PDA

View Full Version : Convention support idea

Nylanfs
June 2nd, 2014, 17:29
A friend of mine and I were watching a live FG game on Twitch.tv where all the players had video and mic's and it was pretty entertaining. Then it got me thinking, what if for GenCon (and/or Origins or any other big con). Everyone that wasn't able to get there were able to get games scheduled around the clock, and Doug and John could have a video monitor displaying the current game in the exhibit hall so potential customers could actually see it being played. And then have a QR code on the monitor or below that linked to either to a FG only channel, or the current game being shown?

Idea's?

Griogre
June 2nd, 2014, 17:51
I mentioned a similar idea for having the next FG Con during GenCon for anyone who could not make GenCon. Some of the games could be streamed on Twitch and maybe some could players from the Con could connect and play.

jshauber
June 2nd, 2014, 20:21
I like that idea. Since GenCon is in Indianapolis and about a 2 hour drive for me I would be happy to run/participate in games at GenCon for others to watch.

Might be cool to have someone sitting in the Smiteworks booth running a game in the afternoon(US) with a bunch of guys with funny accents on the other end talking thru a game via speakers the onlookers could listen to and watch on a monitor.

VenomousFiligree
June 2nd, 2014, 21:13
Hmm, does this mean I could attend GenCon from the comfort of my own home in the UK!? :)

Nylanfs
June 2nd, 2014, 21:37
Hmmmm

Rentable virtua-presence devices.....
Gaming geeks
???
Profit!!

jshauber
June 3rd, 2014, 02:08
Hmm, does this mean I could attend GenCon from the comfort of my own home in the UK!? :)

Yes VF it does...As long as I can get someone to allow me a spot to set up laptop with power and a wifi connection....

ddavison
June 15th, 2014, 18:08
Reliable wi-fi at the Con is always a problem. It's also crazy expensive to get for publishers... which is just silly.

Nylanfs
June 16th, 2014, 01:06
Yes I remember that for the couple of years I ran the booth for PCGen. Although I think you can rent WiFi cheaper than through the booth registration.

damned
June 16th, 2014, 12:55
streaming is bandwidth intensive...

Valarian
June 19th, 2014, 15:50
I like it as an idea, but think it's only of any real value where Smitework has a presence at the convention and they can set up a large screen to show a game in progress. It's then how a question of how you get the chosen GM / Player's view up on the screen (Skype screen share with a laptop connected to the large screen would work).