PDA

View Full Version : Some 5E ruleset comments

VenomousFiligree
June 11th, 2014, 19:32
I had my first session of 5E on FG last night, which highlighted the following:

Can player movement be locked, so that when a player tries to move an arrow comes out indicating where they want to move too, which the GM can approve (similar to other rulesets I've used).
I couldn't see how to add Speed
AC didn't seem to auto calculate when armour was equipped
Is there somewhere to record a players Spell DC?

Really liked the look and feel of the ruleset, however I think it's going to take some time to fully get to grips with it! :)

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2014, 21:14
Here are some responses. Thanks for the feedback. Zeus and I worked together to define the look and feel of the ruleset.

1) Just right click on any token on a map, and select the "Lock Tokens" option.

2) Speed is a numerical field in the first section of the combat page of the PC sheet, and Special Movement is a string field in the same section. For NPCs, it's a fifth field down on the NPC sheet.

3) AC does not auto-calculate when armor is added to the character sheet in any ruleset. There's always the concern of auto-adjusting any fields, based on something added to inventory. Weapons are the only exception to this, since deleting the inventory entry deletes the weapon entries as well.

4A) Additionally, on the Powers page of the PC sheet, when you add a power, also add a group value (such as "Combat Superiority" or "Spells") to the power record. All group types allow you to specify the base DC of all powers in that group to be either "Ability Bonus" only or "Ability plus Proficiency Bonus". I think it defaults to Ability plus Proficiency.

4B) In the group field that appears at the top, you can change the group type from "Ability Group" to "Prepared Spell Caster" or "Spontaneous Spell Caster" by clicking the icon on the left side of the group record.

4C) Within each power, you can right click and select "Add Action" -> "Add Cast" to add a spell casting record (i.e. attack/save rolls for this power). Within the cast record, you can edit the individual spell DC ability and DC score. DC ability and score can be set to the group value specified above, or set to specific ability and/or numerical values.

4D) If the ability/spell is dropped from a module created in Par5E, the ruleset will attempt to build cast, damage, heal and effect actions for each power automatically. If the power is entered manually in the same format as the play test rules, you can right click and select the "Reparse Spell Actions" to achieve the same results.

Regards,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
June 11th, 2014, 21:30
Thanks Moon Wizard.

I see the Speed box, but its not editable, unlike HP TMP and WND which are?

I'll take a look at 4 and come back with any questions if I have them :)

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2014, 21:32
Sorry, forgot to mention that you click on the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the first header to edit the Init/Speed/AC fields, as well as adjusting the Hit Die rolls. I think the Hit Die rolls should be on the combat sheet, but haven't figured out how to portray there yet.

Cheers,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
June 11th, 2014, 21:49
Holy ****, those magnifying glasses sure open up a whole lot more!

Thanks
:)

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2014, 22:07
The idea was to make the top-level fields available for active use, while burying the all the details of how numbers are derived behind the scenes (i.e. magnifying glasses).

Cheers,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
June 11th, 2014, 22:38
I like it, it helps to keep the sheets clutter free :)

Zeus
June 21st, 2014, 21:26
Oops. Just spotted this thread. Apologies for not chirping in earlier. Glad you like the look and feel. I aim to revisit PAR5E + 5E integration just as soon as the new starter set and core rulebooks are released, so if you see any ruleset content thats missing, let me know.