PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a Token Module

sukEEt
June 16th, 2014, 16:49
I am making a set of tokens with all of the WTOC 3.5 artwork. I have my images, i just need to resize them and make a module. Can anyone tell me how to make a token module?

Trenloe
June 16th, 2014, 17:02
It's very similar to making other modules within Fantasy Grounds.

Have a look at the format of the tokens modules provided with FG, Animals.mod for example. Note: in windows you may not see the .mod or .zip file extension, you will need to change windows file explorer to show file extensions.

Rename Animals.mod to Animals.zip and unzip into a folder. You'll see:

definition.xml - This file contains the name that will appear in FG, ruleset to be used (Any is fine for tokens) and author info. Attached is an example file. Change the <name> (the name of the module as seen in FG) and <author> text as required.
Thumbnail.png - this is the small image that appears on the token module activation window.
A tokens folder - this where you put all of your token images.
Copyright Statement.txt - any appropriate copyright info if you are distributing your module.

Edit definition.xml to show the info you want (name & author), put the token image files you want in the tokens directory, zip up the structure from within the "animals" directory - select the files and the tokens folder and zip them up (right-click and select "Send to" -> "Compressed (Zipped) folder". Then rename animals.zip to <your module name>.mod and copy to the FG modules directory.

If FG is running when you copy the .mod file to the \modules directory, restart it. FG only reads the modules folder when it loads the campaign.

sukEEt
July 14th, 2014, 13:51
I am making numerous modules out of the CSUAC tile collection (open source) but I am not sure how to create a legit copyright page with it ... any ideas?

Trenloe
July 14th, 2014, 14:25
I am making numerous modules out of the CSUAC tile collection (open source) but I am not sure how to create a legit copyright page with it ... any ideas?
You can't, based off the CSUAC End User License Agreement: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/EULA.pdf. Particularly item 3b.

The CSUAC collection is free, but it is not in the public domain.

sukEEt
July 28th, 2014, 07:03
You can't, based off the CSUAC End User License Agreement: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/EULA.pdf. Particularly item 3b.

The CSUAC collection is free, but it is not in the public domain.

Thanks Trenloe. You are an infinite source of useful info.

Sarielo
December 12th, 2014, 14:12
mhh i done everythink like you say:

creaded a ZIP Folder and loadet in the description.xml,the statement ( copied and edited), and a tokens folder with folders for sortig in it. so named it and changed the .zip to .mod. But FG dont show my tokens? in the ledder token modul there is also folders in folders so i think thats not a problem

Sarielo

Trenloe
December 12th, 2014, 14:50
mhh i done everythink like you say:

creaded a ZIP Folder and loadet in the description.xml,the statement ( copied and edited), and a tokens folder with folders for sortig in it. so named it and changed the .zip to .mod. But FG dont show my tokens? in the ledder token modul there is also folders in folders so i think thats not a problem

Sarielo
Make sure you zip up the file from within the folder where the definition.xml file is (if your file is description.xml rename it to definition.xml). Don't zip by selecting just the containing folder from outside of that folder. That is, open the zip file afterwards and you should see definition.xml straight away, not the containing folder.

Sarielo
December 12th, 2014, 14:58
Make sure you zip up the file from within the folder where the definition.xml

Sorry it is definition.xml not Desc. now i try it othervise : taking the definition.xml and the folders with folder ( with the pictures in) and made a zip folder. i Renamed it to XXX.mod and copied in the module folder but it dosen work. there are 20 folders in with much pictrues. Could be that it is to much?

Trenloe
December 12th, 2014, 15:03
Sorry it is definition.xml not Desc. now i try it othervise : taking the definition.xml and the folders with folder ( with the pictures in) and made a zip folder. i Renamed it to XXX.mod and copied in the module folder but it dosen work. there are 20 folders in with much pictrues. Could be that it is to much?
What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Do you see the module in the module activation window (accessed from the token window, not the main library)? Have you made sure you've zipped up like I descriped above?

Trenloe
December 12th, 2014, 15:11
And restart Fantasy Grounds, it only reads the modules folder when it loads.

Sarielo
December 12th, 2014, 15:41
Every think done like everbody told me. libryry > Module aktivation> ther is not my Module in it

Trenloe
December 12th, 2014, 16:42
Every think done like everbody told me. libryry > Module aktivation> ther is not my Module in it
take a step back. Try it with just one token and see if that works. If it doesn't then remove any copyright images and post your module here so we can look at it.

El Condoro
April 23rd, 2017, 01:12
Because it caused me grief, I am adding this ...

Activating token modules (as distinct from other types of modules) should be done from the Tokens button (not the Library button) and then click 'Modules'. All your modules with tokens in them should now appear.

iotech
April 27th, 2017, 01:51
Because it caused me grief, I am adding this ...

Activating token modules (as distinct from other types of modules) should be done from the Tokens button (not the Library button) and then click 'Modules'. All your modules with tokens in them should now appear.

+1 This bit me a few times ;)

Galach
April 27th, 2017, 21:36
It's very similar to making other modules within Fantasy Grounds.

Have a look at the format of the tokens modules provided with FG, Animals.mod for example. Note: in windows you may not see the .mod or .zip file extension, you will need to change windows file explorer to show file extensions.

Rename Animals.mod to Animals.zip and unzip into a folder. You'll see:

definition.xml - This file contains the name that will appear in FG, ruleset to be used (Any is fine for tokens) and author info. Attached is an example file. Change the <name> (the name of the module as seen in FG) and <author> text as required.
Thumbnail.png - this is the small image that appears on the token module activation window.
A tokens folder - this where you put all of your token images.
Copyright Statement.txt - any appropriate copyright info if you are distributing your module.

Edit definition.xml to show the info you want (name & author), put the token image files you want in the tokens directory, zip up the structure from within the "animals" directory - select the files and the tokens folder and zip them up (right-click and select "Send to" -> "Compressed (Zipped) folder". Then rename animals.zip to <your module name>.mod and copy to the FG modules directory.

If FG is running when you copy the .mod file to the \modules directory, restart it. FG only reads the modules folder when it loads the campaign.

Good afternoon everyone.

Will this method work if I have multiple subfolders inside the "token" folder? For example, if I create a module for Playable Races and, instead of placing the tokens inside the token folder, I put them in “racial” subfolders (human, elf, dwarf, etc), FG will recognize those folders or is this a no go? I am thinking in something like this:

Playable Races (Module Tokens Main Folder)

-----------> Human (Token Subfolder)
-----------> Dwarf (Token Subfolder)
-----------> Elf (Token Subfolder)

I am currently creating a large number of tokens to use in my upcoming 5e campaign, and I am sorting the files in a structure like that, so it would be awesome to have this ready in FG.

Thank you in advance for the help =)

El Condoro
April 27th, 2017, 21:57
Yes, it will. It will create a token bag for each folder under 'tokens'.

Trenloe
April 27th, 2017, 22:39
See lettertokens.mod (comes with Fantasy Grounds) for an example of using multiple folders.

Salva
April 27th, 2017, 22:55
Hi, you can also use PAR5E for creating token and images modules. I found it easier :)

Trenloe
April 27th, 2017, 23:02
Hi, you can also use PAR5E for creating token and images modules. I found it easier :)
Image module, maybe, although I'd probably make an image module within the FG interface - quick, easy, can test to see how it works, etc.. This is what I use to make map modules. But, go with what you're comfortable with...

But if you're doing a purely token module - there really isn't anything to it: put all of the token image files in a \tokens directory in the module and have a super basic definition.xml file (basically to give the module a name). You'd spend way more time with PAR5E to create a purely token module.

As I mentioned above, look at the lettertokens.mod modules that comes with Fantasy Grounds, you'll see how simple it is and can replicate that format easily for your own token module.

Salva
April 28th, 2017, 00:03
As I mentioned above, look at the lettertokens.mod modules that comes with Fantasy Grounds, you'll see how simple it is and can replicate that format easily for your own token module.

I just looked to the module you pointed and you are very right!!! its very simple!!!
Sorry for not looking first at it and prejudge it was a long and nasty code.

Thanks for insist at it and killing my laziness!!!!
:D

Trenloe
April 28th, 2017, 00:06
Thanks for insist at it and killing my laziness!!!!
:D
LOL! My pleasure. :)

overlordblitz
September 30th, 2017, 22:02
I need some help in creating a token mod. I have followed the steps as described and it does not work for me. Attached I have created a PDF of the steps I am taking to create the token mod. All images are under 20 KB in size. I have been working on this now for three hours. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Zacchaeus
September 30th, 2017, 22:35
Looks like you are using winRAR. Can't use that one; you need to use the built in windows zip or something else that gives you a .zip file.

overlordblitz
September 30th, 2017, 23:37
Thank you for getting back to me. I tried as you recommended. I did not use WinRAR, I even uninstalled it from my laptop and tried the process all over again. The token module still does not appear.

Zacchaeus
October 1st, 2017, 00:29
I assume the ruleset is one of your own making? Try using All in the ruleset line in your definition.xml rather than the name of the ruleset.

overlordblitz
October 1st, 2017, 00:37
You my friend are awesome! That was the key. Once I switched the ruleset to Any, the module loaded without error. I cannot thank you enough.

Jay_NOLA
October 30th, 2017, 22:17
I'm having a problem with the token modules I've made. I'n using the template in the first post the module show up and work (can be loaded & unloaded, thumbnail shows up when they are not zipped in a .mod file form but are each in a separate unzipped folder in the module folder FG in AppData, but when zipped correctly and zip changed to mod they don't show up in FG. This doesn't happen with russets, adventure modules I've zipped or unzipped to do edit to in a text editor in or add a thumbnail to and zippered and changed the zip to an appropriate extension.

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2017, 22:34
Usually this is because the module isn't zipped up correctly or the definition file doesn't show the correct ruleset.

Bidmaron
October 30th, 2017, 22:57
Jay_Nola, be sure you are zipping the files and not the folder. It is a design flaw of most zip programs that actually causes there to be two layers of zipped folders instead of just the one.

Trenloe
October 30th, 2017, 22:59
It is a design flaw of most zip programs that actually causes there to be two layers of zipped folders instead of just the one.
Here we go again... No it isn't a design flaw, it's how all file handling applications work on computers. If you select a folder and ask an application to do an operation against that folder then you'll get that folder included in the operation.

Bidmaron
October 30th, 2017, 23:18
Can we just respectfully disagree on this please Trenloe?

Trenloe
October 31st, 2017, 01:02
Can we just respectfully disagree on this please Trenloe?
Fair enough. But can you please stop posting stuff that says things along the lines of "It is a design flaw of most zip programs..." It doesn't help anyone and it causes confusion to people trying to sort out an issue. They don't need to know that you think there's a design flaw as to how all file management applications work.

FG needs all of it's file types (rulesets, extensions, modules, etc.) packaging up the same way - ZIP from within the folder, not from outside of it. It doesn't matter if there's a design flaw in the ZIP application (your opinion). I read your comment as an excuse to raise this issue yet again. It wasn't needed and it didn't help anyone.

Bidmaron
October 31st, 2017, 03:59
Axe officially buried, Trenloe. I will try not to spin you up again. Especially since I need someone's help with something stupid I think I am doing (see other thread).

Jay_NOLA
October 31st, 2017, 20:22
It is the files that are being zipped and not the folder. I checked that first and have zipped up story modules, library module, and rulesets without problems.

bigbluepaw
May 2nd, 2018, 01:50
I'm sorry for a really stupid question, but where is the animal.mod file that Trenloe references in the second post in this thread? I see an clip image and text that says 'Attached Files,' but there is no link. Does this have something to do with the new forum design? Thanks for any and all help.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2018, 04:15
I'm sorry for a really stupid question, but where is the animal.mod file that Trenloe references in the second post in this thread?
In your FG \modules directory.

I see an clip image and text that says 'Attached Files,' but there is no link. Does this have something to do with the new forum design?
Make sure you're not in Mobile view of the forums. If you're not, change the forum theme (bottom left of the page) to "FGResponsive".

cpseudo3
April 11th, 2019, 06:35
Went through the steps above, all seems to work. Token Mod is read and can be activated. However, random bags are missing...any ideas?

aellongm
July 27th, 2019, 14:22
So I followed the steps described, but the module will not show up in Tokens inside FG. I've added the mod file as attachement if that helps. I compressed it from inside the folder, but nothing seems to help

damned
July 27th, 2019, 14:25
try eliminating the Starfinder subfolder

aellongm
July 27th, 2019, 15:28
try eliminating the Starfinder subfolder

That fixed it, thanks

ZooSKP
July 20th, 2020, 05:39
Hi-

Sorry to necro this thread, but I wanted to share a result: I was following the procedure of zipping the files, not the folder with 7-Zip and changing the extension of the resulting archive from .zip to .mod, and then not seeing the module show up on FG reload. The solution that I found was in my 7-zip settings. I changed the compression level from Ultra to Normal and the algorithm from Deflate to Bzip2, and then the resulting .zip file loaded in FG correctly. Earlier comments regarding the .zip settings being off are correct, but now we have specific settings that work.