PDA

View Full Version : Small module of Combat Encounter maps now included

ddavison
June 21st, 2014, 02:03
Using the basic approach and Photoshop styles provided by Zeus, I decided that it would fun to put together a few generic, indoor combat encounter maps to include with all Full and Ultimate licenses. I purposefully left the details vague and the maps much less like a fully laid out dungeon and more like the old SSI goldbox series of maps they used for indoor encounters. I tried to capture the same basic feel of those, where a party of 6 could effectively utilize strategy to overcome their foes. There are plenty of 10x5 and 15x5 openings between rooms, which would allow a front line of fighters and tanks to effectively "hold the enemy back" while ranged fighters and spellcaster can comfortably sit back and control the battlefield from afar. By the same token, GMs can reach these choke points first and use the same tactics against the players.

Finally, there is an outdoor map that has one variant showing the full trees with foilage and another that only shows the tree trunks. For these, I used the tiles and placeable objects from Shockbolt's GM art kit. There is plenty more that can be done with that, but I hope you enjoy it. If nothing else, it gives people who just pick up FG a few maps they can reuse for sandbox games.

Run an update and look for the Combat Maps module in your module activation window to check them out. If you have any others you'd like to have included as well, feel free to send them over to [email protected] and I'll look at getting the module updated.

seycyrus
June 21st, 2014, 02:09
Do all of the originals of these include the square grid or does Dr. Zeus have them without the grid?

damned
June 21st, 2014, 02:53
i think doug did them "Using the basic approach and Photoshop styles provided by Zeus"

ddavison
June 21st, 2014, 03:12
Correct. There are a couple different grid styles and you can leave the grid off if you prefer or use a different one. I threw the outdoor map together at the very end and probably should have used a different grid. Did you want them without the grid?

Mask_of_winter
June 21st, 2014, 04:46
Too bad they don't work with Savage Worlds. Great idea though!

Trenloe
June 21st, 2014, 04:52
Too bad they don't work with Savage Worlds. Great idea though!
Yeah, a recent update has changed the module ruleset tag from "Any" to just "3.5E"... Not sure why?!?

Mask_of_winter
June 21st, 2014, 05:22
I changed the tag back to Any but it's still not working. Perhaps because it's 3.0 and SW is still 2.0

Trenloe
June 21st, 2014, 06:00
I changed the tag back to Any but it's still not working. Perhaps because it's 3.0 and SW is still 2.0
Works fine for me in SW if I only change the ruleset to Any (capital A) then restart FG if you have FG open.

Mask_of_winter
June 21st, 2014, 06:10
Ok, working now, forgot the Capital A to "any". These are nice generic maps. I might be mistaken, but it looks like some of the map elements from the mapcave03 are from caves of the underdark from the dungeon tile set.I've got some maps I'd like to share myself but I can't figure out how to add images to a thread tonight lol... done it multiple times before. When I start a new thread in the armory I don't get the option to edit my post (changing type font and adding images). Once I figure it out I'll be sharing :)

seycyrus
June 21st, 2014, 14:13
Correct. There are a couple different grid styles and you can leave the grid off if you prefer or use a different one. I threw the outdoor map together at the very end and probably should have used a different grid. Did you want them without the grid?

Well to be honest, it doesn't matter to me. I am an entry-mid level user of CC3 and have access to many maps already. But I was thinking about GURPS players who use FG. I think they would prefer for there to be a no-grid option. They can always slap down a hex grid as needed.