PDA

View Full Version : Editing Critters in Modules...

Blackfoot
June 5th, 2014, 22:17
Umm.. OK. So something weird happened to me today and I'm not sure if it's a BUG or a FEATURE... I'm sorta hoping it's a bug.
I opened a module that I'd just recreated using the FG PEM Utility... My Summon Nature's Allies module for PFRPG.

When I opened one of the monsters, instead of the lock being 'red' like it usually is, it was open and the critter was editable.
Closing the lock didn't seem to have any effect, it was still editable.
Closing the window with the lock closed caused it to be reopened from the module in 'locked' mode... but I could still unlock it.
I deleted some stuff out of one of the dudes to test it.
Closing the window and opening it again from the module.. the data was still gone.
Reloading the campaign.. still gone.
Seems like I can somehow edit the module directly... is this right?
I've never been able to do this before so this has thrown me for a loop... I'm now worrying about corrupting my modules by accidentally deleting stuff or editing it.
What has happened here!?!?

(OK.. I only sound a little panicked.. )

Blackfoot
June 5th, 2014, 22:27
OK.. another interesting thing... looked at 'Summonable Monsters' those critters appear to be acting buggy as well.
The other Bestiary Modules for some reason do not.. seems like there is some new problem associated with the modules I've created... there never was an issue with them in the past... wait.. at some point there was something about tokens.. right after we went to 3.0 I believe. The error no longer appears. Could that be part of the problem?

Blackfoot
June 5th, 2014, 22:29
The behavior is definitely buggy because the locks are not acting as expected. They do not actually 'lock' or 'unlock' the monster until you close it and reopen it from the module..

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2014, 23:19
All module data is fully editable by default, unless the static="true" attribute is added to the XML tags in the module. This was sporadically allowed/enforced in the past, but now everything uses same model.

As for the locks not working, that may be a different issue. Where can I get copy of your module with this issue? Can I just open in new PFRPG campaign, load module and click on any monster to see the issue?

Also, there's no need to use the FGPEM utility, just use the default Windows - Send to Compressed File option.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
June 6th, 2014, 00:15
All module data is fully editable by default, unless the static="true" attribute is added to the XML tags in the module. This was sporadically allowed/enforced in the past, but now everything uses same model.You mean like this?
<PFRPGSummonNaturesAllies static="true">
That already seems to be there.

As for the locks not working, that may be a different issue. Where can I get copy of your module with this issue? Can I just open in new PFRPG campaign, load module and click on any monster to see the issue?There should be a link to the module in the PF Modules (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules) thread...

Also, there's no need to use the FGPEM utility, just use the default Windows - Send to Compressed File option.So we are/can just using/use .zip instead of .mod now?

Trenloe
June 6th, 2014, 00:18
So we are/can just using .zip instead of .mod now?
Still using .mod, rename .zip to .mod

Blackfoot
June 6th, 2014, 00:22
Still using .mod, rename .zip to .mod
I can never quite figure out how to do that.. half the time it gives me Filename.mod.zip

damned
June 6th, 2014, 00:36
In your Windows Explorer - untick Hide File Extensions or in Win 8 tick File Name Extensions

Moon Wizard
June 6th, 2014, 03:56
You have to show file extensions in your operating system in order to easily set the file extension correctly.

The static attribute needs to be applied to the other top-level tags as well (i.e. L01 through L09), if you want the individual records to be read-only. Right now, only the list of entries under the "library" tag is read only.

I'll have to look into the locking issue.

Regards,
JPG