability to take a window out of the FG window?

The thread title is misleading - that is what is being asked for and voted upon.

I've been running FG for more than 5 years with two monitors and I feel I'm pretty typical of most FG GMs.... I routinely use 1 and 1/2 screens for FG with the other half of a screen holding a PDF, a browser or the VoIP program and I think that is a fairly typical use pattern.

I use one wide screen for FG and the other tall screen is all for PDFs and browsers and whatnot. I too believe that multiple monitors and reference material alongside Fantasy Grounds is common practice and recommend it. (I also recommend Display Fusion to those with multiple monitors - hot keys to jump windows around and other features.)

However, if (in theory) all of the content of a typical PDF is inside a FG module, then what is the benefit of having the PDF on the side? I could open Acrobat in half of one screen. Opening a FG story window there would offer me the same exact information along with all of the FG functionality: clicks, links, drag and drop, etc.

So, I think some might not care about this feature or not want you to invest time and money on it because they already have this feature: FG in one screen and Acrobat in another. Thus spending money on this feature might appeal to a few of us that want to drag the combat window off the map. Or, it might be a way to convince the GMs that rely on a PDF-on-the-side to buy more FG modules, and I assume that is a long-term goal of the company. You can't market having a PDF on the side, but spreading out FG windows even more is perhaps a marketable feature.

damned
June 28th, 2014, 00:13
its a feature that does appeal to some/many so they should vote it.
lime many other gms i have other data sources open so i keep my fg to one screen and everything else to another.
as to gimp mode... hate it. i use gimp regularly but really dont like its windows....