PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5/PFRPG Spell caster bugs on character open and CT drop

gmkieran
June 11th, 2014, 14:54
Didn't see this in the 3.0.4 thread on in the HoH so here it is. Last night I opened up a campaign that I created under 3.0.3, but which I then edited and re-exported after the update to 3.0.4. I used several of the Paizo PFSRD resources in creating my NPCs, including a couple of heavy-duty spellcasters. When I opened said spellcasters last night FG threw a huge window of error messages, all apparently relating to various spell entries, at me before opening the sheet. Everything on the Spells tab appeared to link correctly, however, so I'm not certain what the errors were about (and I was in the middle of running, so I didn't screenshot the error messages, sorry!). Closing and re-opening the NPC re-created the error window each time. I also noticed a significant lag when trying to add those NPCs to the combat tracker - at least 5 or 10 seconds between dropping the link and having the NPC appear.

I believe the only extensions I had active were the languages (current version) and the latest wood theme, but I'd have to confirm that (might also have images active).

Anyone else seen similar errors when bringing up NPC sheets created using the PFSRD stuff or between 3.0.3 and 3.0.4?

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
June 11th, 2014, 15:20
I also noticed a significant lag when trying to add those NPCs to the combat tracker - at least 5 or 10 seconds between dropping the link and having the NPC appear.
You'll see these lags now (as of FG 3.0) as the whole PC is copied to the combat tracker database and so a NPC (or PC for that matter) with a lot of spell data can take a while to add to the combat tracker.

Markjan
June 11th, 2014, 20:25
Hello,

I have nearly the same problem than gmkieran !!!
Every campaign under DD3.5 or PFRPG prepared using FG3.03 and lesser version is now unusable !!! All spellcasters (both PCs and NPCs) have now a corrupted spell list wich throws script errors and corrupted effect displays.
Trying to build a brand new campaign shows no errors, though.

I can't believe we are only two guys having this weird behavior ?
Please let me know if you need any more details or screen shot !

Best regards.

darrenan
June 11th, 2014, 20:33
This looks very similar to an issue I reported a week ago, and which has since been patched. I recommend sharing your module/campaign with Moon Wizard, along with detailed repro steps, so that he can take a look.

Also, make sure you are on the very latest 3.0.4, it has been updated a few times since it was initially released.

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2014, 21:36
Yes, please zip up and share campaign folder to [email protected], along with steps to see the errors (so I can be sure I am looking at right records).

Thanks,
JPG

Markjan
June 11th, 2014, 22:50
Done :)

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2014, 23:00
I responded in e-mail. You have 6 extensions loading in your campaign. Disable each one until you find culprit, and leave disabled for now.

Some of the extensions may already be updated for v3.0.4 by their creators, check on the thread for each extension.

Regards,
JPG

Markjan
June 12th, 2014, 07:36
Thank You so much Moon,

Effectively, I should have started by testing without extensions... I'm very sorry to have bother you. Your response was quick and effective, as usual !

gmkieran
June 12th, 2014, 13:37
Markjan, if you could let me know which extension ends up being the culprit, I would appreciate it, or at least a list of the extensions so I can see which we have in common. I'll post mine if I can get to it tonight - fairly certain I only had 3 extensions running.

Thanks for the help, all!
GMK

gmkieran
June 18th, 2014, 03:48
Ok, so did a little testing myself tonight after our session (two of my players were complaining that their action tabs weren't working and appeared to be populating every entry on top of every other). I also had 6 extensions operating: Expanded NPC Weapons, 3.5e/PF Languages, Ability Damage Action Expanded Effect Tags, Alignment conditions, Enhanced Items (3.5/PFRPG) and Expanded Effect Tags. As it turns out, there were two groups of errors. The spell errors were eliminated by disabling Ability Damage Action Expanded Effect Tags and the other errors were eliminated by disabling Expanded Effect Tags. Note, I could only test with an NPC and a local PC, so I don't know for certain that disabling those fixed my players' issues. I will email the error files to support for your reference and verify that I have the most current version of those two extensions and see if their authors have updated them for 3.0.4.

Let me know if you think of anything else, please.
Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
June 18th, 2014, 03:55
and verify that I have the most current version of those two extensions and see if their authors have updated them for 3.0.4.
The author of both the Ability Damage and Expanded Effects has said that he won't be updating those extensions to 3.0.4.

I updated the alignment conditions extension to 3.0.4 just last night.

The PF Languages is compatible with 3.0.4.

I don't know about the others.

gmkieran
June 18th, 2014, 13:56
Thanks for the info, Trenloe! Out of curiosity, do you know if that's because the functionality of those is getting rolled into the rule set or just that he's chosen not to try and keep up with the changes in FG? I'll grab the new alignment conditions ext - that's one I needed for this run.

Disregard the question - I found his explanation in the thread on the ext.

Cheers!
GMK

flaviodupim
June 19th, 2014, 00:43
I have the same problem and I was very disapointed, because it happened just on my group first game after months trying to convince then to abandon the table and play with a virtual one.

Didn't see this in the 3.0.4 thread on in the HoH so here it is. Last night I opened up a campaign that I created under 3.0.3, but which I then edited and re-exported after the update to 3.0.4. I used several of the Paizo PFSRD resources in creating my NPCs, including a couple of heavy-duty spellcasters. When I opened said spellcasters last night FG threw a huge window of error messages, all apparently relating to various spell entries, at me before opening the sheet. Everything on the Spells tab appeared to link correctly, however, so I'm not certain what the errors were about (and I was in the middle of running, so I didn't screenshot the error messages, sorry!). Closing and re-opening the NPC re-created the error window each time. I also noticed a significant lag when trying to add those NPCs to the combat tracker - at least 5 or 10 seconds between dropping the link and having the NPC appear.

I believe the only extensions I had active were the languages (current version) and the latest wood theme, but I'd have to confirm that (might also have images active).

Anyone else seen similar errors when bringing up NPC sheets created using the PFSRD stuff or between 3.0.3 and 3.0.4?

Cheers!
GMK

Moon Wizard
June 19th, 2014, 01:15
As GMKieran found, it was tied to use of one or more community extensions that would need to be updated by the community.

Unfortunately, given our limited resources (2 people part-time), we do not have the ability to ensure compatibility with community extensions. We usually provide test versions of FG for a couple months prior to each release to give community developers time to look at changes.

In general, if you see errors, the first order of business is to disable all extensions.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 19th, 2014, 01:17
I have the same problem and I was very disapointed, because it happened just on my group first game after months trying to convince then to abandon the table and play with a virtual one.
Unfortunately this can happen when a community developed extension is no longer supported by the developer. There's not much that can be done if the code is not going to be implemented in the base ruleset - unless someone else is willing to take on maintenance of the extensions/s (with the original author's permission, of course). Which may not be a simple task depending on the complexity of the extension. The expanded effects and ability damage extensions are fairly complex.

flaviodupim
June 19th, 2014, 04:30
Thanks Moon Wizards, I disabled all the extensions and the errors stopped. I will try to play again on the next weekend.

Best regards.

As GMKieran found, it was tied to use of one or more community extensions that would need to be updated by the community.

Unfortunately, given our limited resources (2 people part-time), we do not have the ability to ensure compatibility with community extensions. We usually provide test versions of FG for a couple months prior to each release to give community developers time to look at changes.

In general, if you see errors, the first order of business is to disable all extensions.

Regards,
JPG

gmkieran
June 19th, 2014, 14:04
Flaviodupim, assuming you have the latest version of each extension, you should be able to re-activate any extensions you were using except either of the effects extensions ("Ability Damage Action Expanded Effect Tags" and "Expanded Effect Tags") The other available extensions have either been updated to be compatible with 3.0.4 or weren't affected by the changes in 3.0.4. If you're not sure about the version, there's a sticky of extensions in the 3.5/PFRPG sub-forum.

Cheers!
GMK