PDA

View Full Version : Simple module: C&C Gems for easy population of modules.

dr_venture
May 31st, 2014, 18:58
Here's a very simple module for populating treasure hoards, especially useful in converting existing modules: it's a collection of all of the gems from C&C into a tab in the Items window. The gems are all set up for using the ID functionality, so a bloodstone gem shows up as "Gem, opaque green with red spots" until it is IDed. Obviously all values are included. I just found it a pain to have to keep entering gem data when converting modules or creating treasure parcels, and found this much easier - hope y'all can find some use in it. Just drop in your Modules folder and change the file type from ".zip" to ".mod"... enjoy!

BTW, if Smiteworks would like to just roll the data into M&T at some point, you have my explicit permission. :)

Seeing as how it looks like the C&C gem list comes right out of D&D, and C&C is itself OGL (and the very limited use of this module), I think I'm pretty safe in distributing this.

damned
June 1st, 2014, 02:32
Hi doc - I just renamed to .ext but it isnt showing up for me...

dr_venture
June 1st, 2014, 02:48
It's a module - gotta put it in "Modules" and name it ".mod"

JohnD
June 1st, 2014, 03:04
Thanks for sharing this. :)

damned
June 1st, 2014, 03:21
Doh! I had just finished testing the mood lighting extension and wasnt thinking straight... must have been all those colours swirling around my screen!
How do I get them to show up as un-identified?

dr_venture
June 1st, 2014, 03:40
You have to have the ID "Game (GM) > Item Identification" option enabled in your campaign.

damned
June 1st, 2014, 03:51
Thanks for another Doh! moment. I loaded it in a test campaign that I hadnt set all the options for.
All good!

jshauber
June 1st, 2014, 04:24
Would this work for 3.5 or Pathfinder if I went into the Module and added those rulesets?

S Ferguson
June 1st, 2014, 20:00
Would this work for 3.5 or Pathfinder if I went into the Module and added those rulesets?

No, the internal mechanisms for items is markedly different between the two rulesets.

Cheers,
SF

jshauber
June 2nd, 2014, 14:40
No, the internal mechanisms for items is markedly different between the two rulesets.

Cheers,
SF

OK thanks, I was hoping since both are built on CoreRPG that there would be some crossover....

S Ferguson
June 2nd, 2014, 15:09
I wish the same.... oh, how I do...

Cheers,
SF

taoistpunk
May 24th, 2015, 15:31
Trying to use this .mod file to function but no luck. it shows up in my Modules Activator, and I open it, but it does not appear as available. Is this .mod no longer functional?

Andraax
May 24th, 2015, 16:24
So, after you open it, you don't see a new tab on your items window with gems in it?

dr_venture
May 24th, 2015, 19:05
I think Andraax probably nailed it: it's just a regular FG module created in FG itself. This means that when it's activated, nothing will show up in the Library. The gems show up in a new tab in your items window... almost as if you just created a library of gems yourself in FG.

taoistpunk
May 26th, 2015, 17:40
Ooooo...did not think to look there. When I get back home I will take a look. Hopefully it's there! Thanks.

taoistpunk
May 26th, 2015, 23:45
ok. All good. very useful. We need more modules like this...any idea if someone is sitting on a repository of such goodies?

dr_venture
May 28th, 2015, 03:39
Can you think of other modules like this that would be useful to have? They're not too hard to make, just takes a little time... if I don't put it together, maybe another in the C&C community would be willing to create it?

dulux-oz
May 28th, 2015, 06:56
Can you think of other modules like this that would be useful to have? They're not too hard to make, just takes a little time... if I don't put it together, maybe another in the C&C community would be willing to create it?

Dr, you might want to hold off for just a smigon - I'd hate for you to put a whole lot of work in for it to (potentially) be rendered less useful because of something I do (which I know you'll like and want to use).

Talk to me offline if you want to and I'll send you another "draft".

taoistpunk
May 28th, 2015, 14:45

Simple magic items would be a great help. +1 weapons and armor, common potions, scrolls etc. Building parcels doesn't take forever but I have to create new items for each game, and a single repository would be useful.

Also, a generic NPC mod would be good, though I'm not sure how difficult that might be to build. Innkeeper, Wench, Storekeeper, stableman....Sometimes I want to quick-populate. Now, I've been playing for a long time, so I have plenty of NPC's built, but when I was new to it, this would have been very useful and a big timesave.

taoistpunk
May 28th, 2015, 14:46
Dr, you might want to hold off for just a smigon - I'd hate for you to put a whole lot of work in for it to (potentially) be rendered less useful because of something I do (which I know you'll like and want to use).

Talk to me offline if you want to and I'll send you another "draft".

Ooooo..Not sure what you're working on but I can keep a secret ;) You've peaked my interest. We (my group) love CnC and I'm glad it has such a dedicated group of guys working to keep it going on FG.

Andraax
May 28th, 2015, 14:51
For NPCs, I just grab the appropriate race out of C&T, change the name, add a weapon, possibly adjust the AC. It's pretty trivial. Simple magical weapons are likewise trivial - grab the base weapon out of the PHB, edit the name. Then, when it's added to a character's sheet, just drop the +1 (or whatever) into the combat screen.

Potions and scrolls would be nice - they are the most time consuming.

dulux-oz
May 28th, 2015, 14:59
Ooooo..Not sure what you're working on but I can keep a secret ;)

:) Not so much a secret as a level of professionalism which won't allow me to give a Release Date of Soon(TM) or anything else like that - the only reason Dr V gets anything early is because he's my beta tester and also helps me out with the CnC specific graphics for my stuff.

But as a teaser: have you seen my Locations Extension, Weather Extension, and/or Alternate ColourGizmo? If you haven't then they're on these forums and on the Extensions Page of the Wiki. If you have then a clever person should be able to extrapolate what is in all of these and maybe... just maybe... get an idea of what's coming down the line.

Mind you, Dr V didn't see what was in the latest draft coming at all :o

damned
May 28th, 2015, 15:02
taoistpunk export your NPCs and share them... dont leave it all up to the good doctor :)

taoistpunk
May 28th, 2015, 15:54
:) Not so much a secret as a level of professionalism which won't allow me to give a Release Date of Soon(TM) or anything else like that - the only reason Dr V gets anything early is because he's my beta tester and also helps me out with the CnC specific graphics for my stuff.

But as a teaser: have you seen my Locations Extension, Weather Extension, and/or Alternate ColourGizmo? If you haven't then they're on these forums and on the Extensions Page of the Wiki. If you have then a clever person should be able to extrapolate what is in all of these and maybe... just maybe... get an idea of what's coming down the line.

Mind you, Dr V didn't see what was in the latest draft coming at all :o

I've recently started using your Locations extension (which I LOVE...thank you ever so much). It makes managing my Homebrew world so much easier. I haven't used the weather ext. but have in installed.

I know CnC only makes up a small perc. of games being played, with PF and now 5e breaking through, but we are a dedicated group of players/CK's and we appreciate all you, the Doc, and others have done to keep CnC current and on par with the features of other, bigger rulesets. Hopefully some of the new players funneling in from steam/WotC site will take the CnC/OSR plunge...

taoistpunk
May 28th, 2015, 15:55
taoistpunk export your NPCs and share them... dont leave it all up to the good doctor :)

I will endeavor to do so. It's only fair ;)

dr_venture
May 30th, 2015, 06:01
I think I can be obtuse enough to make Mr. Oz happy: No, not something I expected at all -- for me, it's a very, very intriguing peek into an area of computer-assisted gaming I hadn't given thought to (of course, maybe I'm slower than others on this). I think it's a new kind of critter for FG, anyway.

Hat's off to you, Mr. Oz! I look forward to seeing the community's reaction... and I'm wondering if it'll spark a kind-of new flavor of FG add-ons.

JohnD
May 30th, 2015, 06:28
Intrigued I am.

https://www.empireonline.com/images/features/100greatestcharacters/photos/25.jpg

dulux-oz
May 30th, 2015, 07:19
I think I can be obtuse enough to make Mr. Oz happy: No, not something I expected at all -- for me, it's a very, very intriguing peek into an area of computer-assisted gaming I hadn't given thought to (of course, maybe I'm slower than others on this). I think it's a new kind of critter for FG, anyway.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse - well, I am, but only because I don't want to get people's hopes up only to have the risk of dashing them if I can't pull off what I told them was coming. I put out enough teasers, hints and "hold-on, you may want to..." as it is - some that I haven't delivered on yet even after so long because things come up and I can't meet (my own) release dates - so I don't publish release dates or super-fine detail for the above reasons. :)

Of course, I'm always happy to work with my fellow Community Devs to try and make sure I don't step on anyone's toes - hence my comment a few posts ago. I'm quite happy to discuss my plans & what I'm working on with a fellow Dev in private to facilitate this.

Hat's off to you, Mr. Oz! I look forward to seeing the community's reaction... and I'm wondering if it'll spark a kind-of new flavor of FG add-ons.

Ah, but that's just the first - remember, I said it was done primarily as a proof-of-concept :)

dulux-oz
July 26th, 2015, 11:30
Intrigued I am.

https://www.empireonline.com/images/features/100greatestcharacters/photos/25.jpg

Well, it was released yesterday John, so head on over to the Extensions sub-forum of the Armory - you'll see it and its brother Extension (which I also hinted at in a previous post) :)

damned
July 26th, 2015, 13:03
They look very interesting - well done mr Dulux_Oz!

dulux-oz
July 26th, 2015, 13:47
They look very interesting - well done mr Dulux_Oz!

Umm, thanks - actually, I had you and FG-Con in mind when I designed the CSG; I hope you & the others find it useful.

damned
July 26th, 2015, 14:56
Umm, thanks - actually, I had you and FG-Con in mind when I designed the CSG; I hope you & the others find it useful.

interesting :)
One of the scenarios Ive run at FGCon starts out co-op but usually turns PvP :)
I wonder how that would graph...