PDA

View Full Version : Missing associated skill on items.

Tiqon
May 29th, 2014, 23:06
Hi.

Finally after a loooong break Im getting to play again! yay!

So now the questions and rants begins again!

I have made a new character and am adding items to that character. When I right click and add on the equipment page I get to chose an associated skill for the item (for getting the bonus for the skill chosen I guess) but where to add the bonus?.

Also I have a character whom I use as an Itemholder, so I can make custom made items and keep them for later.

When I make a new item on this characters equpiment page I cant chose associated skill... What am I doing wrong?

There is no other difference with the two beside I made the itemholder a long time ago and the new is... well new :). But I have older characters too made around the same time as the itemholder, I get the associated skill on those guys when making a new item...

Picture of the two situations. Left is the itemholder guy, the right my new character.

Dakadin
May 30th, 2014, 00:32
The associated skill is only really used on the Combat tab to fill in the OB so it won't really help in the inventory list. Since each PC could change the name of their skills, I set it up as a dynamic drop down list of their current skills. Once they add it to the combat tab, they can set it to the appropriate Associated Skill and it should fill in the OB.

The current version of the RMC ruleset uses about a half dozen different item types which causes some of the confusion. Campaign items are different than weapons, herb, transportation, etc. I plan on fixing it in the next version. It is just a plan to resolve and keep backwards compatibility. It gives me a headache every time I work on it.

Tiqon
May 30th, 2014, 09:38
Thanks Dakadin. I actually think I asked you in private earlier but instead of looking for that answer, I decided to ask in the forum so as others might see the answer if they had the same questions :).

Im not sure I understand the reason that one can make items with the drop down and one can't. I have, at the time I do this, only right clicked on the item list and chosen add, on both. But if it only adds to OB's anyway it really does not matter, I'll just do it the manual way.

Normally if I make a weapon with bonuses I normally add them to adj. vs AT (so I add +5 in all the categories on the combat tab), is this not the "correct" way (meaning the way to do it as a workaround)?

Yeah I have whined about items before ;), and I think its a mess (and I know you did not make it ;)). Personally I would not mind it gets scraped all together and made to work, backcompability be damned! I would gladly make a note of what my characters have and just do it all again, if that is the cost for items/equipment that works. That was my oppinion. There is no reason you should have an headache because of it :).

Dakadin
May 30th, 2014, 19:44
I think I remember having that conversation with you now that you mention it. :)

I added the associated skill so that the OB wouldn't have to be updated every time the skill changed. I might have set it so it was only visible or only added it to the item type used by the combat tab. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yes, right now the best way to handle weapon bonuses is to add it to the Adj vs AT fields.

I would rather deal with the headaches so that it runs smoothly for everyone. When I get a bit further along I will likely ask for some campaigns that I can test the conversion process on. That way it should run smoothly for everyone.

Tiqon
May 30th, 2014, 20:04
Im ALWAYS available for testing, you know that ;).