PDA

View Full Version : Play The Dungeon(IE Dungeon Keeper style)

greyhoundgames
June 2nd, 2014, 20:47
This is an idea I have had for a bit about an alternate campaign style to play in FG. Let me know what you think.

Players control the dungeon instead of the heroes.
Core Concepts
-Each player makes a bosses\mini bosses in the dungeon as their character
-Each player's job entails doing various things to advance the dungeon
-The heroes are controlled by the DM
-Dungeon has a Fame rating which influences how many and what strength heroes who adventure in your dungeon will be

Concept Details
-Players making Monsters
Players would follow the regular rules for creation of a character and pick from a race that represents what the dungeon contains. For example kobolds. Experience could be awarded for progressing the dungeon and slaying heroes.
*Consideration. How to balance hero-npc interaction. In they typical dungeon if everything attacked you together you would have no chance as the heroes. Are Player Monsters confined to certain areas where their responsibilities lie, that the heroes may attack separately? How would the Boss Player PC(the one deepest in the dungeon) ever see combat this way unless his companions had been killed off? Perhaps player monster PCs when defeated simply are considered fled until the hero scourge is defeated and then they can begin to recover\repopulate.

Player Jobs
-Surface raiding
Increase your dungeon's power by gathering wealth from the surface. This increases your dungeon's fame increasing the risk of hero incursions.
Unlock new creature types. Convince a wandering band of ogres to move into your lair
-Monster production and item creation.
New creatures are born
Equipment and magic items have to be forged deep underground
-Dungeon defence work
Laying traps
Setting up where the dungeon's various minions are positioned

Hero Attacks
-Some random table would have to be used based on fame to decide when and how many, and what strength heroes decide to explore your dungeon.
-Some rules would need to be decided upon to create the correct feel. Not a bum rush of an entire dungeon's worth of minions to slaughter the newcomers.
-Perhaps fog of war is turned on for areas that the primary player NPCs are not in.
-Heroes might take items and treasure from you in addition to slaughtering your minions

Fantasy Grounds Impact
Monsters can be added which are marked as friendly allowing players to direct minions and attack with them.
All the other regular expected FG tools would be at your disposal

Concerns And Questions
Does this sound fun or just a whole lot of work?
What mechanical difficulties with FG might I have not thought of
Any suggestions to improve this idea or deal with some of the concerns mentioned above?

GenesisX
June 3rd, 2014, 11:27
This has actually been done before in AD&D. Have a look at this module:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Dungeon

Or alternatively get a used copy from a gamestore of your choice. I think there is a pdf over at DriveThru as well.

greyhoundgames
June 3rd, 2014, 14:43
Interesting find. Thanks. Using this as a base might be a better way to go about things.

ballan4
June 5th, 2014, 00:15
I think that would be a lot of fun to play

greyhoundgames
June 5th, 2014, 01:39
We went with the Reverse Dungeon module mentioned by the previous poster. I converted what we needed to pathfinder.