PDA

View Full Version : We hates it forever precious! Run test epic fail! - FIXED

SquareCat
June 3rd, 2014, 19:18
Run test came up fail. Changed the forwarding. . . Fail. . . Tested the open ports. . . Fail. . . Motorola route model sbg6580

Mellock
June 3rd, 2014, 19:26
I'll just add, we tried adding the program to the Windows 7 firewall exceptions, we then tried to set up port forwarding according to https://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG6580/Fantasy_Grounds and then checking the success/failure in FG, then to make sure going to https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and checking there. To no avail.

Mellock
June 3rd, 2014, 19:28
And I asked about other firewall/antivirus software, which there shouldn't be.

seycyrus
June 3rd, 2014, 21:41
Have the GM open up a second instance and see if he can join game as a player.

damned
June 4th, 2014, 03:07
when you are next online shout out and I will give you a hand.

SquareCat
June 5th, 2014, 18:06
I can log onto other peoples game

Mellock
June 5th, 2014, 18:14
Yes, to connect as a player, you don't need to set up any port forwarding. It just comes into play when you want to host as a DM.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2014, 18:15
I can log onto other peoples game
Yeah, you don't need port forwarding to play in a game - it is just the GM who needs that.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2014, 18:16
Have you tried opening a second instance on the same PC as the running GM instance and "Join Game" with a host address of localhost ??

This will give an idea if there are connection issues locally.

SquareCat
June 5th, 2014, 21:41
localhost worked.

damned
June 5th, 2014, 23:13
are you still online squarecat?

ddavison
June 5th, 2014, 23:17
Do you have a wireless access point and a router in your home network setup? Can you plug in directly to the router and test?

For the port forward on 1802, did you use the local IP address displayed within Fantasy Grounds? If you run Start | Cmd.exe and then type "ipconfig /all", do you get more than one IP address listed?

jasonisop
June 5th, 2014, 23:43
That model of modem is really flaky if it is the one with built in wireless ( I am on my 4th one from time warner), but if you have your own router you can turn on bridge mode ( making it a dumb modem without routing). Instructions are at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27015950-TWC-How-to-run-a-Motorola-SBG6580-in-Bridge-mode. I only turn off dhcp and disable napt, and kill the wireless. Then do all my port fowarding on my personal router. A word of warning that model of modem (at least in my experience) does not like being messed with at all, settings wont stay and had to hard reset many times before i got a good set of settings.

SquareCat
June 5th, 2014, 23:45
Yes I do, No I can't. This new ka-jigger is a router/modem combo.

Yes to both. second ip address is on hamachi

ddavison
June 5th, 2014, 23:54
SquareCat, I just replied to a similar post here where it looks like they have the same modem as you.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21281-Port-Forwarding-(with-video)

If so, can you try the suggested fix and do a screenshot of your port forwarding screen to post here?

jasonisop
June 6th, 2014, 00:01
personally the only way ive found that model modem to forward correctly is to switch it to bridge mode and use your own router with it. My co workers with the same model also have the same issues and that was only way we all could get it to work.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2014, 00:11
Yes to both. second ip address is on hamachi
It sounds like your router may be very hard to get to work properly. If you already have Hamachi setup it might be worth giving that a go? Give your friends the Hamachi IP address to use when they connect to FG.

SquareCat
June 6th, 2014, 00:47
I'll try to bridge mode my modem with my old netgear router.

damned
June 6th, 2014, 00:51
check your PM first....

Magnatude
June 6th, 2014, 00:54
Try rebooting the router, and then try FG... Its what I (now) have to do ...
I never had this problem before in over 3 years, nothing has changed with my setup.
I think something has changed in the way wireless devices overtake ports on the router... dunno.

But try a router reboot via software, if that doesn't work unplug the router power wait a minute, and then reconnect the power.

damned
June 6th, 2014, 01:15
Ahhh Magnatude! I love that comment :)

I never had this problem before in over 3 years, nothing has changed with my setup.
No computer system is static. We install patches and updates and new software and uninstall software and browsers and plugins and our AV and Adobe update themselves all the time.
We take our devices onto different networks and connect to other networks and this can have other changes.
We turn WiFi on and off, we plug and unplug LAN cables.
Some routers even pull updates automatically.
And sometimes with things like UPnP it can even be someone else or some other device on your network who causes the change.

:)

Magnatude
June 6th, 2014, 03:44
Ahhh Magnatude! I love that comment :)

:)

lol...
I know... I try, I try so hard to not want change....
(Does Heston's fistpounding to the sands and cries out to the broken Statue of Liberty sticking out of the ground)

The networking gods conspire against me.
But at least I found my workaround, only for my love of FG.

Moon Wizard
June 6th, 2014, 03:58
And sometimes, especially in my house, the electronics just start acting flaky after 12-18 months. First I assume Comcast is the problem, then my router; and I'm usually right.

JPG

ddavison
June 6th, 2014, 14:42
Before going with a more drastic solution, you might check this video from a fellow comcast customer that just got resolved:
https://youtu.be/-3lEVKPwGeQ

SquareCat
June 6th, 2014, 14:54
Saw it last night just before bed. Thank you, I'll be trying this when I get home

SquareCat
June 6th, 2014, 19:40
Update - Run test SUCCESS!

ddavison
June 6th, 2014, 19:45
Congrats!

Magnatude
June 6th, 2014, 21:43
"woot!"