PDA

View Full Version : What does extending CoreRPG give me

ianmward
June 19th, 2014, 09:48
Hi,

It may seem like a stupid question, but I am new to this...

I really want to use FG for Shadowrun 4 & 5 but want to import my characters from Hero Lab. I have just written an impoter for Savage Worlds based on one kindly donated by dberkompas which he wrote for Castles and Crusades. This was not difficult (though it is way off being complete, I'm sure) but I know that one for Shadowrun is going to be much harder. Looking at the fantastic looking Shadowrun ruleset, I think I need to understand it better and thought that updating it to extend CoreRPG might be a good way to get to know it much better, refactor things so they'll be easier for the converter and prepare it for library modules.

My real question is: what benefit does extending CoreRPG give me and how much will it help with Shadowrun, which it very different from d20 based systems?
Will I end up overriding so much that I don't I don't have anything left showing through the layering?
How will I ever understand what CoreRPG does and how? Given the limited documentation?

Yeah, ok, that was 3 or 4 questions...

Thanks in advance

Ian

Valarian
June 19th, 2014, 10:02
It means that your ruleset sits on top of the CoreRPG, instead of being a copy of the ruleset as a base (the normal state before this). It gives you access to everything in the framework CoreRPG, to which you only need to add the changes you're making. It also means that you get the updates coming through for CoreRPG without having to specifically include them in your own ruleset.

ianmward
June 19th, 2014, 10:07
I understand that much, but what does that really mean?
What is 'everything in the framework CoreRPG'? And how much will I need to override?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but is there a detailed explanation of what it gives and how it works?

Valarian
June 19th, 2014, 10:19
Start up a campaign with CoreRPG. That's what you get as a base to start.

Moon Wizard
June 19th, 2014, 10:42
Basically, you would get what you see in CoreRPG.

In most rulesets built off of CoreRPG, they are then extended to replace:
* Combat Tracker
* Character Sheet
* NPC Sheet
* Item Sheet
In addition to sheet replacement, some rulesets go a step further to add automation to rolls from PC/NPC sheets or additional features to combat tracker, etc.

Cheers,
JPG

damned
June 19th, 2014, 11:40
also the whole CoreRPG and layered rulesets is pretty new in terms of the life of Fantasy Grounds so the CoreRPG ruleset is still young and getting pretty regular updates and improvements.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2014, 15:39
I'm not trying to be difficult, but is there a detailed explanation of what it gives and how it works?
See the "Basic Guides" section of the user guides from the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides