PDA

View Full Version : Questions

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 26th, 2014, 03:23
Still do not have how to make traps?
What is the function of the tab tables?

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2014, 07:34
Tables are a generic tool to be used in any game system for making rollable tables (random encounters, etc.)

The 5E ruleset will most likely go through some changes with the release of the core rule books for 5E. Currently, it does not make sense to build specialized windows for things like traps, etc; when the format and rules will be finalized in the next couple of months.

For now, I recommend using a story note to keep the trap information handy, and create a blank combat tracker entry (right click) if you need to track initiative for it in combat.

Regards,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 26th, 2014, 11:35
Got it.
But did not leave the starter, which from what I understand is a start to new generation of D & D books and when they leave will only be more detailed but the base starts the starter.

Irondrake
June 26th, 2014, 13:45
Traps are very sketchy right now and there aren't any real guidelines for them. If a trap requires a hit or an intiative, I set them up as an NPC and put them in the tracker. If they are a one-shot sort of thing and just requires a saving throw, I make a note in my Story and I have the players roll the appropriate saves and roll damage manually if necessary. Tables are for randomness. At least that's what I've found so far. There will be things that players can roll during character creation like Traits, Flaws, and Bonds that I will build as tables. They can use those if they wish. Also, there are hints at Wild Magic Surges...that will be a good use of a table :) Right now, we just don't know until August I'm thinking.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 27th, 2014, 15:00
I do not have much knowledge in programming part of the Fantasy Grounds.
But I wonder if it is possible to make the folowing changes in D & D 5E.
1 - Drag and drop items of type weapon in Combat tab.
2 - In the Equipment tab now leave the field filled currencies.
3 - Let the amount multipliable the same as the weight value.
4 - Auto calculation of cash paid (minus the amount of money from the value and name of currency).

I know it's not official yet, the D & D 5E is going to be different, but I think the drag and drop scheme can be availed in the definitive edition.

* The last field of coins is with a question mark (?) Because it does not know what to put.
In this summary is to become that?

6895 6896

El Condoro
June 27th, 2014, 15:29
If you're asking for what I think you are, that functionality is already there. If you drag a weapon onto the equipment tab it is added to the combat tab automatically. Also, if you parse the data using the 5E parser, you can drag and drop all the equipment onto the equipment tab and the data auto fills. That said, I am still trying to get the parser to import all the numerical values! In any case, it's already a do-able thing in FG2.

Griogre
June 27th, 2014, 19:28
I think he wants the cost of items deducted from the character's gold, etc, as well. I don't think this is as good to do as you think, though.

This is mostly useful only at character creation, so how do you tell the character sheet that that long sword, shield or other piece of equipment looted off an orc should *not* deduct gold too? And what about when you lower the quantity in inventory? Should you get the gold amount like you sold it? That won't work for things like ammunition, torches, potions or anything else you might use up.

I think you would have more hassle fiddling with the loot values than the effort it takes just to change the gold manually.

Irondrake
June 28th, 2014, 02:13
I agree with Griogre. Handle purchases manually so loot won't be upset later. In the treasure window, you CAN sell undistributed loot (and tell it if you want to sell at a discounted rate)...but purchasing should be done manually in my opinion.

jshauber
June 28th, 2014, 03:42
For other game, like 3.5 and Pathfinder I always create characters in Herolab and use HL to track everything so I can re-export and convert to XML as I level up. This makes all purchases easy to track and you can update with treasure gained/new items as you go.

I would guess at some point HL will release a 5.0 character creator so we will be able to do the same at some point.

Irondrake
June 28th, 2014, 04:19
If Hero Lab supports 5E, I will probably purchase it finally. I really do like the output from Hero Lab, I've just never had a need for it. Then again, with CNMS...I still may not. Will have to consider it once I know more about both systems.

Zeus
July 4th, 2014, 22:46
Isn't there a shop extension out there somewhere that allows for presentation and purchase/sale of equipment/items? Or am I imagining things. Either way the way I would approach this is a small extension that presents a small separate window with a few controls to browse available items (maybe drawn from available modules and factoring availability of items). In addition, similar to the PartySheet provide a view of a selected characters inventory. Using this view of the data (which can either be a copy or a reference) you can bind your purchase/sell actions and update the char sheet accordingly. This approach should have no impact on ongoing character inventory management as the char sheet logic is left unchanged.

El Condoro
July 5th, 2014, 00:04
Yes, there is a locations extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-Locations-(inc-Shops-amp-Towns)-Databse-Extension) and I think a new version is about to be or has just been released - it has regions, cities, towns and buildings all contained in it.