PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG and Dice Macros

JamesManhattan
May 30th, 2014, 17:56
Hey programmers,

I like how the CoreRPG basic ruleset allows you some flexibility to create your own character sheets. It's pretty darn daunting to a newb to figure out that you could drag dice onto one of the abilities lines and it stores the dice. Those wikis are confusing as heck too. A nice tutorial or a "for-dummies" starter section would go a long way. (and not a youtube based one)

Anyway, my real point is this. I can see in the ruleset where it parses dice expressions. A really cool feature would be to be able to parse more complex dice expressions. It would go a very long way in helping further rulesets based on the CoreRPG. Such as what roll20.com can do.

if you want exploding dice you put a ! behind them like /roll 3d6!>4 and all 4s or greater then get rolled again and added.

or if you wanted to roll 8 d100's and drop the 3 lowest /roll 8d100d3 the d drops

if you wanted to roll a bunch of d6's and count how many successes such as /roll 3d6>3 this adds up a 1 for every roll over 3

or re-rolls lower than a certain number, like Brutal damage in 4E /roll 2d8r<2

This page https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference has a bunch of very useful expressions, that I could probably program myself in an extension, but you programmers might already have it for fantasy grounds.

If it existed, I could imagine using the "roll" section of an NPC in the CoreRPG to be able to create an extreme amount of different NPCs for different rulesets. Just by being able to type lists and lists of dice expressions in there, the section expands to hold a very large amount of text! Not to mention if you added a dice expressions section to the player character sheets.

Thanks

Moon Wizard
May 30th, 2014, 20:01
More advanced dice options are on the wish list currently.

They can be built as additions or extensions of the current ruleset code, or built into the FG engine. The challenge is in the prioritization with other features to make a more generally easier to use feature. The syntax for dice expressions is probably the simplest part to build; it's the back end logic that takes more work.

There are a few rulesets that already handle this customization of roll types in the ruleset code, but are fully formed rulesets. (Star Wars EotE, Savage Worlds, Rolemaster)

JPG

damned
May 31st, 2014, 01:09
Hey Moon Wizard - I think that this is a very common comparison between Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. Whilst those with some coding skill can make the dice do anything and do it much more nicely than Roll20 - for the average user the non standard dice rolls and accessibility is a lot better over there....

Trenloe
May 31st, 2014, 02:44
How about enabling dragging of /die XXXX commands to the CoreRPG character sheet? That would help a bit with doing custom dice.

ImaTarget
May 31st, 2014, 15:12
I want to second this, because at the moment the Documentation on the Core ROG ruleset and how to get non standard dice to work is non existent as far as I can tell. So looking at R20 for some inspiration for dice Macros might be wise. But in general anything that makes stuff clearer for the user would be appreciated. Some basic LUA libraries for common non standard dice with EXTENSIVE commenting and a wiki page that explains everything so a layman can understand would be good as well.

VenomousFiligree
May 31st, 2014, 15:48
I think that would help with my drop highest / drop lowest request.

Griogre
June 1st, 2014, 21:06
How about enabling dragging of /die XXXX commands to the CoreRPG character sheet? That would help a bit with doing custom dice.

I really like this idea, Trenloe.

Adding better /die support to CoreRPG would make it a better generic ruleset and add more functionality to all the derived rulesets. I also believe that adding support for arbitrary die like a d7, etc is a good long term idea. The /rand works but you can't do something like /rand 8 + 2.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2014, 04:06
I also believe that adding support for arbitrary die like a d7, etc is a good long term idea. The /rand works but you can't do something like /rand 8 + 2.
Any die type is now supported using the /die command - you just don't see dice being rolled as a random number generator is being used rather then the 3D dice mechanics. This includes the ability to have modifiers, e.g. /die 1d7+2. However, you can only do one die at a time, /die 2d7, for example, doesn't work.

damned
June 3rd, 2014, 04:53
a much more comprehensive dice command line would be really useful...

Griogre
June 4th, 2014, 00:54
Any die type is now supported using the /die command - you just don't see dice being rolled as a random number generator is being used rather then the 3D dice mechanics. This includes the ability to have modifiers, e.g. /die 1d7+2. However, you can only do one die at a time, /die 2d7, for example, doesn't work.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know a single arbitrary die would work - I think I tried it with multiple dice.

Arion
May 26th, 2016, 11:18

Did this ever happen? I have been playing around with a few things, and this would be a useful feature. I am hoping that it has been enabled in the last two years since the original post...

damned
May 26th, 2016, 13:18
hahaha.... speak of the devil...

not quite available to use yet but see this sneak peek of MoreCore....

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/morecore.gif

Arion
May 26th, 2016, 13:29
Ooh. Very nice indeed!