PDA

View Full Version : PFRPG Advanced Race Guide Module

RTFallen
June 4th, 2014, 02:33
Description: Transcription of Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide

Other thoughts:
With Moon Wizard and Trenloe letting me know about dual library files:
My current plans for the Race Builder portion of the book are to put it in a db.xml file for GM view only. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

I am pulling from the PRD now instead of a pdf, so hopefully weird characters will be less prevalent in the module.

Downloads

No dependency version:

Reference-Manual-windowclass.ext Dependent:
7202 (extension download here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21411-Reference-Manual-windowclass-for-3-5E-PFRPG-(Extension)))

Note to RM-Version users: The newest version of the Reference Manual windowclass extension is required with this new update. Without it, the feats added in this update will throw errors when you try to view them.

Install: Change the .zip extension to .mod then place in the module folder.

Progress
Base trait linking: Complete
Alternate trait transcription and linking: Complete
Archetypes transcribed with ability linking: Complete
Feats transcribed: Complete
Spells transcribed: Not Started
Items transcribed: Not Started
Race Builder: Not Started
Favored classes transcribed: Not Started

Update: 5 Aug, 2014
General

All Races have feats transcribed and linked.
RM Version formatted to the newest Reference Manual windowclass extension.
Copying issues fixed.

Complete update list here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?19-PFRPG-Advanced-Race-Guide-Module-Updates).

damned
June 4th, 2014, 02:57
good work - and welcome - just make sure that the content is OGL :)

Trenloe
June 4th, 2014, 03:16
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. :)

Callum
June 4th, 2014, 11:31
It's great to have all the text accessible inside FG - thanks! In terms of feedback, what it really needs to make it useful is for all of the traits and abilities to be listed as separate items that can then be dragged onto character sheets - have a look at Nickademus' PFRPG Races module here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19363-Character-Race-Module) to see what I mean. A module like that, with all the alternate racial traits in (you did say you were going to update it to include these), would be amazing!

RTFallen
June 4th, 2014, 12:39
It's great to have all the text accessible inside FG - thanks! In terms of feedback, what it really needs to make it useful is for all of the traits and abilities to be listed as separate items that can then be dragged onto character sheets - have a look at Nickademus' PFRPG Races module here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19363-Character-Race-Module) to see what I mean. A module like that, with all the alternate racial traits in (you did say you were going to update it to include these), would be amazing!

I will definitely take a look at adding that feature. I'm still learning everything that I can do (and can't do) within the system.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Resire

Callum
June 5th, 2014, 11:52
It's good to see you're working on this! However, with the 4 Jun update, I get the following script error from FG when I try to use it:

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file PFRPG Advanced Race Guide:client.xml - Error on line 74: Error reading end tag.

RTFallen
June 5th, 2014, 13:44
It's good to see you're working on this! However, with the 4 Jun update, I get the following script error from FG when I try to use it:

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file PFRPG Advanced Race Guide:client.xml - Error on line 74: Error reading end tag.

Thanks for letting me know! :) Fixed it.

Resire

Trenloe
June 5th, 2014, 13:54
This is cool.

Would you mind changing the data XML files so that there is both common and client? This will allow GMs to share it with players within a campaign without the players having already downloaded it. Simply copy the client.xml file to common.xml and include that within the module - there will be 2 identical files with the only difference being the file names (client.xml and common.xml).

RTFallen
June 5th, 2014, 14:08
This is cool.

Would you mind changing the data XML files so that there is both common and client? This will allow GMs to share it with players within a campaign without the players having already downloaded it. Simply copy the client.xml file to common.xml and include that within the module - there will be 2 identical files with the only difference being the file names (client.xml and common.xml).

Just added it to todays update. :)

Resire

EDIT: Just realized that common.xml is looked at before client.xml, so i just changed the library file back to common.xml.

HoloGnome
June 5th, 2014, 16:19
This looks very nice. I was looking for something like this a couple of weeks ago!

Two comments:
1. It would be nice if you included the ECL/LA ratings in the attributes so that players know how they will be leveling and/or how to adjust the character
2. You should include the specs for the "Lesser" races, where available, such as in the "Players Guide to Faerūn"

Trenloe
June 5th, 2014, 16:26
Two comments:
1. It would be nice if you included the ECL/LA ratings in the attributes so that players know how they will be leveling and/or how to adjust the character
2. You should include the specs for the "Lesser" races, where available, such as in the "Players Guide to Faerūn"
This module is for the Pathfinder Advanced Race guide, as per the PRD: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/coreRaces.html

HoloGnome
June 5th, 2014, 16:34
oic - so Pathfinder doesn't use ECL/LA? How does it balance a Svirfneblin vs. say...a non-advanced race?

RTFallen
June 5th, 2014, 16:52
oic - so Pathfinder doesn't use ECL/LA? How does it balance a Svirfneblin vs. say...a non-advanced race?

The party can be broken down to average Race Points rounded to the nearest multiple of 10 (via race building guide), then there is a table to show you how to adjust the APL for encounters.

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2014, 16:59
Just a quick note that you just need client.xml for a module to be available to players and GMs by default. You no longer need both.

Also, you only need multiple XML files if you are also including GM only data. (db.xml)

Cheers,
JPG

RTFallen
June 6th, 2014, 02:57
Thanks Moon Wizard.

RTFallen
June 6th, 2014, 09:01
Daily update available: All core races have basic trait linking.

Resire

Callum
June 6th, 2014, 15:38
Good to see it coming along! Some of your copy-and-pasting has put the ā symbol into the xml instead of the ' symbol, which doesn't display well in FG. A quick find-and-replace should fix this. You also have a few typos, most notably "archtypes" instead of "archetypes".

RTFallen
June 6th, 2014, 15:59
Good to see it coming along! Some of your copy-and-pasting has put the ā symbol into the xml instead of the ' symbol, which doesn't display well in FG. A quick find-and-replace should fix this. You also have a few typos, most notably "archtypes" instead of "archetypes".

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I will get that fixed for tomorrow's release.

Resire

RTFallen
June 6th, 2014, 16:06
put the ā symbol into the xml instead of the ' symbol

Can you tell me a page that this is happening on?

Edit: Found and fixed for tomorrow's release.

Resire

RTFallen
June 7th, 2014, 07:08
Updated.

All races have base trait linking.

Resire

RTFallen
June 8th, 2014, 13:47
Updated

Resire

RTFallen
June 9th, 2014, 11:59
Updated

Featured races alternate racial traits are up, including linking.

Resire

Callum
June 10th, 2014, 12:57
This is really coming along apace! I've done a little bit of updating myself, for one of my players to use, and thought I might as well share it. I've basically added in the linking for the stonelord's abilities (one of the dwarven archetypes). While I was doing this, I noticed that there were some invisible characters in the xml that were displaying oddly in FG (for example, wherever the word "stonelord's" appeared), so I did a find-and-replace to get rid of them. I also corrected a mis-typed link in the dwarven archetypes list, and one or two other little things. I hope you find it useful!

RTFallen
June 10th, 2014, 13:33
Updated

All races have alternate traits linked.
Stonelord (Dwarven Archetype) has it's abilities linked thank to Callum.

At this point I think that I will be starting another project to bounce back and forth between. Looking at the same book(pdf) night after night is making me lose focus. I'm thinking about starting to transcribe Mythic Adventures along side Advanced Race Guide. This will slow down releases on Advanced Race Guide, but I am not stopping my transcription.

Resire

Edit: Forgot to put the copy with Callum's changes added in. Fixed now

RTFallen
June 10th, 2014, 14:31
Forgemaster now links to the proper reference page.

Resire

RTFallen
June 11th, 2014, 06:04
Missed an end tag when changing some code structure. Fixed.

EDIT: Not fully awake yet. Me "Fixing it" broke it again. Will have a good version up shortly.

RTFallen
June 11th, 2014, 06:17
Functioning as intended now.

NOTE: I have changed the name of the module. It will now be listed as PFRPG Races in the Fantasy Grounds module list.

Resire

Trenloe
June 11th, 2014, 06:43
Great work on this! :)

NOTE: I have changed the name of the module. It will now be listed as PFRPG Races in the Fantasy Grounds module list.
That's the exact name used by Nickademus's core race module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19363-Character-Race-Module It might cause confusion if people are using both. Plus, if you're basing this on the advanced race guide it would probably be best to call it that so that people know what they are getting??

RTFallen
June 11th, 2014, 07:08
Great work on this! :)

That's the exact name used by Nickademus's core race module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19363-Character-Race-Module It might cause confusion if people are using both. Plus, if you're basing this on the advanced race guide it would probably be best to call it that so that people know what they are getting??

Ah, I didn't know that was the name of his. It was just listed in the Module List as Character Races. Yeah, it's no problem I'll change it back.

EDIT: Fixed. The name is now back to PFRPG Advanced Race Guide

Resire

Callum
June 11th, 2014, 22:13
A couple of minor things:

in the Dwarven Racial Traits, the linked version of Defensive Training comes up with the name Darkvision;
in the Hobgoblin Alternate Racial Traits, Engineer has got joined on to the end of Battle-Hardened.

RTFallen
June 11th, 2014, 22:51
A couple of minor things:

in the Dwarven Racial Traits, the linked version of Defensive Training comes up with the name Darkvision;
in the Hobgoblin Alternate Racial Traits, Engineer has got joined on to the end of Battle-Hardened.

Fixed.

Resire

wigwam
June 13th, 2014, 21:08
Thanks.

RTFallen
June 14th, 2014, 20:05
Thanks.

Your welcome.

Resire

RTFallen
June 14th, 2014, 20:06
Updated

All Core Races have archetypes transcribed and linked.

Resire

RTFallen
June 20th, 2014, 09:32
Updated

All Featured Races have archetypes transcribed and linked.
The first Reference Manual windowclass version is available in the first post.

Resire

RTFallen
June 20th, 2014, 22:39
RM Version updated to work with updated Reference-Manual-windowclass.ext

Resire

Blackfoot
June 21st, 2014, 22:17
This module doesn't seem to have the 'static' option set.. users can edit it. Is that what you want?

RTFallen
June 22nd, 2014, 00:09
This module doesn't seem to have the 'static' option set.. users can edit it. Is that what you want?

Thanks for letting me know. The RM Version was static, but I seemed to have took it of the normal version. It will be turned back on in the next update.

Resire

RTFallen
July 1st, 2014, 07:00
Updated.

All Uncommon Races archetypes are transcribed and linked.
No dependency version is static again.

Resire

RTFallen
July 18th, 2014, 05:44
Doing a major code restructure on these. May be a little while before I get to update it with new content.

EDIT: This restructure will allow me to maintain the module more effectively, and will open the way to an easier implementation of adding a player created race section in the module later on.

EDIT 2 (20 Jul, 2014): That didn't take as long as I thought it would. Onward to transcribing feats!

Resire

RTFallen
August 5th, 2014, 06:36
Updated

General

All Races have feats transcribed and linked.
RM Version formatted to the newest Reference Manual windowclass extension.
Copying issues fixed.

Note to RM-Version users: The newest version of the Reference Manual windowclass extension is required with this new update. Without it, the feats added in this update will throw errors when you try to view them.

Resire