PDA

View Full Version : Editing or adding to the Wiki

lokiare
June 17th, 2014, 03:20
I was going to try to suggest some new pages for the wiki as I learn the internals of the 4E ruleset, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that. Am I missing something?

dulux-oz
June 17th, 2014, 04:04
No, you're not missing anything - Moon & Doug have chosen (for the moment, at least) to restrict editing of the Wiki to themselves - do what I do: write up a txt file in the correct formatting and send it to Moon. If he likes it and thinks its worthwhile he'll put it up - or just send him the ideas

Cheers

lokiare
June 17th, 2014, 04:37
Well, I was wanting to add in what I've learned from the internals of the 4E ruleset. Things like:

"Manager_Actor -> getTypeAndNode(rActor)
This function returns a nodeChar object.
It is useful in getting a nodeChar from an rActor to use in functions like DB.getValue(nodeChar, "name", 0) when you don't have access to the nodeChar or the database node the character is stored in."

Basically a million individual entries about functions that I've figured out.

lokiare
June 17th, 2014, 04:43
It might be best if they set it up to where non-admin users can suggest new pages and then after looking them over an admin (Moon and/or Doug) could approve them so they are visible to everyone. Of course they would have to put anti-spam measures to stop spammers from signing up and logging in or posting spam and then review everything that gets put up, but if they want a comprehensive wiki, that's about the only option.

lokiare
June 17th, 2014, 04:44
Also, what would be the correct formatting? is it an html page or is there a special formatting for wiki sites?

dulux-oz
June 17th, 2014, 04:55
Also, what would be the correct formatting? is it an html page or is there a special formatting for wiki sites?

No, there's a special Wiki-Formatting. I use this site (https://wikignpi.googlecode.com/hg/jquery-preview-ed.html) to check how my formatting looks, but I had to go to Wikipedia and look up the correct formatting syntax - its easy to find :)

Cheers

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2014, 20:02
I think a page that walks through usage of the CoreRPG layer (such as ActorManager) would be great. Just send me your write up, in whatever form works for you. If MediaWiki formatted, it will probably get published a little faster.

The reasons you cited are several of the reasons why it is not an open wiki. We are thinking about opening up editing to more people that are long time users or developers after Gencon, but want to keep it clean and managed.

Regards,
JPG