PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make folders for notes?

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 19:43
I am doing the ROTR AP and just in part 1 i have like 80 notes, the sin path, the 50+ town locations. I can see this getting kinda out of control as this goes on.

Thoughts?

Trenloe
June 18th, 2014, 19:52
Assuming you are the GM and not a player: Are these in the "Notes" area or the "Story" area?

It sounds like these should be in the story area, not in the notes area. Notes are primarily there for players to make note as they play. If you are the GM the "notes" you are making should probably be in the Story section, where you can make folders (tabs along the bottom of the window) to organise your data.

If you're a player, you can do some organisation by using links within a Table of Contents note, or something similar - see a possible screenshot here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20555-Formatted-Player-Notes

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 20:46
I am a GM and darn i spent a ton of time making all those notes... ugh

Callum
June 18th, 2014, 21:09
I posted a screenshot of the way I typically arrange Story items in an adventure module here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21145-Content-Categories&p=175958&viewfull=1#post175958

You may also be interested in the discussion about Rise of the Runelords here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21180-Rise-of-the-Runelords

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 21:12
Wow I hadn't realized they had those kinds of options for encounters and everything else too. Thanks a ton for the links! I was able to edit the xml file to copy and paste all my notes into the story. The format is the same thankfully and its easy to find\replace to make the map pins convert!

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2014, 21:15
Post the db.xml file from your campaign, and I will migrate them to Story records for you.

EDIT: looks like you figured out how to edit yourself.

Cheers,
JPG

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 21:16
How did you get those new icons, my icons are all the theater image with different colors. You have a bunch of different green ones for example.

Griogre
June 18th, 2014, 21:19
Try right clicking on the icon - there are a number of options, one option changes the icon and one changes the color. The changes are in a cycle so if you change it enough you will come back to the first "book" and "red".

Trenloe
June 18th, 2014, 21:19
How did you get those new icons, my icons are all the theater image with different colors. You have a bunch of different green ones for example.
Right-click on the tab and select change tab icon.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Categories

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 21:28
Ahh. My confusion was, I thought the 2 cycle buttons were left and right, ie back and forth. Now i see how it works.

damned
June 18th, 2014, 23:25
these very short videos might help...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd
Skip those that are not relevant to your prep sessions.

Also dont worry that they are Castles&Crusades - there is nothing ruleset specific in them.

greyhoundgames
June 19th, 2014, 01:40
This needs to be in the game somehow. I could have benefited from this when i first started, but I kinda just muscled through the learning curve and figured it out slowly over time. They are great videos.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2014, 01:57
This needs to be in the game somehow. I could have benefited from this when i first started, but I kinda just muscled through the learning curve and figured it out slowly over time. They are great videos.
With the release of 3.0.4 there is a link to the videos page on the first screen each time you open Fantasy Grounds: Getting Started -> Watch Videos.

damned
June 19th, 2014, 04:10

Hey greyhoundgames - they are pretty poor quality videos - they are my first attempts and I basically did them because of the influx of new players that were coming thru with the Steam launch.
Dulux_Oz has some much longer, more detailed and better quality videos too. I aimed to keep each of mine to a short specific topic. I havent done any since that first week. Are there any specific topics that could/should be dealt with next?

greyhoundgames
June 19th, 2014, 16:26
I think your being hard on yourself. After coming into FG as a user and trying to figure things out on my own, resorting to the forums when I got stuck, the main things I missed were the tab organization system and how best to use it, and that you can drag just about anything onto the map as a pin. I was only doing so with notes. It makes total sense now and is way smarter to have encounters as pins instead of having to dig them up from the encounters list every time a player reaches a new room with a fight in it.
So basically moving to the story thing instead of notes and making all the sub notes with links to maps, fights etc was the big thing that was not obvious as a fresh user. The second hardest thing to become familiar with is all the "text interpretation rules" that FG has to make things easy. Like how it recognizes the format of attacks, skill checks etc. Of particular interest is the effects and how to use them to streamline game play. Eventually I found the docs on those and that helped out. Most of the other details are fairly easy to figure out.

Its likely I would have learned a lot of these if I had purchased a paid campaign. The well met in Kel thelas is a sample campaign, but I think its big failure is that its a module. It should be an actual campaign all setup. I saw it in the modules list but paid it no attention because I assumed it was an addon. If it had been in the load campaign section or somehow shown as a "Open this first for a tutorial" That may have helped. I think to a new user, its not clear that modules can bring in notes,monsters(in your NPC list, rather then just as drag and drop usable things like the bestiary) etc. I just assumed all along that they were simply for getting bestiary's and spells and items etc as that's what almost all of the default ones are for.

Now I am a programmer myself and an investigator and I will put a lot more work into figuring out things then your average roll20 user so that I think is what FG needs to focus on. There is already a lot of bad press out there about the learning curve for FG.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2014, 16:57
Its likely I would have learned a lot of these if I had purchased a paid campaign. The well met in Kel thelas is a sample campaign, but I think its big failure is that its a module. It should be an actual campaign all setup. I saw it in the modules list but paid it no attention because I assumed it was an addon. If it had been in the load campaign section or somehow shown as a "Open this first for a tutorial" That may have helped.
There *is* a sample campaign exactly as you ask - called "A Tale of Dinor" that comes with Fantasy Grounds - it should be there in the Load Campaign screen.

greyhoundgames
June 19th, 2014, 17:47
I have no such campaign... Its possible I deleted it but It wouldn't make sense. I would have saved it in case I could have used it, knowing me.

Moon Wizard
June 19th, 2014, 17:58
If the installer does not detect an FG executable, it assumes a new installation and should install the example campaign. I'm not sure why it wouldn't. Been thinking of adding a toggle button to specifically install examples on the next update.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
June 19th, 2014, 18:00
It's been a while since I last installed FG, but I'm pretty sure "Well Met" replaced "Tale of Dinor" in the base install as a sample adventure module, but doesn't the web installer have an checkbox option to install "Tale" that's off by default?

Trenloe
June 19th, 2014, 18:06
It's been a while since I last installed FG, but I'm pretty sure "Well Met" replaced "Tale of Dinor" in the base install as a sample adventure module, but doesn't the web installer have an checkbox option to install "Tale" that's off by default?
They are both there in a recent install I've done: Tale of Dinor campaign (not a module - 2 versions: 3.5E and 4E) and Well Met (3.5E module).