PDA

View Full Version : My steam purchased Fantasy Ground does not recognize pak file rule sets

XxLiveeviLxX
June 20th, 2014, 03:27
I just got FG last week and I am trying to load the AD&D ruleset 2ED.
I have placed the PAK file in the same folder as my FG exe.
But every time I run the game it does not see the rule set.
I have also made sure in settings that I told FG to look to Steam for updates.

What do I need to do to get this free rule set and several others to work with my copy of the game.

Thanks

Trenloe
June 20th, 2014, 03:53
Put the .PAK file in your <FG App Data Folder>\rulesets directory, not the directory where the .exe is. Get to the <FG App Data Folder> by clicking the "Open Data Folder" icon in the top right of the FG start screen.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Rulesets

SR_Magnar
June 25th, 2014, 03:14
Put the .PAK file in your <FG App Data Folder>\rulesets directory, not the directory where the .exe is. Get to the <FG App Data Folder> by clicking the "Open Data Folder" icon in the top right of the FG start screen.

One of my players is having a similar issue, when he opens Fantasy grounds he cannot click the folder at the top, nothing happens, he has installed 3 times.

He has placed the ruleset in the data folder and it is the correct folder, it still is failing to recognize the ruleset even after updates.

Trenloe
June 25th, 2014, 03:18
One of my players is having a similar issue, when he opens Fantasy grounds he cannot click the folder at the top, nothing happens, he has installed 3 times.

He has placed the ruleset in the data folder and it is the correct folder, it still is failing to recognize the ruleset even after updates.
What operating system are they running on?

Is the .pak file in the same directory as CoreRPG.pak, 3.5E.pak, PFRPG.pak, etc.? When you copy a .pak file into the \rulesets directory you need to restart Fantasy Grounds so that it reads any new files.

SR_Magnar
June 25th, 2014, 03:29
Operating system is Win7 64

We have done all of those things you have mentioned

The other files are in the directory

Presently he is unable to click the directory folderin fantasy grounds and finding it manually with appdata he has ran the updater as admin and it still will not recognize other rulesets.

SR_Magnar
June 25th, 2014, 03:38
So here is what I did, I teamviewed into him and launched with steam and had the same error that he has, I then used the executable from the FG folder rather than steam and it loaded recognized the files and launched with out any issues. So steam is not identifying his products or mods.

SR_Magnar
June 25th, 2014, 03:39
Thank you for the help though but as of right now it is working. Just not with launching with steam

ddavison
June 25th, 2014, 05:53
I can help you some time tomorrow over Google hangouts. Note that most of our files (all that are currently on DLC and most files added in the last few years) are added into our patch system and set to auto-install. All you need to do for most files is enter your FG forum usernamer and password into your settings and click Update and it will install them.

XxLiveeviLxX
June 25th, 2014, 21:28

Thank you very much for the advice this fixed it immediately. Only thing that sucks is the rulesets does not have any tokens or rule books or manuals that I can reference to create a campaign.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2014, 21:38
XxLiveeviLxX,

Only rulesets which are officially licensed from the publishers and sold through the FG/Steam store can legally contain reference manual or rule book materials. All of the rulesets sold through the FG/Steam store do contain reference material (Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Castles and Crusades, ...).

For Pathfinder and 3.5E D&D, the basic OGL data is provided automatically with FG. Additionally, the community has built several data modules with the remaining OGL content for Pathfinder. (See Pathfinder/3.5E forum.)

For 4E D&D, there is a parser written by members of the community that allows you to scrape the data from your D&D Insider account and build data modules for FG. (See 4E forum.)

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
June 25th, 2014, 23:32
Only thing that sucks is the rulesets does not have any tokens ... that I can reference to create a campaign.
Fantasy grounds come with a bunch of token modules that are ruleset agnostic - activate them from the tokens folder.