PDA

View Full Version : Confused on licenses

greyhoundgames
May 28th, 2014, 18:47
So I have seen some complaints about how you need ultimate edition for people who are unlicensed to play with you. This matches what the license description says. However my friend and I have been playing with 1 DM license and one demo copy of the game without issue. What are the limitations for playing in this configuration?

Valarian
May 28th, 2014, 19:12
The demo version can run a single player game, but you're unable to save any changes. People with the demo license can connect to an Ultimate license as a player.

The Lite license is a player only license. You can join Full/Ultimate license games as a player.
The Full license is the GM license. You can run a game for players with Lite/Full/Ultimate licenses.
The Ultimate license is the same as Full, except you can also have unregistered (Demo) players in the game.

Griogre
May 28th, 2014, 19:39
Just for completeness, anyone with Full or Ultimate license can be a player in a game run by someone else with either a Full or Ultimate license.

It is usually cheaper for a group with multiple GMs to get a mix of Full and Lite licenses rather than multiple copies of the Ultimate license.

greyhoundgames
May 28th, 2014, 20:10
The demo version can run a single player game, but you're unable to save any changes. People with the demo license can connect to an Ultimate license as a player.

The Lite license is a player only license. You can join Full/Ultimate license games as a player.
The Full license is the GM license. You can run a game for players with Lite/Full/Ultimate licenses.
The Ultimate license is the same as Full, except you can also have unregistered (Demo) players in the game.

So unless my buddy upgraded to ultimate without telling me, this is not true because i am demo and I am able to play fully featured with him having a DM license...

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2014, 20:27
When using a GM license (i.e. Full), you can have a single Free license connect to you and the campaign data will be saved. As soon as another player connects with a Player, GM or Ultimate license, the Free license user will be disconnected.

When using a Free or Player (i.e. Lite) license, you can have another Free license connect to a demo campaign, and the campaign data will not be saved.

Regards,
JPG

greyhoundgames
May 28th, 2014, 20:33
When using a GM license (i.e. Full), you can have a single Free license connect to you and the campaign data will be saved. As soon as another player connects with a Player, GM or Ultimate license, the Free license user will be disconnected.

When using a Free or Player (i.e. Lite) license, you can have another Free license connect to a demo campaign, and the campaign data will not be saved.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks. this is what we are seeing. We play 1 dm and 1 player. Thanks for clarification! PS its only a matter of time before i buy this too :)

ballan4
May 29th, 2014, 03:52
Give in to the dark side! lol

JHolt287
May 30th, 2014, 23:16
I bought the Full License back on May 10th and was able to have two friends with no license connect without a problem. Now, only one can connect at a time. Did I miss something somewhere about a grace period or what?

Thanks!

Trenloe
May 30th, 2014, 23:24
I bought the Full License back on May 10th and was able to have two friends with no license connect without a problem. Now, only one can connect at a time. Did I miss something somewhere about a grace period or what?

Thanks!
That was because during FG Con all full licenses are upgraded to ultimate licenses for the duration of the convention. You're back to having a full license now allowing only 1 free license to connect, and 1 free license only - if a lite/full connects when a free is connected the free will be kicked out.

JHolt287
May 30th, 2014, 23:27
Thanks for the quick reply! I do appreciate the info :)

Magnatude
May 31st, 2014, 17:43
Something people may not realize.... when you switch to Ultimate, you enter a whole new world in Fantasy Grounds.
Not only can your friends play with Demo or paid, but you also have access to ANYONE willing to try Fantasy Grounds without paying, for as long as you let them.
If you LOVE GM'ing and if you have the time, you could play every day with many people and make a ton of new friends.

A lot of my Demo users have become lite/Full owners so this License works at getting new customers for Smiteworks.

For you as a GM, not only can you host for ANY of your friends, but you have access to anyone out there willing to DL the Demo.
If your goal is to GM as much as you want, or play as a player with any license out there. You will easily have thousands of hours of gaming outside of your group of friends.

I myself, didn't realize when I got Ultimate, how much more gaming you get into. Steam exploded the user base, I'm doing a lot of gaming lately under the ire of the wife... I need to cut back!