PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in 3.0.5..

Blackfoot
June 25th, 2014, 06:28
I don't see a thread for 3.0.5 bugs so I guess I'll start new one... (blame Trenloe if we run out)

Is anyone else having issues with encounters losing track of which tokens are set for them?
In CoreRPG running v3.0.5..
I build a generic 'Thug' and set a token for it.
I then drop him into an encounter 'Street Gang'.
I turn him into 9 Thugs.
I then set different tokens for each of the 9 thugs (something I was able to do in the past and it 'looks' like I can do now)... but...
As soon as I close the encounter.. wham. They are all set back to the base token again. ??

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2014, 06:50
The intent was that the tokens for each group within an encounter to all be the same. It has been this way for a long time (pre-3.0). The tokens shown are just token displays and are not saved to the database. So, the error in this case is that you could actually drop different tokens in the Placement section.

If you want to assign separate tokens for each Thug, you would create a group entry for each unique token.

Regards,
JPG

gmkieran
June 25th, 2014, 15:02
Prior to 3.0.5 in the 3.5/PFRPG rule set, selecting Full Night Rest from the CT menu reset casters' spells used. As of last night's update, caster spells are no longer being reset by this selection. No definitive answer on whether Short Rest resets anything.

M_A_G_O
June 25th, 2014, 18:01
I am going to take advantage of this thread,

I donīt know if itīs an error or just is the purpose, but itīs not posible to drag neither a class nor a race icon in the "special properties" section of the character sheet. I consider that this is a necessary resource to have. For being able to do this, i had to locate both race and class in the skills section, under "new skill". But its proper place is undoubtedly "special properties".

Thanks!!!

Paul Pratt
June 25th, 2014, 18:42
Hello noticed an issue in D&D 3.5. Using effects and DR lastnight I set a PC with "DR:3 piercing and slashing" and had the following error:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:776: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'nTempIndexAND' (a nil value)

Perhaps I am using DR incorrectly but I had no issues with using an "or" statement, or using the damage types singulary.

-Paul

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2014, 21:33
M_A_G_O,

What ruleset are you using?

Usually, rulesets do not support dragging and dropping of race/class, because those decisions on a PC involve quite a few additional decisions that are a consequence of choosing that race/class. None of the rulesets provided by FG attempt to support full character creation, but are built to be able to enter the data as laid out on a paper character sheet with some extra bells and whistles to help automate.

There is a character converter utility provided with FG that will convert character generator files for PFRPG/3.5E (from Hero Lab and PCGen) and 4E (from D&D Insider).

Regards,
JPG

M_A_G_O
June 27th, 2014, 13:40
M_A_G_O,

What ruleset are you using?

Usually, rulesets do not support dragging and dropping of race/class, because those decisions on a PC involve quite a few additional decisions that are a consequence of choosing that race/class. None of the rulesets provided by FG attempt to support full character creation, but are built to be able to enter the data as laid out on a paper character sheet with some extra bells and whistles to help automate.

There is a character converter utility provided with FG that will convert character generator files for PFRPG/3.5E (from Hero Lab and PCGen) and 4E (from D&D Insider).

Regards,
JPG

Hello, i am playing with the Pathfinder Ruleset, and, if i have understood you well, i have to say that i disagree with you. I mean, i also think that the character sheet should be like in FG like a paper one, but the fact is that in the normal character sheets (in paper), i also write down all the special features of a the race and class of the character. And with the core mods there is no way to do that. With the mods of Nickademus or similar is possible to do, because each feature is a "point", so itīs "draggable", but with the core mods, the race or class its a text.

I think that is very important that you can have gathered in a same place your abilities, both from race, archetype, class, or whatever. At least this is the way i see it.

Thanks anyway Moon Wizard for taking the time to answer me.

Blackfoot
June 27th, 2014, 17:19
There's some stuff that would be nice to have.. but it isn't a bug. There's only so much they can do as far as adding features. While it's great that folks are making modules to incorporate more of the different PF addons, they are not part of what is included with the FG ruleset. Someone might be able to code an extension to pull all this stuff together but it would be very complex.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2014, 19:07
Now that I understand better, it just hasn't been built yet.

There is something like this in the 5E ruleset, but it requires module and ruleset changes to support.

Please add to wish list.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2014, 20:26
Here's a wish list item to vote on.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=85685

Cheers,
JPG

Andraax
June 28th, 2014, 15:46
Another thing I just noticed - don't know how long it's been this way. For the C&C ruleset, on the character sheet inventory tab, there are check boxes for "Include on Minisheet". However, there is no link for a Minisheet on that tab...

M_A_G_O
June 28th, 2014, 16:45
There's some stuff that would be nice to have.. but it isn't a bug. There's only so much they can do as far as adding features. While it's great that folks are making modules to incorporate more of the different PF addons, they are not part of what is included with the FG ruleset. Someone might be able to code an extension to pull all this stuff together but it would be very complex.

Now that I understand better, it just hasn't been built yet.

There is something like this in the 5E ruleset, but it requires module and ruleset changes to support.

Please add to wish list.

Cheers,
JPG

I am sorry, but i i think that i am not achieving to explain myself. I suppose that i can get it with an example;

https://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u547/M_A_G_O/Capturadepantalla2014-06-28alas173946_zpsaa639ba3.png (https://s1321.photobucket.com/user/M_A_G_O/media/Capturadepantalla2014-06-28alas173946_zpsaa639ba3.png.html)

What i need to do is to drag the icons for dwarf and barbarian (for example) to special properties in the character sheet.

Hope iīve succeed in explaining this time ;-).

Thanks people for all your good work and efforts

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2014, 20:41
I understand, but the dragging would be per ability since abilities are sometimes level-based or sub race dependent or specialization dependent. This is where your request veers into character creation rules.

So to make this happen, each racial and class ability needs it's own record in the rules module, and the class records updated to contain those links. From there, some minor changes might be needed to make sure they can be dropped on PC sheet.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
June 28th, 2014, 23:29
This has been around a while I think. In the 4E Ruleset on the Abilities tab if you drop something into the Feats or Special Abilities lists the link will work fine on the character sheet. IE Drop the class Fighter(Knight) into Special Abilities or Alertness into Feats. However, when you open the Character Mini Sheet and click on the links to Alertness or Fighter(Knight) you just get a generic pop-up that only shows the name of the Feat/Ability and the detail is blank.

M_A_G_O
June 28th, 2014, 23:42
I understand, but the dragging would be per ability since abilities are sometimes level-based or sub race dependent or specialization dependent. This is where your request veers into character creation rules.

So to make this happen, each racial and class ability needs it's own record in the rules module, and the class records updated to contain those links. From there, some minor changes might be needed to make sure they can be dropped on PC sheet.

Regards,
JPG

Exactly, you're right, this should be, some day, the perfect and logical evolution of the system. But, for the moment, it would be right to be able to do what i comment. And i suppose that is far more easy.

darrenan
June 29th, 2014, 02:03
I have been having trouble with campaign state, such as level masking and token placement, going away when shutting down and restarting FG a few days later. It might also apply to unit damage in the combat tracker as well, not 100% sure on that part. Has anyone else noticed this? It used to maintain that information just fine across restarts, and now sometimes I'll restart the campaign a few days later and all that information will be reset, the masking and tokens will be gone (although normally the units are still on the CT). I will also have to manually clear out the combat tracker and re-add things, otherwise I'll see tokens randomly disappear after placing them from the combat tracker. I don't have a solid repro, and for obvious reasons I don't really want to try to repro it. Are you aware of any cases where this might happen? Perhaps it's something I'm doing wrong? It's really frustrating though, because I have to spend a bunch of time at the start of the game session to try to recreate the state from the previous session, which isn't always easy or possible.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 02:16
I have been having trouble with campaign state, such as level masking and token placement, going away when shutting down and restarting FG a few days later. It might also apply to unit damage in the combat tracker as well, not 100% sure on that part. Has anyone else noticed this? It used to maintain that information just fine across restarts, and now sometimes I'll restart the campaign a few days later and all that information will be reset, the masking and tokens will be gone (although normally the units are still on the CT). I will also have to manually clear out the combat tracker and re-add things, otherwise I'll see tokens randomly disappear after placing them from the combat tracker. I don't have a solid repro, and for obvious reasons I don't really want to try to repro it. Are you aware of any cases where this might happen? Perhaps it's something I'm doing wrong? It's really frustrating though, because I have to spend a bunch of time at the start of the game session to try to recreate the state from the previous session, which isn't always easy or possible.
Is it losing everything that you changed in the last session (i.e. going back to the state at the beginning - essentially not saving anything at all) or is it specifics like token placement and other such items?

The only thing that I can think of, as I haven't seen this myself, is that FG is not being able to save the campaign database. What directory is your base <FG App Data>?

Are you making any changes to the campaign at all? Such as changing/resizing images?

darrenan
June 29th, 2014, 02:22
Mostly it is the state of fog-of-war and token placement that is getting lost. The state of the CT and party sheet seems to be uncorrupted for the most part. As I mentioned, it's possible that current damage to entities on the CT might be getting lost, but I can't say for sure on that one due to my faulty memory :-P

I did recently move my FG data folder to my OneDrive folder so that it would roam and I could work on stuff when not at home. Maybe that's not a good idea?
Also, if the underlying modules being used were changed, is it possible that would have this effect? Example: In my Emerald Spire campaign, I have each level set up as a module. I'm seeing the state being lost in the main campaign that makes use of that module, and I did make some tweaks to the module since the last time we played. But I didn't change the map image at all, it was mainly treasure and NPC tweaks.

This isn't catastophic, just annoying.

darrenan
June 29th, 2014, 02:30
Also, since there have been a handful of updates to FG since the last time we played, I wanted to make sure it wasn't introduced by that.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 02:30
I did recently move my FG data folder to my OneDrive folder so that it would roam and I could work on stuff when not at home. Maybe that's not a good idea?
Yeah, might not be such a good idea for files that are pretty much constantly changing while you're gaming - if FG tries to save some data to a file while OneDrive was updating there could be a lock on the file and the data might not get saved. FG keeps all of the current session data in memory and writes changes to the campaign database file every so often (I think it's about 5 every five minutes) and when the GM exits the game. If OneDrive is occasionally stopping this file update process then that would explain why you're losing some data.

Masking is saved in a different file to the campaign db.xml file, but it would potentially have the same issue as it would be being updated each time the mask was changed and OneDrive might occasionally (not all of the time) prevent the file being updated.

I'd recommend disabling OneDrive during your game session, or moving your <FG App Data> folder somewhere that is not covered by OneDrive and backing it up occasionally.

When I'm doing a lot of work on PDFs (using Acrobat Pro) I have to disable my DropBox synch as it can break file saving and digital signature updates for Acrobat Pro. FG might have a similar issue...

damned
June 29th, 2014, 05:42
OneDrive is your issue - its not just OneDrive - DropBox and others will do the same.
My best reccomendation for you on this is to Zip up your campaign file before or after each session (game or prep) and drop it into OneDrive.
Probably most times you only access this from the same system. When you do want to run from the other session you will need to extract your zip backup to your campaigns folder and of course repeat when finished...
Its not as nice but Cloud drives dont play so well with DB style data.