PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds - Hosting Game failure

fffreak9999
June 22nd, 2014, 18:22
Hi,

I am having issues trying to allow my players to connect to me.

I have tested my connection using the "Test" feature in the Load Campaign, and its constantly failing.

I have also opened the Port 1802 using AVG and my Router, and the above method still fails even when my players try connecting.

Even having my players trying to connect through Hamachi isn't working.

Please help.

Thanks

Danny

P.S I can connect to games other than my own, but its not helpful when I am the GM.

Griogre
June 22nd, 2014, 19:13
Sounds like it is a problem with your PC's firewall. Try setting it to allow FG to accept connections.

fffreak9999
June 22nd, 2014, 20:10
I turned my firewall to allow all.

And it still wouldn't work, is there any other things I could try?

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2014, 22:44
A few things to try:

If your router supported UPnP, remove your manually entered port forwading for port 1802 and enable UPnP. If your router has a table of currently acive UPnP port forwarding start Fantasy Grounds and refresh the table - see if 1802 and the IP address appear here.
Do you have more than one network card active on your PC? Wireless and a network cable connection? VPN? VMWare or similar network interface? If so, disable all of the interfaces except the one being used to connect to the Internet , then try again with UPnP enabled.
If you have another computer you can use for testing, install an unlicensed version of FG on the second computer and try to connect (Join Game) to the first computer (running as a GM) using the internal network address of the GMs computer. If this works then it is a problem with the router, if it doesn't work then it is a problem with the connection being blocked on the GM PC.

damned
June 23rd, 2014, 00:21
I have also opened the Port 1802 using AVG and my Router, and the above method still fails even when my players try connecting.

When "opening/allowing" port 1802 you also have to direct it to your pc.
Dont have WiFi and LAN connected at same time.

Launch a second instance locally and connect to localhost to rule out a firewall/av issue on the local PC.

fffreak9999
June 23rd, 2014, 15:59
Attempted the following:

1. Router Supporting UPnP - It does, attempted both and still fails.
2. Multiple Networks - This was the case. But when only operating on single network still fails.
3. Ran another instance of FG. Tried Connecting via localhost. Connection Failed.

Error: Could not Complete Login. Check the Network Settings.

How can I solve this.

Thanks for all the help so far.

JohnD
June 23rd, 2014, 17:09
What ISP do you use? Is your modem capable of acting as a router for wifi as well? If so, port 1802 or whatever else you need may be blocked on it, even if you aren't using the wifi capabilities because you have your own router.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2014, 17:29
3. Ran another instance of FG. Tried Connecting via localhost. Connection Failed.

Error: Could not Complete Login. Check the Network Settings.
I haven't see this error before - was this when you were trying to connect (Join Game) with another instance on the same PC using a Host Address of localhost?

If so try some of the following (for all of these tests do this with only one network card enabled):

Try joining game with the second instance using a host address of 127.0.0.1 - this should be the same as localhost, but will be good to check.
Test with all security applications disabled - Windows firewall, any other 3rd party firewalls, and A/V apps, any malware protection, Windows defender, etc..
Try starting the GM instance of FG as Administrator - right-click on the FG shortcut and select "Run As Administrator".
Disable all networking - then try the second instance again with localhost.

What operating system are you using?

damned
June 23rd, 2014, 23:40
ultimately if you cant connect to/from localhost there is a configuration on your local computer preventing the connection.
check your windows firewall.
check your antivirus product doesnt have a furewall component
check you havent installed a software firewall separately

fffreak9999
June 24th, 2014, 06:41
I will attempt running FG in administrator mode later.

Here are some specs that were requested:
ISP: Unicom

I tried running with AVG disabled but didn't seem to help, I may try resetting all the settings on the router and AVG later and go through everything again.
I even tried port forwarding and port opening using a mixture of AVG and my router. That didn't help.

damned
June 24th, 2014, 06:42
check your PM (private messages - top left of this browser window https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/private.php).

Panther
March 29th, 2016, 19:45
Dear Sirs,

I've faced a similar issue. Nothing helps. The program worked quite recently. Now nothing helps from the advised mesures in the FAQ section. Fantasy Grounds marks the connection status as failure. I'm trying to host a game. Drastically need your help.

ddavison
March 29th, 2016, 19:50
If it worked previously and no longer works, the most common cause would be that your router assigned your hosting computer a new IP address and you need to edit the port forward rule to point 1802 traffic to the new internal IP address.

ddavison
March 29th, 2016, 19:51
You can send screenshots of you router config screen and your connection test screen with your local IP address shown to [email protected] and we can look it over to let you know what you should change.

Panther
March 29th, 2016, 19:51
Thank you. Will try it.

Panther
March 29th, 2016, 19:59
Dear ddavison,

Thank You very much! The recipe helped! Thanks!

gamemasterbob
October 19th, 2016, 02:23
So.... what fixed it....???????????????

LordEntrails
October 19th, 2016, 03:25
Most likely his router assigned a new IP to his computer and he had to update his port forwarding to the new IP. Depending upon your router/modern, you can reserve/assign a fixed IP to a specific computer everytime it connects to that network. That way you don't have this problem.

Doubt anyone remembers the specifics 6 months later :)

mribeiro
October 20th, 2016, 21:30
I have the same problem, trying on my desktop and laptop. Couldn't get the "game" to work at a friends house to have a friend in the UK play. The Run Test fails too. Not seeing anything blocked on my firewall. I am able to RDP into the box and all my network games, chat tools work. Wish it just worked like other network devices.

damned
October 20th, 2016, 21:34
I have the same problem, trying on my desktop and laptop. Couldn't get the "game" to work at a friends house to have a friend in the UK play. The Run Test fails too. Not seeing anything blocked on my firewall. I am able to RDP into the box and all my network games, chat tools work. Wish it just worked like other network devices.

It does work like other network devices called servers. The players need to connect to your server so your server needs to be able to be found. See the links I posted on your other post. You can also - if you are technical - build your own VPN server for $USD10/year. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0

ddavison
October 20th, 2016, 23:25
Hello mribeiro, for the game being run from your friends house, you would need to have it port forward from his router to the local IP address that his router assigned to your laptop for port 1802. In addition, you should ask him to check his firewall security settings to make sure it is not blocking peer-to-peer connections. Once successful, the test should report back that it is successful.