PDA

View Full Version : Convert 4E adventure to 5E?

El Condoro
June 21st, 2014, 07:39
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyway...

Is there, or will there be, a way to convert a campaign/module done in the 4E ruleset to the 5E ruleset?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2014, 11:40
While the maps and story entries would still be valid, all of the NPCs and items are completely different formats.

One way is to do it is to create a copy of the module, change the ruleset parameter in the XML data, ignore the Module NPC and Item records, and sub in NPCs and Items from your own 5E material as needed.

A more complete conversion could be done, but it can be time intensive. Someone would have to determine what the conversion rules are for all 4E creatures and items and apply them to the NPC and item data. Also, there are publisher permissions and encounter balance considerations.

Cheers,
JPG

El Condoro
June 21st, 2014, 11:47
That all makes sense. I was only thinking of the basic story and map entries so I will give the XML data change method a go and see what happens. Thanks.

El Condoro
June 21st, 2014, 12:08
OK, just did a 'conversion' (changed the ruleset from 4E to 5E in the campaign.xml file). Very happy! All stories and maps are working as intended. NPCs and encounters will need to be redone but the really good news for me is that the NPC text sheets are all fine (they have a lot of data on them). I assume links will need resetting for NPCs and encounters, too. All-in-all pretty painless, really - compared to redoing the whole module! Cheers.