PDA

View Full Version : Pasting into Story replaces and other punctuation quotes with ?

ianmward
May 31st, 2014, 23:27
I am putting together some story content and am copying and pasting from Word to the Story window but punctuation like single and double quotes, and hyphens are all being replaced by ?s. Can anyone think why?

Thanks,

Ian

Trenloe
June 1st, 2014, 00:07
FG doesn't support full rich-text and certain characters in copy/paste. It should be fine with quotes and hyphens though.

Try pasting into notepad first to see if there is an issue with the font. Then copy/paste from notepad to see if that works.

darrenan
June 1st, 2014, 00:25
MS-Word uses funky extended-ASCII characters for quotes and hyphens, not the ASCII version, which is probably what you're running into. You could try saving your word doc as .txt and copy/pasting from there, but at that point you're really defeating the whole purpose. Alternatively, you could turn off auto-correct for the word doc you're working with and tell it to leave those characters the way you type them.

damned
June 1st, 2014, 02:27
not just MS Word - but many applications do the same. extracting data from PDFs will often do this too.
using notepad (or an equivalent/enhanced) will clean most of these for you.

ianmward
June 1st, 2014, 02:46
Thanks for the help guys, I saved as RTF and opened in write, now it's ok.

Cheers

Ian

ianmward
June 1st, 2014, 02:48
A similarly annoying problem is copying and pasting from a PDF (probably the most common use case), the paragraphs come across with line breaks where the lines break in the PDF.

What do most people do to help with this?

Cheers

Ian

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2014, 03:06
It's part of the problem with copying from PDFs. One of the people that works with PDFs more may be able to shed more light on why.

To help with that, both formatted text fields and string fields in FG support a CTRL+J shortcut key combination that will combine the current line with the following line.

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 1st, 2014, 03:15
both formatted text fields and string fields in FG support a CTRL+J shortcut key combination that will combine the current line with the following line.

I was just about to post that Notepad++ has exactly that feature - I dint know you could do it inline on FG.
Have yet to try it on FG but in Notepad++ you can select multiple lines to apply this action to - big time saver.

jshauber
June 1st, 2014, 05:20
Yeah pasting from a PDF can be a pain with the line breaks.

I guess I have just gotten used to it and go in after pasting and click end of line--delete to remove blank line---space if needed to get word spacing correct again.

There is probably an easier way but I have it down so doesn't bother me anymore, just whip right thru the stuff.

ianmward
June 1st, 2014, 07:57
great, thanks... I'll try the ctrl-J thing...

Ian

Trenloe
June 1st, 2014, 16:56
I use Notepad++ CTRL+J to join many lines together, if it is just a few lines I'll probably use CTRL+J within FG.