PDA

View Full Version : Bug: 3.5E Ruleset - Can't re-add weapons

HoloGnome
June 22nd, 2014, 20:28
There is a bug in the 3.5E character sheet that prevents weapons from being re-added

1. Open up the Library resource for weapons
2. Drag a composite longbow to the Actions page
3. Delete this item
4. Try to drag it again - fails - no composite longbow appears

HoloGnome
June 22nd, 2014, 20:33
The problem appears to be that on delete weapon, vestigial character sheet entires are being left behind:

<id-00003>
<carried type="number">1</carried>
<cost type="string">100 gp</cost>
<count type="number">5</count>
<critical type="string">x3</critical>
<damage type="string">1d8</damage>
<damagetype type="string">Piercing</damagetype>
<description type="formattedtext">
<p>You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size. You can use a composite longbow while mounted. All composite bows are made with a particular strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency). If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the composite bow, you can’t effectively use it, so you take a -2 penalty on attacks with it. The default composite longbow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency. A composite longbow can be made with a high strength rating to take advantage of an above-average Strength score; this feature allows you to add your Strength bonus to damage, up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow. Each point of Strength bonus granted by the bow adds 100 gp to its cost.</p>
<p>For purposes of weapon proficiency and similar feats, a composite longbow is treated as if it were a longbow.</p>
</description>
<isidentified type="number">1</isidentified>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Longbow, composite</name>
<range type="number">110</range>
<showonminisheet type="number">1</showonminisheet>
<subtype type="string">Martial Ranged</subtype>
<type type="string">Weapon</type>
<weight type="number">3</weight>
</id-00003>

HoloGnome
June 22nd, 2014, 20:35
OK - I take it back, the problem is that if there is an item in the character inventory with exactly the same name as the item coming from the library, it won't move it to the Actions tab. Maybe there should be a user notification telling the user than an item with the same name exists in inventory and do they want to replace it.

When I delete the item from the inventory page, I can then re-add the weapon to the Actions tab.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2014, 23:34
It's working as expected.

1. When a weapon is first added to a character, the relevant weapon entries are added.

2. If additional items with the same name are added, then no weapon entries are added.

3. Deletion of item records which are weapons from the inventory will delete linked weapon records.

4. Deletion of weapon records does not affect inventory records.

Regards,
JPG

HoloGnome
June 23rd, 2014, 00:29
OK, great. In terms of basic user feedback, I would suggest that the app alert the user that the weapon can't be added because one already exists in inventory vs. just doing nothing and not telling the user why. It makes for a confusing user experience. Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't seen any error dialogs of any kind in the tabletop environment. Is there a mechanism to display basic user feedback/alerts?

Alternate solutions to showing no error/doing nothing include:
1. Offering to link the new weapon to the vestigial one in inventory with the same name (best)
2. Creating a new weapon and adding a number after the name - ie. "Longsword 01" (ok)

HoloGnome
June 23rd, 2014, 01:03
Feature Suggestion added here:
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=85542

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2014, 02:28
It actually increments the number of items of that type which are carried.

Otherwise, when you add 5 daggers to your inventory, you would get 10 weapon entries.

The issue you are referring to is only an issue if you specifically delete the weapon records, without deleting the linked inventory record. It's assuming in that case, that you wanted to carry the item but you didn't want to use as a weapon. If you delete the inventory item, it will delete the weapon records.

Regards ,
JPG

HoloGnome
June 23rd, 2014, 06:37
The current implementation is not very clear and entails assumptions about what users are supposed to understand and/or know regarding the operation (which they don't). The steps you outline are ones you know because you are close to the product. There are no error dialogs, the software doesn't prompt users to help them make the right choice (like asking if they want to delete the inventory item when they delete the weapon from the Actions tab), does not prompt them when they try to add back a weapon that was deleted (do you want to link to the weapon in inventory), etc. The implementation would benefit from some rethinking and should include improved error handling and basic user notification so that users don't have to struggle through issues that should never occur in the first place. Also, to be clear and to prevent any misinterpretation, this feedback is not hostile in any way. It is very abstract, unemotional quality feedback with a view towards improving product usability. I hope it is helpful.

damned
June 23rd, 2014, 12:46
Also, to be clear and to prevent any misinterpretation, this feedback is not hostile in any way. It is very abstract, unemotional quality feedback with a view towards improving product usability. I hope it is helpful.

You are one funny fellow.

HoloGnome
June 23rd, 2014, 13:11
If you think my disclaimer is funny, you should hear my knock knock jokes. ^_^